Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumb question on rifled slugs

Tool & Die Maker

Default Dumb question on rifled slugs

I have a 12 gage Winchester Super X2, 3 1/2" I want to use for hunting wild hogs. It has interchangeable chokes. Is there a slug type I can use with my existing barrel or do I need a slug barrel?

Sorry about my ignorance, all my hunting experience has been on ducks and geese.

Thanks,
    Jim

Your Winchester uses a Browning Invector Plus screw in chokes.
    Rifled slug choke listed on this page:
    http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-...ke-Tubes&mf=10

12 ga. item number 40030
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The rifle tube is way down at the bottom so do not give up before you get to it.

I have a rifled choke tube for my Mossberg but I must admit that I get different grouping abilities from the different barrels I have that use such tubes, which includes two Mossberg barrels and one H&R barrel.

My 28" Mossberg barrel does almost as well with the IC tube as it does with the rifled tube.

The other two barrels reduce the group size in half at 50 yards.

There is enough difference in the two that work well for me to have my smoothbore slugger barrel out for threading right now, just so I can use the RS tube as a permanent fixture on that barrel.

If you do not like the idea of the rifled tubes then you can buy an improved cylinder tube or an unchoked tube. The site Hunter referenced sells those too.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-04-2015 at 03:12 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

In all fairness, I have never used a rifled choke tube.......

Had a rifled shotgun barrel for the 870...shot good...but a friend wanted it more that I did....so sold it.

Do shoot a add on rifled bull barrel, on the H&R Handi Rifle, that's a 20 ga......and shoots like a rifle.
    Shoots sabots well, but will shoot the standard slugs even better....

Used it in the days when we had shot gun areas in Wisconsin...now changed.

Kinda wishing I wouldn't have sold the 870 barrel.

Heck, on them hogs use OO buck if its legal !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

In IL it looks like you are restricted to small shot and slugs in the hunting field.

They do not specify an exemption for invasive species so I would think that in IL I would err on the safe side.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...052000050K2.33

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    In IL it looks like you are restricted to small shot and slugs in the hunting field.

They do not specify an exemption for invasive species so I would think that in IL I would err on the safe side.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...052000050K2.33
    Kyrat....I'm thinking this goes back to the hunting hogs in Florida from the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    The results are in: I received the OK to hunt on two private lots. In addition, I just signed the lease from the investment company to hunt on 148 acres. The investment company advised me to form a hunting club. I figured out why. I contacted the insurance company for hunting insurance. Individual policy is $175 per year or $205 per year for the entire hunt club.

I plan to start hunting with shotgun slugs. After we bag a couple of hogs I would like to change over to bows. Never bow hunted before so I'm going to buy a crossbow. I'm thinking of using bows because gun blasts might piss off the neighbors and could scare off the hogs for an unknown period of time.

Never hog hunted before either so appreciate any tips. Last week I bought 2 five gallon bucks of shelled corn for making "wild hog bait" when I get to Florida.

Receiving mixed reports on eating wild hogs. If we roast one I'll probably buy some pork roast at the grocery store and serve the store bought pork to the ladies, "here girls, try some wild hog".

Something tells me this is going to be lots of fun,
    Jim
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ission-to-hunt

I may be wrong....but took the question this way.

Probably correct Hunter.

Where's Batch when you need him? He'll know.

Far as I know you can hunt hog year round with pretty much anything in Florida.

"On private property with landowner permission, wild pigs may be trapped and hunted year round using any legal to own rifle, shotgun, crossbow, bow or pistol. There is no size or bag limit, and you may harvest either sex. Also, no hunting license is required. A gun and light at night permit is not required to take wild hogs with a gun and light on private lands with landowner permission."

Each Wildlife Management Area has its own regulation and they can vary greatly. So, look at the current WMA brochure before planning your trip.

I have a dedicated rifled barrel for my Winchester. That's about the only barrel that goes on that shotgun anymore. Sean and my Dad hunt with interchangeable tubes and with, I believe, IC installed.

I would not hunt hogs with buck shot. My brother Sean shot a hog about 15' a away and the shield was 100 percent effective in deflecting the shot. If he would of had a slug I believe it might have been a different story. If its a big hog you are better just waiting for a quartering away shot and avoid the shield. Because on a big hog that shield could be as thick as 3" thick and will stop pretty much anything coming out of 12 shotgun.

Whoa! Hold on! A rifled choke tube should NOT be used for rifled slugs. For rifled slugs one should use an open choke. Cylinder bore or Improved cylinder is what should be used for rifled and foster slugs. Rifled choke tubes are to be used for sabot slugs.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

They work for any kind of slugs Nate.

I use them with the 7/8 and 1 oz. Lee cast slugs and I have fired Burneke and foster commercial slugs through mine. I don't think I have ever fired a sabot slug through mine. I'm too stingy to buy those things.

The rifled slugs are pure lead and take the rifling as they pass through the grooved choke tube.

The only problem you have when using the rifled choke tube is that the rifling is cut in the opposite direction to the threads on the choke tube/barrel so that the tube will not unscrew while shooting. It causes the tube to get so tight that it takes a strap wrench to get the tube off the barrel.

I do think that in the situation JG is in I would go for the IC tube. It will be cheaper and give more all around use, and the few slugs he will shoot will not make it worth the expense of the rifled tube.

I see what you are saying, Kyrat.

