Thread: Looking for leather

Default Looking for leather

Where do you folks find the best prices on leather?
    Example is not the main thing in influencing others it is the ONLY thing.

Used to mostly buy mine at Rendezvous (Mountain Man Re-enactment events)....several dealers there for leather (cow hide) and buckskin (deer, elk hide), raw hide (all) and furs tanned hair on.
    Or do my own buckskin and raw hide.

Most folks get theirs for Tandy now.
    http://www.tandyleather.com/en/?gcli...j_LhoCJBbw_wcB
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I get all of mine from Tandy - usually wait for a sale and then buy enough to hold me over until the next sale.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

....or I have been known to stalk the "urban buffalo"......Big leather couches and recliners on the curb.....
    Dangerous game for sure.

I try to sneek up on them, cut off the leather and get away before getting hollered at.....(just kidding)...but it is a resource I have used.
    Just be picky.....some have bugs.

There is a local store that sells leather and Tandy stuff. They have a "scrap" pile of odd shaped pieces. I usually go through that for leather that is a little cheaper.
    Another option is 2 hand/thrift stores. Sometimes you can buy a used couch with real leather. Sure, most of the leather is really worn, but not the back panels. You can also look for used purses or bags.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

what no one has seemed to touch on is "what kind of leather are you talking?" because depending on its use, depends on what 'type' to get. Chrome or veg tanned?

Chrome tanned is what is normally in those Tandy scraps bags....which is often the cheaper of the two but what the article below doesn't tell you is it's pretty much unsuitable for any type of non-stainless steel. There are, among other chemicals, acid salts used in the tanning process and that will eventually eat away [corrode] high carbon metals like that used in most knives and handguns.

http://en.silvateam.com/Products-Ser...Chrome-tanning

Veg tanned leather uses natural plant ingredients to accomplish the tanning process but takes considerably longer than chrome tanning. It's best for carbon steels.

http://en.silvateam.com/Products-Ser...etable-Tanning

So..."what do you plan on using the leather for?" is the question you need to ask and answer yourself.

Upholstery, Garments or Clothing?....chrome tanned.

Sheaths, belts, holsters, slings? Veg tanned.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Good point.....and good advice.
    Question was general.....as was the answer....and centered on price....not best for.....

That said....many bulk leather vendors have a selection of everything, some not so much.
    Gotta start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Good point.....and good advice.
    Question was general.....as was the answer....and centered on price....not best for.....

That said....many bulk leather vendors have a selection of everything, some not so much.
    Gotta start somewhere.
    True...but...why do something twice when you can have the answer up front? Saves the 'creator' time and money.

Use Chrome tanned leather to make a holster....is soft but unstable [even with a thumb strap] and will eventually eat away at a non-stainless steel firearm. It doesn't tool well at all and often resists stains and other chemicals.

As opposed to paying a bit more for a heavier Veg tanned leather which is stable for handguns, doesn't corrode them, takes stains and chemicals very well and can have some of the most beautiful artwork tooled into it.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

Like I said....Good point...Good advice.....?????

I think that came out wrong......lemme rewrite it so it better reflects my "meant-to-be-more-humble" writing style...

What I originally wrote [was in a hurry and had to leave the house for a few mins]:

Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    True...but...why do something twice when you can have the answer up front? Saves the 'creator' time and money.

Use Chrome tanned leather to make a holster....is soft but unstable [even with a thumb strap] and will eventually eat away at a non-stainless steel firearm. It doesn't tool well at all and often resists stains and other chemicals.

As opposed to paying a bit more for a heavier Veg tanned leather which is stable for handguns, doesn't corrode them, takes stains and chemicals very well and can have some of the most beautiful artwork tooled into it.
    The re-write, what I meant to say or more to the point, what I meant to be "heard":

True....but I'm of the personal opinion that I'd rather do something right the first time. If I can offer some advice on something I'm familiar with, to someone who is just starting out, I'd try to help save them the troubles I have experienced in the past.

Using Chrome tanned leather to make a holster.....it's a much softer leather but is not rigid enough to be stable...even with a thumb strap. The acid salts are bad for carbon steel, it doesn't tool well at all, resists stains and other chemicals needed to make stuff look and perform well. On the flip side, this leather is great for close-to-skin garments, upholstery and some smaller bags and satchels. It's really good for lining bags and such.

Veg tanned leather is much better for heavier projects like armor [sca and larp stuff], holsters, sheaths, belts and gun slings because it's more rigid [generally can be had to insane thicknesses like 14-16 oz], takes tooling/stamping much better, is great to experiment with stains/antique-type finishes and doesn't have the corrosive salts in the tanning process.

