Thread: Has Anyone Used A Buck Reaper?

Default Has Anyone Used A Buck Reaper?

I'd been looking at a knife for a few weeks and I thought that I would like it. Its the Buck 620 Reaper. I know SMKW carries them and you can pick one up on Amazon for around $50. The ones on Amazon have the 'skull' or 'zombie' pattern scales. I'm not into that stuff so those models didn't interest me. But I found this one at a wall-eye for $40. It has Buck's proprietary "Dymondwood" scales and she is really NICE!!!

I've got to wait a couple of weeks before I can get out to my patch and woods-run for a day or three and test it out.

If anyone has used or own a Reaper, I'd like to hear your take on the blade.

"Keep your skull cap and your powder dry!"
    Last edited by Midwest Preacher; 10-19-2015 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

It appears that the Buck Reaper is a slightly reworked version of the Buck Hood/Punk.

That makes it a spin off of the last knife designed by the late Ron Hood.

No experience with it, but it appears to be a well designed knife if you like the blades that big.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm a fairly big fellow and my hands are pretty large. Some knives that I have used before have such a small handle, or at least feels to me they are small, that they are uncomfortable and I felt I lacked full control with them. The Reaper just feels good in my hand and it's balance is right in front of the scales. Some have complained of the bump/handguard, saying that its uncomfortable, but it doesn't seem to bother me. As I said in my earlier post, it will be a couple of weeks before I can really shake it out. Anyone else that wants to weigh in, please do so. I will write about the experience when its a done deal!

Just googled the knife and scanned a couple of reviews...
    Looks to be a competent chopper for it's size (6 3/4" blade).
    Look forward to your in the field review.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I like this one better. I like the bottom of the blade to be straight and not concave, and I believe it is easier to sharpen a straight blade. I am going to buy a Brahma soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-01...HK40F479CVG05V

Hard to go wrong with any Buck. They have a life time warranty on their knives.

I saw that same model at my local Wally World right next to a 119 Special. I already have a 119, a Vanguard and a 110 for field knives so I don't need it but it did look pretty nice with those rosewood scales. I have fairly large, wide hands as well so any Buck knife that has ample space for my meat hooks catches my attention. Last year I visited the SMKW retail store and handled a bunch of different Buck models and found the handles to be too small on most of the classics like the 105 Pathfinder and 118 personal. The handles on the 119, Vanguard and 110 are just right for my hand. I'm going to Wally World today. I might have to handle a Reaper and see how I like the ergos. I've been using a 119 along with an Estwing camper's axe to help build my fall/winter camp on my property. The 119 is just big enough to skin the smaller branches off the cedar saplings I've been using to thatch the roof on my A-frame but is a little light weight at times. The Reaper's gently recurved blade and slight weight advantage might be a better choice for the uses I've been putting the 119 to. I do have the same concern as Wildthang though about the recurve in the blade making it harder to sharpen. I usually like to put a shallower grind on my blades with my flat oilstone. I might have to settle for using the factory grind on the Reaper and using a Lansky ceramic rod to touch it up in the field. Should be okay as long as I keep a medium to large folder on me for finer tasks. Please let us know what you think once you've had a chance to test 'er out in the woods.

Best Regards,
    Stu from Kentucky

I'm not going to say too much about it until the OP gets back to us but I bought one today and it's as fine as any Buck knife I've ever handled. It was razor sharp out of the box and felt good in my large hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hard to go wrong with any Buck. They have a life time warranty on their knives.
    Rick, the Buck guarantee is called a forever warranty! That's more gooder than lifetime warranties.........LOL

Yup. They honor it too. I sent in a worn out 301 that had cracked scales and a broken clip blade and an old 112 Ranger that had the tip broke off. They sent me a brand new 301 and replaced the blade on the Ranger as well as polishing it up. I was not the original owner of either knife. Only cost me $10.00 plus shipping. Love me some Buck knives.

BTW Wildthang: I polished up the edge on my new Reaper last night with a 3 inch diamond/ceramic stone and it was easier to sharpen than I thought it would be. It's a 6 3/4 inch blade so I had to use a different sharpening method than I would with my Norton stones but that's all I would use in the field anyway so not a big deal.
    Last edited by Stulanger; 10-26-2015 at 07:02 PM.
    Best Regards,
    Stu from Kentucky

As I posted in another thread, I had a 110 and someone borrowed it and lost it. I really think they stole it. It took me 38 years and some kids finally out of the house to be able to replace it last year.
    I have always liked a Buck knife. I think that I've not done any harm by getting the Reaper and I'm kinda antsy to get out and check it out.
    Confession: I did go out back and cut a little wood with it. It worked AWESOME!

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Preacher View Post
    As I posted in another thread, I had a 110 and someone borrowed it and lost it. I really think they stole it. It took me 38 years and some kids finally out of the house to be able to replace it last year.
    I have always liked a Buck knife. I think that I've not done any harm by getting the Reaper and I'm kinda antsy to get out and check it out.
    Confession: I did go out back and cut a little wood with it. It worked AWESOME!

I hate it when my stuff "walks off" like that. I think you'll be happy with the Reaper Preacher. I'm thinking it might replace my 119 as my larger field/utility knife. It's not as thick at the spine as the 119 but it's better balanced and the curve in the blade gives you a better angle for many tasks. I was also impressed with the strength of the tip compared to the 119. The 119 is a great, classic knife but I think that the Reaper might be an improvement for what I generally use a big knife to do.
    Best Regards,
    Stu from Kentucky

I most always take a boy's axe with me so I very seldom if ever baton any wood but I've used a big Hudson Bay pattern Condor to limb small saplings.
    I agree that the slight angle of the blade and it's heft makes it more suitable for a number of tasks in my book.
    Thanks for the input.

I had one, and they would be a very effective all around knife and chopper, if the handle was about 1 1/2" longer. Most knives with a 7" blade, would chop like a 10" blade, if their handles were longer, so you can back up toward the hilt, butt end. Especially for us who have large hands. The blade is designed for chopping, but I had to give mine away because of that short handle

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Wow, you mean to tell me that a 7" blade will work just like a 10" blade if you add 3" to it.

Amazing!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Oh.......we're talking about knives.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Wow, you mean to tell me that a 7" blade will work just like a 10" blade if you add 3" to it.

Amazing!

Buahahahahahahahaha..........( evil laugh )

Most knives do not chop even close to their potential, because their handles are to small. Anyone with experience should knows this. Especially if you have large hands. When you are doing Heavy chopping, you need to be able to slide your hand down towards the hilt. The blade on the Reaper is designed for chopping, but it doesn't have the handle for heavy chopping. The hilt winds up in the middle of your palm. Most people don't understand the advantage of a longer handle, angled down toward the hilt. My new "Carneyedge", has a 6 1/2" blade, and the handle is almost the same length. Choke up for fine work, and back up for heavy chopping. It's not Rocket ScienceGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Carney; 04-06-2016 at 01:28 AM.