Thread: A Vic, A Bic and A Buck: My Go-To Daily Carry

Default A Vic, A Bic and A Buck: My Go-To Daily Carry

I've been carrying these three items on me at minimum the last couple of years. Depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing I might carry more but never less. I might not always carry the same brands and designs but the basic setup remains the same. A large locking folder (usually a Buck 110) a Bic lighter and a Victorinox SAK (usually a huntsman). If I'm going into town this is usually what I carry and I might also carry a stockman or whittler pattern slip joint in the pocket opposite the Vic. If I'm going much farther than the neighboring town I might pocket a cheap fire steel as well. On top of those items that I keep on my person I always carry a medium size fanny pack with extra lighters, a flashlight, pen and paper, pipe, tobacco and smoking accoutrements, matches, a Gerber Legend multitool, fire kit with can opener, jute twine/0000 steel wool and ferro rod, an extra knife, and various other knick-knacks. This stays in the car quite often but I usually carry it slung across my shoulder like a small haversack when I'm going someplace I think I might need a smoke or other items in the pack. When I'm working on a job somewhere I replace the 110 on my belt with a Leatherman Super Tool and pocket a large Bantam to fill the large folder role. I also always carry a Buck 301 in my right pocket at work as I've found the sheep foot blade to be indispensable on the job site.

In the woods, again, depending on what I plan on doing, I usually step up to a fixed blade Buck knife (or sometimes a Russell Green River knife) and a hatchet or light axe. I also like to carry a Case CV knife (trapper or large stockman) in a leather belt sheath hung around my neck when I'm in the woods. I got that idea from watching all those bushcraft guys wearing Moras around their necks and thought it would be a good idea since carrying a carbon steel knife in my pocket usually results in a rusty blade especially in the summer months because I tend to sweat through my clothes. It also keeps the space in my pockets free for other things I might need. My favorite axes/hatchets are my Estwings, an Italian carpenter's axe that I got from Baryonyx Knives and a Vaughn half-hatchet. I also have a Council Tool Hudson Bay axe that was shipped to me with a dangerously loose head. I expect I'll continue using it once I've re-hung the head and put my Estwing camper's axe in the trunk of my car or behind the seat of my truck.

So if any of you all have a similar (or radically different) daily/woods carry feel free to speak up and let us know how and why you carry the items you carry on your person on a given day.

SAM_0462 2.jpg
    Best Regards,
    Stu from Kentucky

The important thing about EDC kits is that you really carry it with you....most everywhere.
    Too big and too much stuff...gets left home....doesn't do you any good.

This gets discussed pretty often and is interesting as to what people consider an everyday carry.

Post #12 has pic's of my belt pouch....SAK pouch, cheapo Mini multi tool W/flashlight, Mini Bic, Mini ferro rod/striker...has cotton balls stuffed in the bottom.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ght=belt+pouch

Add to the EDC pocket:
    SAK (Hunter), SAK money clip w/cash, Gerber Clip Knife, match box w/meds, Bic lighter, and Buckeye.
    Wallet, mini FSK (band aids/ alcohol wipe pac's) and normal cards and ID.
    Phone and CC of the day.

Has served me well for a long time.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Sounds like a pretty good system Hunter. Good point about the portability of your daily carry. I forgot about my little wallet kit. I keep a P38 and some jute twine in one of those little orange sleeves they give you with your hunting/fishing licenses at Wally World. I often wonder how much stuff I can carry around on my person without looking out of place. That's why I leave the fanny pack in the car a lot of the time. It's got too much stuff in it to carry around my waist so I have to sling it around my neck which I feel sometimes looks out of place and draws unwanted attention. I consider my EDC to be modular with the fanny pack being the second layer of my system. I have thought about adding one of those EDC pouches that you can hang off your belt to my system so I can carry more stuff on my person but then you get to the point where all the stuff on your belt pulls your britches down, lol, so you have to wear suspenders. Nothing against wearing suspenders as I wear them pretty often myself but I don't all the time. In the winter months I can get away with carrying way too much stuff in my coat pockets but in the summer it's hard to find room for everything in jeans and a t-shirt. For a firearm (which I neglected to mention in my initial post) I carry a Ruger 9e when I'm out in the woods or working on my property. I don't CC at the moment but I've been considering getting my CDWL in the near future as I've been working more in the neighboring city where it seems there's a murder every other day lately.
    Best Regards,
    Stu from Kentucky

If you have a SAK, you don't need the P-38.....(have one on the key rings anyway...LOL)
    BTW I always have a safety pin in my wallet...tip from my mother...and used it a lot.