The downside is that Veg tanned leather is more expensive and takes longer to process from animal-to-finished product. Chrome leather can be created in about a day or two, where Veg tanned can take 30-60 days, depending on manufacturer and the tannin used.

Being that I'm always looking for a 'better deal', I must also concede that sometimes you have to pay a little more for the right tool for the job. Leather purchases just happen to be one of those circumstances....one should not skimp or sacrifice usability for cost.
    Last edited by druid; 11-10-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure what all I will be making but a holster for one of my revolvers is definitely among them. Did not know that about chrome tanning. I have tanned some the fur I have caught, fox and coon mostly. I use something called Curatan. You salt down the hide to pull whatever out. Then you do an acid soak at about a 2pH for 24 hours. Then you rinse thoroughly and as it drys you apply the Curatan. It does good for wall hangers.

Anyway I think I will run to Baltimore to Tandy and see what they have. Are the folks there usually knowledgeable enough to know what tanning was done and what uses they are good for?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by madmantrapper View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure what all I will be making but a holster for one of my revolvers is definitely among them. Did not know that about chrome tanning. I have tanned some the fur I have caught, fox and coon mostly. I use something called Curatan. You salt down the hide to pull whatever out. Then you do an acid soak at about a 2pH for 24 hours. Then you rinse thoroughly and as it drys you apply the Curatan. It does good for wall hangers.

Anyway I think I will run to Baltimore to Tandy and see what they have. Are the folks there usually knowledgeable enough to know what tanning was done and what uses they are good for?

Paul
    ok. As far as holsters go, you want a veg tanned leather in at least 6 oz weight or more. 6 oz is probably the most common to use and is by far, the easiest to work with [against heavier weights]. The higher the ounce, the thicker the leather. 14 ounce is a beast to work with but will last a few lifetimes if taken care of.
    In addition to your leather, you will NEED a few other supplies:

Purchase with the leather:
    Needles [pack of 10 is cheap], heavy sewing thread [NOT lace], 4 oz jars of Feibing's Oil dye [if you want to dye it], wool daubers for the dye [or use common sponges] and some beeswax [for waterproofing].
    Stamps and tools are nice but get expensive. I'd suggest holding off on buying them until and unless you plan on doing this as a more frequent hobby.

Re-purposed items [everyday items you'll need]:
    A razor cutting tool of any kind or model, a cutting board, a sheet of plastic [garbage bags] and something hard and smooth to burnish edges. I use polished wooden tool handles, smooth deer antler/tines, sharpie markers.....anything you can rub briskly on the edge to polish the fibers down. Heat gun to soften the beeswax, to be rubbed into the leather and heat infused to make it waterproof. You could also put it in the oven for a short time IF that oven has a very low setting of about 100*F. Make the created holster warm, rub the wax onto it and put it back in the oven to have the wax absorbed into the pores of the leather. There are tons of YT videos to see how that's done.

On home-tanning furs. I don't know if you were aware but you can brain tan those furs [in the field I might add] by crushing the animal's brain into hot water and rubbing that slurry into the flesh side of the hide. This makes it very stiff and to make the pelt soft again you have to "break down the fibers" but you don't need special chemicals to do it. A lot of people don't like this guy but I have no issue with him...his video series are interesting and very informative:

That's one of three videos in his series.

As to the knowledge base of Tandy employees....

I would suggest that is subjective to the store locations because I believe they are individually owned stores, serving the parent company [much like Subway]. My local Tandy is about 2 miles from me and all the employees are a great help so as a general statement, I tend to believe they have to know about the products they're selling. I'd have to hazard a guess at "yes."

Good luck.

When I go to the local leather shop, they have a lot of different scrap piles. The leather I get is the really stiff stuff that is also thick. The stuff they make belts out of. Never checked if it was veg or chrome tanned.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Some years back I attended the black powder shoot at Friendship Indiana, where you can find just about anything. There were vendors there with beautiful leather goods, of course with a dandy price tag. I bought several different styles and kinds of leather. My suggestion is to find a Rendezvous and enjoy a day of looking at all the goodies.

Bill
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The guys Bill is referencing are here. they run the rondy circuit an show up at all the regional events as well as the nationals and at Friendship each year.

http://www.kentuckyleatherandhides.com/

I have been buying from them for 25 years and their quality and stock is excellent.

As noted on the website, they ship. If you do not know what you need, or how much, then call them and ask. Most folks forget that telephones are still an excellent communication device, often better then e-mail for this kind of thing.

If you tell them what you are making they will send you the appropriate leather. They also have a good selection of tools and leather dyes. They have some big needles used by vets to sew up horses and cows that really do a good job on average leather projects.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thanks for the link.