Rifling tears up rifled slugs causing inconsistent hits in my limited experience of doing it. Yep, removing the choke tube after the fact is not a fun experience either, nor is the lead removal from the choke tube. I have learned in life that many times something can be done, but it doesn't mean you should. That applies to this situation as well.

Foster slugs are a much lesser deal out of a rifled choke. Once again, lead removal is a PITA and on more than one occasion I have had the wad cup caught on rifled choke tubes. Once again, just not worth it.

I agree, IC is the best solution here. I also am stingy when it comes to the sabot. Too pricey and no real improvement over the other stuff. Although for fun I did load some .44 bullets as 20 ga slugs. It worked, but kinda pointless.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I see what you are saying, Kyrat.

Rifling tears up rifled slugs causing inconsistent hits in my limited experience of doing it. Yep, removing the choke tube after the fact is not a fun experience either, nor is the lead removal from the choke tube. I have learned in life that many times something can be done, but it doesn't mean you should. That applies to this situation as well.
    Foster slugs are a much lesser deal out of a rifled choke. Once again, lead removal is a PITA and on more than one occasion I have had the wad cup caught on rifled choke tubes. Once again, just not worth it.

I agree, IC is the best solution here. I also am stingy when it comes to the sabot. Too pricey and no real improvement over the other stuff. Although for fun I did load some .44 bullets as 20 ga slugs. It worked, but kinda pointless.
    I have found that to be true as well.....and that statement should be a disclaimer when someone goes off on what CAN be done....

The 20 ga. rifled bull barrel I have for the Handi Rifle will cloverleaf hole at @ 50 yds. ..with foster commercial slug....spread a bit further at 100......but does shoot actually shot better then the sabots.

But it does lead up the rifling ....so don't spend a lot of time shooting them....
    See a deer, shoot deer, clean an put away.

Yep, very few people use their slug shooting shotguns for range toys.

Especially with the price of slugs what it is. That is one reason I bought the Lee slug molds. I also use plastic shot cups around the slug, so that might be why I am not getting the leading in my tube or barrels beyond what would be "normal".

That's correct......those are designed to shoot with plastic cups.

Actually bought a MEC loader with couple of bags of hulls and even more cups....pound of "Clays" powder, and box of primers, for $20 bucks at a yard sale......Just to get the powder and cups.
    But having a problem finding a mold I like for the 20 ga

I pour my own Lee slugs as well, for the 12 ga now....and use the old Lee Loader "Bop a Mole" to load them up.
    So would have to come up with a mold for the 20 ga....(do have a Bop a Mole for the 20 ga.) but seems like a lot of gear for something that replaces the cheapest slugs on the market.

So "IF" I were to use that set up again.....still have to shoot up the 18 or so loose rounds I have left of the "magic slugs" I bought back when.....that outa be good for at least 15 years or so.....

Hunter, if you are casting .600 round balls for that Tule fusil you have they will work very well in the 20 gauge hulls.

I do not have a 20 gauge slug mold and depend on the round balls for solid shot.

One thing we have not sorted out for JG is a sighting system.

Some can get by with just the front bead, but I need some sights on a shotgun shooting slugs or ball.

I have a couple of scoped shotguns but I can get by with most of the fiber optic irons on the market today.

There are some good ones out there and for not much money.

Yes do have a couple of hundred of the .600 (?) or there about, balls...had them given to me so not real sure exactly what they are...and yeah do have wadding and card for shot as well....for both the Tule fusil and the matching flinter horse pistol .62 that my guy just finished for me.
    Just need to shoot them

kyrat,

I don't have any sights on any of my shotguns. I have optics that will work on a 12 gauge and I have thought of putting a red dot on the slug gun.

For Florida woods I would stay with something low profile and rugged. We spend a lot of time with the shotgun in our hands and moving through some thickly vined hammocks. We're already carrying enough crap that can get hung up and nothing is louder than a briar vine pulling across a cabbage palm frond.

I have almost puller the trigger on red dots a few times. But, I shoot pretty good with an bead so far. Still like you said they are reasonable cost effective. so, I will listen to what the group has to say. I can testify that a slug can set a pig down at 75 yards if we do our job and a decent optic probably goes a long way for some to make that happen.

Like I said before, I have scopes on a couple, which is probably needless except that they have illuminated crosshairs for low visibility use and I have found that most of my shots are low light situations, Dawn, dusk or deep woods.

I am very chancy with just the bead. I like to have a rear sight on there too. that's just me though and everyone will have their own plan.

I have the products from Hi-viz and Truglow both and both work equally well.

Sights just depend on what suits you and what works.

I think that Midway probably has the best selection for view on the internet. Good clear pictures that show how the sights attach to the shotgun. Some snap on, some attach with clamps and tiny screws and some use magnets. There are so many different guns with different rib widths and such that the local shops never have exactly what you need, especially for the Winchester. If you order you will get what you need.

Midway will have an IC choke tube cheap too. You can get your sights and tube at the same time.

Tool & Die Maker

A little more on this. This hunting venture is with a friend I made a couple of years ago who is from Canada. He is actually the big game hunter not me. He is reluctant to bring his own guns across the border so I told him I would bring 2 guns to Florida and he can use one of mine for hog hunting. I'm bringing a Remington 870 Express (duck gun) with a borrowed slug barrel on it, good shape there. The Winchester would be the second gun unless I can come up with something else. I'll also have a variety of handguns, .357 being the largest and one of those is a Ruger Blackhawk, good plinker.
    How effective would a .357 be on a hog?