Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The most crucial item for survival.

I always thought the most crucial survival item was your brain...looks like I was wrong.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    I always thought the most crucial survival item was your brain...looks like I was wrong.
    It is, especially when assisted by Google, MapQuest, Tapatalk, your contacts list, the entire GPS system and direct access to SRE and the Coast Guard through your smart phone.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Not exactly on track but Different phones actually have different reception quality.

As far as a ferro rod with your smartphone, I can easily mod a Larger and smaller TPU phone case to make a small storage compartment capable of holding tinder, a thin rod or two and a striker, could probably get it sealed airtight too if I really cared, depending on dimension of the phone I could fit more.

If you got say a S4 mini and a TPU case for it and say a S6 TPU case and probably shoe goo or some other flexible plastic binder you could easily make a storage space between the smaller case and large case. After placing your items sandwiched in between you could seal the edges clamp and let dry.

There is also the Mold method where you just make a mold of your case then place your items and pour in some kind of flexible resin.

Both would be a one time use sort of "Break in case of emergency." However if done correctly the personalized phone case would be able to show off your mini survival kit.

Anyone who thinks they can get reception everywhere is uninformed. I have 50/50 chance of reception anywhere 5 miles from the house. Some areas there is no internet, talking , texting....nothing. Just depends on if you are near a city or in the rural areas.

You don't need service whatsever for a cell phone ( Pocket computer) to be useful. Just as a resource for books and info its tremendous how much my phone can carry, I have many books and pictures of plants etc on my phone.

Also you can easily share this information with anyone who has NFC capabilities on their phone as well.

Then there is note function and other things like calculator and clock etc. there are also many portable solar charging and backup battery options that are not prohibitively expensive. My laptop and phone are actually EDC for me due to work, so I would even just charge my phone off my laptop if need be since my phone has more useful survival material than my laptop.

edit: you can also call and txt over wifi if for some reaosn you had internet but no Cell. (inside a bunker for example)

Well I think cell phones would be against the tin foil hat bug out philosophy simply because your location and movements can be traced if you are carrying a cell phone!
    So me, being of sound tin foil hat mentality, would keep my phone off, and would only use it in a have to case and no other time!

You do realize that cell phones can be tracked even when turned off don't you?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ve have vays of tracking your cell phone...even if it is off. Verstehen?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Well, look at that...great minds and all. I was typing when you posted.

Take the freaking battery out....Sheeesh
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Remove battery, remove sim, no tracking... but in a emergency being tracked is a good thing... Unless you are in a hunted type situation.

Just something to keep in mind....while the interests and discussions on this forum vary widely, the main thought is wilderness survival, not how to avoid surveillance and tracking from some government entity. While the topic is certainly not off limits since it sounds like we have a few members concerned about being tracked it is also important to keep in mind that if you have any sort of online presence (oh, like a forum membership) nothing you say is private, nor is data that can be gleaned from that online presence.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Ve have vays of tracking your cell phone...even if it is off. Verstehen?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Well, look at that...great minds and all. I was typing when you posted.

Ja, ich verstehe!

Wow! That would be a great "Bug Out Vehicle," huh? Go anywhere and still keep up with the opposition.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

Survival Phone - Samsung Galaxy 3

Survival Phone Carrier ?
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian-guerilla View Post
    Survival Phone - Samsung Galaxy 3

Survival Phone Carrier ?

There isn't a good answer for that... I suggest Ham Radio and get a license.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

There is no real carrier that will have long term cell solutions if say power is lost, some carriers do have power backups on their towers but thats hit and miss at best. You could look into sat phones but I have no clue about pricing etc.

Back on track. a cell phone with use rationing or with a minimal charging solution / batterry backup can be an invaluable wilderness tool. Your average smartphone from the last 3 years is a pretty powerful portable and durable PC. Making calls aside. Also If you do have some kind of cell signal that opens your phone up to a much wider range of uses. There are many "Wild" areas with decent cell coverage, mostly because even LEO/Gov agents utilize cell phones for various tasks.

It is a bit disingenuous to simply discredit "That high techy new fangled" thing, but rely on some pretty high tech tools from blades & guns, to high tech Clothing, HAM radios were high tech once, cell phones have been around since the 80's and smartphones since 2000. It is simple stubbornness to say Cell phone usefulness is 0 but then turn around and say carrying a pamphlet on basic survival or wild edibles or any info is a good idea.

Two is 1 one is none. I personally work on making my tools as multipurpose as possible and my cell phone is probably one of the most multipurpose items on my EDC list. So please think outside the Box, is people didn't embrace tech then we would still be running through the high grass fleeing lions and eating what ever we could manage ( and it would be RAW).

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlastink View Post
    It is a bit disingenuous to simply discredit "That high techy new fangled" thing, but rely on some pretty high tech tools from blades & guns, to high tech Clothing, HAM radios were high tech once, cell phones have been around since the 80's and smartphones since 2000. It is simple stubbornness to say Cell phone usefulness is 0 but then turn around and say carrying a pamphlet on basic survival or wild edibles or any info is a good idea.

Two is 1 one is none. I personally work on making my tools as multipurpose as possible and my cell phone is probably one of the most multipurpose items on my EDC list. So please think outside the Box, is people didn't embrace tech then we would still be running through the high grass fleeing lions and eating what ever we could manage ( and it would be RAW).
    I guess I missed the "It is a bit disingenuous to simply discredit "That high techy new fangled thing"...brought up as being a bad thing?...as part of this discussion?
    If it was, wasn't intended.

I just didn't see a lot of tech gear and fancy packs....on the millions of displaced people ...at least those shown on the TV....but we all know that doesn't tell the whole story.

So I guess the perception of those sitting in an office, or on the couch, plotting and planning the Zombie or government take over, are different to those who's homes are in rubble and are running for their life.

If anything, the use of technology has far and away won out over carrying weapons and gear....at in this case.
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-05-2015 at 11:24 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

serious - cell phones do not work when you really want them to do in the woods...leaves are biggest clutter on trees to stop signal. Terrain is the other big hiccup to stop the signal.

Sat phone or have a serious backup, mirrors, Bic, flares, large logs, florescent objects...or flat out ingenuity.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I guess I missed the "It is a bit disingenuous to simply discredit "That high techy new fangled thing"...brought up as being a bad thing?...as part of this discussion?
    If it was, wasn't intended.

I just didn't see a lot of tech gear and fancy packs....on the millions of displaced people ...at least those shown on the TV....but we all know that doesn't tell the whole story.

So I guess the perception of those sitting in an office, or on the couch, plotting and planning the Zombie or government take over, are different to those who's homes are in rubble and are running for their life.

If anything, the use of technology has far and away won out over carrying weapons and gear....at in this case.
    A cell phone is as high tech as you can get, even a crappy 5 yr old one is pretty robust, and it fits into your pocket. Even poor peopl in 3rd world countries have cell phones, for many it is their only connection to the internet as PCs require more robust infrastructure.

I will also reiterate that EVEN WITHOUT a signal a cellphone has many uses. @Wise even if my cell phone had 0 signal I could figure out a number of things to do with it. Seriously Cellphones are up there on the list with duct tape in terms of versatility.

SHTF gov collapse, Zombie Apoc, Refugee bug out, natural disaters, all scenarios are applicable, Even EMP if you bother to keep a farraday cage, I don't but I have been tempted.

I'm still using a flip phone but everyone I know has a smartphone of some kind. I think I am going to trade up. Service is pretty sketchy up here in the far north, but the sheer amount of information it can store makes a pretty good argument for me. Cheers