Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plant Identification

Default Plant Identification

Just curious if anyone can Identify any of these plants in my area and if they have any value. I know a few but thought I'd post them anyway.

AGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

BGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

CGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

DGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

EGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

FGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

GGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Wow those pics are huge. I know what A and B are and some of what there use is. The others I have no idea what there called or what to do with them.

#5 looks like Bedstraw it has some medicinal value but I can't remember what.

I considered numbering them but went with letters by #5 do you mean E Not sure how much it will help in identifying but I'm in the Northern panhandle of West Virginia Northeastern U.S.A. I'll name what I think the first 2 are let me know if I'm wrong.
    A mullien which is a medicine
    B garlic mustard its from Europe and is killing off native wild plants but its edible
    D Might be stinging nettle not sure
    G is a moss or algie but I'm not sure if it has a specific name or use
    Last edited by Arborius; 05-04-2008 at 10:56 PM.

E -sorry I didn't see the letters.

No problem
    I ate some of the garlic mustard about 9 hours ago and I'm still alive so even if I identified it wrong its still edible. It wasn't very good though it might be better cooked.

You could always touch D. If it really really hurts then you are probably right.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You could always touch D. If it really really hurts then you are probably right.
    Ive been pulling out a lot of this stuff along with other weeds to put in a garden it doesnt seem to be bothering me but I still thunk its stinging nettle.

what are your methods for id a plant? what books are you using, the garlic plant did you smell it first? just curious you are in a great area not unlike mine
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I use "Edible Wild Plants And Useful Herbs" I also use web sites like "eat the weeds" Yes I smelled the garlic mustard its got a mild garlic smell I spent a few days looking it up on the web before trying it I also posted the pics on another forum I visit and got a few suggestions of what it was.

Don't forget the universal edibility test. You might not always need it but if you're only 99% sure then it's the better route.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

and don't forget that it's not completely reliable and should be used only as a last resort unless you know what the probable toxins or toxin groups might be.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I Itemize as explained on eattheweed.com
    I. Identify type of plant
    T. Is it the proper Time of year for plant to grow or harvest
    E. Is it the right environment for the plant to grow in and is it a healthy environment for the plant. Is it near sewage chemicals car exhaust or was area treated with fertilizer or weed killer.
    M. Means or Manner of preparation. What part of plant is edible and does it need cooked

Once I'm comfortable I eat a small amount and then keep my phone handy in case I screwed up. I haven't screwed up yet. I suggest washing plant before eating also to avoid getting worms.
    Last edited by Arborius; 05-14-2008 at 07:06 AM.

Yes, you have, Arborius. Where do you think this forum is located? Muhahahahahaha.

a. mullein - medicinal, smoke the leaves for bronchial relief. Good toilet paper.
    b&d. both look like garlic mustard to me, definitely not nettle.
    c. don't remember the grass variety, but all grasses are edible
    e. vinca, no use that I know of.
    f. teasel, OK if you need a comb
    g. pond scum? All algeas are edible, some are terrible, some absorb local pollutants.

Thanks grazer. I'm not sure what d is but its not garlic mustard it hasn't flowered yet but it has the hairs like stinging nettle and when I pulled the young shoots my fingers seemed a little numb I might get daring and rub it on my arm.

Only one i know is F as mentioned above. The Teasel comb application is usally for "teasing" wool fibres, its a traditional technique but i don't know much about it. Very handy though as the plant itself is a ready made tool with a practical appplication.

grazer: Be very careful! Not all algaes are edible, red algae is deadly poisonous and i believe some green algaes may be too. At least that is the case in England, perhaps those algaes are no present in North America, but one concern regardless is that if the water is bad then that could affect edible algae. Theres much more suitable edible plants available to risk algae in my opinion.
    "It is sometimes better to miss an opportunity than to invite disaster" - Stilgar, from Dune by Frank Herbert

Good point on the algae. We've experienced some large algae blooms here that have caused many some repiratory problems.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't know what G is. Thank's for putting this up.

Sorry. I'm not into pond scum. Probably good with hot sauce but I'm not touching it. Right in there with sushi, slugs and haggis.