Thread: How many conibear traps?

Default How many conibear traps?

I am looking to add conibear traps to my families BOV supplies in order to stretch our 3 month food suppy. Their will be mostly small to medium size game in our BOL. (rabbits to raccoons) 110s to 160s will probably be my choice. Can someone tell me about how many I would need for 5 people.

Hunter63 saying Hay and Welcome.
    There is a Intro section at http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Are you a trapper?
    How much room do you have in your BOL?

Number would be about 7.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks Hunter63 I have done some small game snaring but, I am not a professional trapper. Have lots of room at our cabin but, would like to stay compact for travel. Like conibears because they are reusable. I assume you are saying 7 per person? Thanks again.

I mean 7 total......

I am not a trapper either...
    Have 16 acres and my main use is getting rid of ground hogs. Have 3, use 2 at a time.

Set 3 see how it goes....Have 3 more in readiness and a spare.....
    Small areas are trapped out quickly.....
    Carry to many,.... just adds weight.

If it were me I would stick to wire snares or build on the spot traps with natural material.

Thanks for your help figuring out the conibear traps. I ran into another prepper who showed me his new trapping kit which actually makes sense to me (not usually a fan of premade kits). It's made for a group my size and has the conibear traps I was asking about, plus other really useful stuff ( cable snares, fishing gear, and cordage). I think its going to be perfect for my family. I found it at ********** if you want to check it out. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Rick; 11-23-2015 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Removed URL

Well, there ya go......I guess if you look hard enough you can find anything....pretty cool.

Little spendy for my tastes, can think of a lot of things I would spend my $500 bucks on, but I not you.

You should be good to go.

BTW...quote for the site and offer you posted.

Disclaimer

Some of these trapping and fishing tools may be illegal in your area. It is important that you follow state and federal laws regarding the use of them. Many of these laws will have exemption in a real survival situation.

Actually I have never seen a disclaimer on any law that say "If you are surviving...This law does not apply.....you can do whatever you want"
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-13-2015 at 03:25 PM.

they're really inexpensive, put aside $100 bucks and buy a bunch

Wow! What luck! You found a website that is about ten miles from you. Wouldn't be yours would it?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I guess I wouldn't use theose type of traps as a "carry along".
    If I had a location, I can see a for cache them.

Snare wire would be my choice to carry.

the cree would carry one steel trap when they traveled. They would set this trap at night after setting up camp. If the sign is read and the trap set accordingly, success could be had, no guarantees though.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Little late but I trap about 3,000 acres on thirteen different farms. I only use foot traps. The most traps I have out at any given time is about 70. Conibears are killer traps, if you catch it it is dead. Foot traps give you an option to turn it loose, dog or cat or something not in season.
    Last edited by madmantrapper; 11-20-2015 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    Example is not the main thing in influencing others it is the ONLY thing.

I'll only use conibears under water
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I love conibears but I have 3, 30 gallon garbage cans full of them. Mostly 110 and 220 size

Asking how many you need is a funny question but if you want to eat and have a decent amount of ground to trap.

I did a post about this same question, maybe it will help you I don't know

Last edited by crashdive123; 11-23-2015 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Removed link to personal blog
    Owner and writer of quietsurvivalist.com

Honestly, carry / stock as many as you can. This can be a long term solution to feeding the family. Give it a try and see how you do. This should give you a general idea of possible success rate and quantity of game obtained and you should be able to determine how many traps you should set at a given time to have enough food for everyone. There are a few trapping websites out there that you can join that can teach you a lot about connies, foot holds and snares but regretfully they do not advertise due to the anti trapping crowds.