Thread: echinacea as natural antibiotic

Thumbs up echinacea as natural antibiotic

the coneflower is a beautiful flower, and the juice from the entire plant is a powerful antibiotic-along with heavy doses of vitamin c, 2 tablespoons several times a day will whip a cold- echinacea is the juice from the coneflower, but the dried flower especially the top with all the seeds can be used as an effective and delicious tea-

I'm not sure if I consider echinacea tea delicious, but I drink it in cycles throughout the winter. It seems to be more effective (in my opinion) when cycled. I switch back and forth between it and green tea about every week to week and a half through the winter, drop in some honey and a dab of cayenne pepper if I start to get a sore throat or plugged up. When mid spring comes around I go back to green tea full time. I always felt like it worked.
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by the wanderer View Post
    the coneflower is a beautiful flower, and the juice from the entire plant is a powerful antibiotic-along with heavy doses of vitamin c, 2 tablespoons several times a day will whip a cold- echinacea is the juice from the coneflower, but the dried flower especially the top with all the seeds can be used as an effective and delicious tea-
    Thanks for the heads up.

So is this a point of interest in the purchase and use of product?

http://www.puritan.com/echinacea-gol...ea-_-echinacea

Or a suggestion on foraging, harvesting, processing methods and use?

http://www.meadowsweet-herbs.com/art...-useful-plant/
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thumbs up coneflowers last all summer and really work well

i we all need a little help from the slavery to big pharma- i thank you the references to help us use the natural way out- i just wanted to point that my grand mother lived in the middle of nowhere and used TINTURE of echinacea- to sa ve lives- one of my uncles was bitten by a rat and shortly after had the blood poisoning lines running up his leg from the wound. she poured the tinture on the bite and had him drink the rest of the bottle slowly- he was up and around in no time- the same is true with animals -their calf got bit by a diamondback- on the nose - my grandma made it drink the tincture - it got up in a short time and soon was feeding again--believe it or not- all the best to you folks

We all like to learn new to us methods materials....and if it can be natural and foraged...then learning what products, what methods of processing, what part to use and for what...will help all of us when needed if only for the reason of self sufficiency.

Antidotal references like Gamma and rat bites make more sense if backed up by "what product, how prepared, how much, how used etc".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Echinacea is a complex story. Harvesters collected so much wild plant that it became like American Ginseng, hard to find, which is sad. The other issue about just recommending plant matter is allergies. Many many people are allergic to certain plants. I have a friend who took two Echinacea tabs when she felt a cold coming on. Her husband called her at work to tell her he felt bad and was going home, she recommended he take two tabs. Anaphylactic shock and a trip to the ER taught her a valuable lesson. Don't assume you or the person you are with is going to be okay taking what you take....