Thread: Purinize Water purifying system

Default Purinize Water purifying system

Has anyone tried this water purification system called Purinize it's said to be all natural, better than treating water with Iodine.

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

I checked the website and it says that you have to wait an hour while the water stays in a container without moving, then you can use a filter such as Sawyers or other type of filter or at least a coffee filter because all the bad stuff settles to the bottom of the container; you can drink off the top as long as you don't move the container or you will be chugalugging the impurities that settled to the bottom or if you move the container it will be suspended on the water. You can Google the information in your computer. By the way 2 once bottle treats 60 litters of water and 60 hours of waiting to treat water at a meager $15.95 for 2 ounces, I could buy a Sawyer water filter at Walmart for almost that price and no shipping hand handling. Just my opinion about this product.

A coffee filter will not filter bacteria, protozoa, oocysts, viruses or other disease causing pathogens and they will not settle to the bottom of the container.

Rick, I'm not making this up, check their website, here is a copy from the part of the coffee filter:
    How does PURINIZE work?

PURINIZE works through the process of Coagulation-Flocculation (CF). It contains a natural combination of coagulating and flocculating mineral salts that disinfect and clarifies raw water. CF removes suspended pollutants, in the form of microscopic particles or gross organic matter, by trapping them and clumping them together to form particulates. These entrapped particulates eventually settle and can be easily removed from the purified water by straining through a regular filter, coffee filter, or fine cloth.

And here is their website: http://www.purinize.com/pages/purinize-uses

Why buy this expensive stuff when you can boil water, and use it immediately? If anything I have a water filter that 0.01 microns good for 100,000 gallons of water (that is the Sawyer water filter claim), but that is the filter that I use if I have to without boiling water.

I checked out the web site as well......

Seems to be a lot of glowing comments and hype.
    Had to look hard to find a pic to see what the product looked like.....chemicals and a filter?...I guess?

I'll pass....I'm a filter and boil guy my self.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Interesting product. Unlike most products and filters they claim it works on heavy metals and viruses as well as the more common pathogens and does not have a limited shelf life like chlorine and iodine which taste bad. 60 minutes is not a big deal for me, typically takes about that long or more to find natural fuel start a fire boil water let it cool etc. in a limited sized cook pot or improvise container. But that is unlimited if there is not a burn band and some sticks/biomass.

I might try it just to see how well it works but am skeptical it may taste terrible. Typically in western areas I let water settle out with Aluminum sulfate powder (alum in spice section of grocery store) for between 20-60 minutes before filtering or boiling because it is very turbid (full of silt). Not a problem because I am busy setting up camp, gathering fire/fuel wood, catching fish, visiting with friends etc.

Most of my questions were answered at FAQs:
    http://www.purinize.com/pages/faqs

I use a Sawyer most of the time (pre filter with alum for very silty water) but it does not protect against chemical spills and there are thousands of those all across the country every year, even then the EPA stays the heck out of mine and oil field cleanup.

I checked the website and it says that you have to wait an hour while the water stays in a container without moving, then you can use a filter such as Sawyers or other type of filter or at least a coffee filter because all the bad stuff settles to the bottom of the container; you can drink off the top as long as you don't move the container or you will be chugalugging the impurities that settled to the bottom or if you move the container it will be suspended on the water. You can Google the information in your computer. By the way 2 once bottle treats 60 litters of water and 60 hours of waiting to treat water at a meager $15.95 for 2 ounces, I could buy a Sawyer water filter at Walmart for almost that price and no shipping hand handling. Just my opinion about this product.
    This gentleman beat me to it. The Sawyer Water filter is just a superior water filtering product in my opinion. It lasts longer, is cheaper, works better, and does the job faster.

I see you found one of the discussions.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Mike View Post
    Rick, I'm not making this up, check their website, here is a copy from the part of the coffee filter:
    How does PURINIZE work?

PURINIZE works through the process of Coagulation-Flocculation (CF). It contains a natural combination of coagulating and flocculating mineral salts that disinfect and clarifies raw water. CF removes suspended pollutants, in the form of microscopic particles or gross organic matter, by trapping them and clumping them together to form particulates. These entrapped particulates eventually settle and can be easily removed from the purified water by straining through a regular filter, coffee filter, or fine cloth.

And here is their website: http://www.purinize.com/pages/purinize-uses
    Hmm... http://www.mkmpoolspa.com/clor-mor-s...FQ8yaQodL3EJlQ

Personally, I'd just find a surplus store with a bunch of Chlor-Floc tabs they're looking to get rid of. Can fit a few of them into the pocket on a canteen pouch where you're likely to need them, and they actually kill stuff while they're settling it out.