I wear suspenders all the time when I'm not wearing Bib's.....
    When I was a service guy...dispatch girl asl me once why I had a belt AND suspenders...

Told her, "I suffer from noassatall,"
    ....or the lesser version nobuttatall....and have 2 cell phones, pager, Mini mag light, and multi tool on your belt.....your pants fall down.
    She says "Too much information"

LOL! I'm afraid I suffer from the opposite condition: Too-much-bootyitis. Still when you've got all that gear on your belt something's got to give. I wear bibs a lot too; especially at work. Good bit of advice about the safety pin. I keep a little straight pin in the area behind the corkscrew on my Huntsman but a safety pin would be a lot handier. My grandmother used to keep a little sewing kit in her purse in a Sucrets tin with safety pins, sewing needles of various sizes and different color thread along with some bobby pins and q-tips. Now that I think about it; she probably had a better, more useful overall EDC system than I do.
    Best Regards,
    Stu from Kentucky

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

"Back in the day" most women did.

Every Mom I knew carried a honking big handbag or shoulder bag with enough stuff to support the family unit for a day or two.

Even Queen Elizabeth is famous for the stuff she totes in her purse.

Not being in the woods constantly I go with the key ring approach since I know the keys will be with me most any time I leave the house.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The key ring does not look exactly the same now. I change some items up as better offerings appear.

One of the things I have come to insist on is good quality from the limited gear I carry.

The whistle has a med compartment in the end that unscrews. Inside I keep 3 nitro pills for the heart, an extra small ferro rod and a cotton ball for tinder.

The money clip is a Gerber with razor blade cutter.

I keep a couple of surprises in the wallet also.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-25-2015 at 04:12 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I do have a sewing needle behind the scales on the SAK...haven't seen it in years.....stuck in there some where.

Come to think of it....the last time I used the "can opener" on the SAK was opening a can of Sauerkraut at a tail gate party for the brats.
    Mostly use the knife blade to open the candy wrappers and chip bags that are made of titanium foil.......and slicing apples.

Back when I was growing up all the men in my family carried very little in their pants pockets; maybe a wallet or money clip, a pocket knife and some hard candy in the winter time for when they were in the dusty tobacco stripping room. It was the women who packed all the gear in their purses and handbags. Even to this day my dad refuses to carry much more than an old cheap Frost cutlery pocket knife I gave to him for his birthday years ago when I was short on cash. He has a whole collection of nice Case, Hen and Rooster and Boker pocket knives packed away in a drawer that he's received as gifts over the years but all he carries is that crappy old Frost whittler. lol That's how I got into carrying a multi tool. He got a Gerber Legend as a gift and never used it. I was over helping him fix the door on his bathroom one day and I saw that Gerber. I asked if he minded me using the screwdriver on it and he said, "You can take it with you if you can fix that door". Been carrying it ever since.

I like the key ring idea. Might have to see about finding something like that. I used to carry an old spark plug gapper on my key ring that doubled as a set of flat head screwdrivers but I stopped carrying it when I got my Swisschamp years ago. The Swisschamp lives in my tackle box these days but I carried that thing for years.
    Last edited by Stulanger; 10-25-2015 at 06:27 PM.
    Best Regards,
    Stu from Kentucky

Ha ha yeah I lost a sewing needle in my old Swisschamp. I used the can opener on my huntsman to open a can of tuna once and it made a spectacular mess. The can opener on my Swisschamp was a lot sharper and cut better for some reason. The huntsman is my "clean" knife. I use it for peeling/slicing apples and whatnot whereas my other knives get put through the ringer. I used the clip blade on my 301 to fish a dead mouse out of a client's gutter the other day. Wouldn't want to eat with that thing. Yuck!
    Best Regards,
    Stu from Kentucky

Rat shooter. What's that gizmo you keep in your wallet?
    Best Regards,
    Stu from Kentucky