Thread: Auto Hunter Prototype

Default Auto Hunter Prototype

I just finished the prototype auto hunter today, I'm about 75% happy with it. I guess, I thought I would just knock the first one out of the park...lol. I learned a lot from making this one, Along with this learning curve I had to figure out how to use a lathe at the same time, any way it works good, there is a tiny bit of play in the open locked position I hope I have figured out a way to correct this, time will tell, it will not close without pushing the button.

a break down of parts and sizes
    blade is 1/8" stock thickness cpms-35vn stainless
    bolsters are 416 stainless
    liners are 410 stainless
    spacer/stop bar is 440c stainless
    scales are camo g-10
    303 stainless screws, pins, and pivots

7 1/4" total
    blade is 3 1/8" from leading edge of bolsters

I had plans on making this one out of nicer materials but decided to just finish it and carry it as a field test/prototype as it didn't pass my initial expectations and therefor didn't want to spend any more time or money on fit and finish.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    here is a video of it in action
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Just curious, but how more difficult is it to make a folder than a fixed blade? It looks so much more complicated.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
    Just curious, but how more difficult is it to make a folder than a fixed blade? It looks so much more complicated.
    for me the difference is night and day, folders are tedious and require precise techniques, which I am lacking in. Some times I get it right the first time, sometimes I end up re-making the small parts over and over trying to get them right. I'm working on one now that I'm incorporating my lathe and mill to try and get the small parts right the first time. I turned the button on this one about 4 or 5 times before I got it close to right.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

I think that is fascinating.....and kinda blow my mind.....but Hey,.....Finest kind, very cool....Thanks for posting.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

One of the better "prototypes" I've seen.
    I like the clean lines.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Heck I have to make multiple attempts at parts for fixed blades (all I've ever made) sometimes.... Could have something to do with me rushing and getting too anxious
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I carry automatics in the field quite a bit for the same reason most people carry a one hand lock-blade, ease of opening and security of a locked blade.

One of the things I have discovered is that it is very easy to hit the release button accidentally and close the knife while working or open the knife while it is in the pocket if there is not some way to lock it both open and closed other than the button.

It is one reason that my favorites use a lever lock. One mechanism can do both jobs and not be triggered accidentally.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Looks horrible. Send it my way...I will take it off your hands. I am just that kind of friend.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee