Thread: Skunks.......

Default Skunks.......

Came back from running some errands yesterday.....found dead skunk in the road, in front of the house (city).....they do hang out around here.

Wasn't busted up too bad, yet.

Didn't stink...yet...but was wondering what was gonna happen....Didn't really want to mess with it....figured it would keep getting run over until it turned in to a "sail cat"....All dried out, you can pick it up a "sail it"...like a Frisbee.

Hour later a city truck...2 city workers......showed up...scooped up "Pepe" ....and were gone.
    Didn't know they did that.....

Had one around the cabin, thankfully the dogs didn't get into it, this time.
    But did see something that struck me funny at the car wash in the small town near our "Place"

Sign at the drive thru carwash had a "Pet wash and de-skunking station".....wanted to take a pic....but didn't have the camera.
    Question...Who is gonna pick up a "skunked dog" and haul it to the pet wash?
    Think about that.

Anyway found the sign on the interwebs.....
    http://www.scappoosecarwash.com/4.html

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Goes to show you...if there is a need, some one will build it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Because your area in Wisconsin is on the Kickapoo River and because you know about Kickapoo Joy Juice does this mean that the Skunk Works described in Li'l Abner is located nearby? I suppose my knowledge of the comic strip indicates my age.

skunk is a horrible smell. I suppose if my dog got it I would want to de-skunk her as well. Getting her to the wash would be interesting though..... Never really gave this that much thought. Now I will have another trivial thing to ponder!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

It has been my experience, although somewhat limited to be sure, that any endeavor that requires the use of a dog to route out a skunk is best done using the neighbor's dog. Some coaxing may be required...from a distance of course.

Banned

Good deal when the city picks them up for you. I have had them remove some possums from live "have-a-heart" traps. But not cought any skunks yet or those dang alley cats which I really wanted to.

Once I was car camping at Spencer Canoes by San Marcos River and heard some raccoons over near my SUV. So I leaned out of my hammock at about 3 am and threw a few rocks at them until I saw a skunk under my vehicle and immediately stopped! Respect the skunk or the drive home will be unbearable.

Over the years, some of our dogs have been skunked.....and actually felt sorry for them, sleeping in the garage over night.
    Used a formula similar to this:
    1 quart of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide (available at any pharmacy)
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap

Wearing rubber gloves, wash your dog with this solution immediately after she's been sprayed. DO NOT get the solution in her eyes. (If you don't have peroxide, baking soda, and liquid soap on hand, use vinegar diluted with water.)

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...nking_dog.html

This stuff is generally around the house, where the legendary tomato juice, (at least in bulk) isn't.
    My experience is tomato juice makes a mess, and really doesn't work too well anyway.

Had a little yellow dog (mix) that was either fearless and brave or kinda dumb...as she didn't learn, I guess?...got it several times....DW said, Maybe she just likes the smell.......She liked rolling in dead things as well.

First time was in a industrial park that had just opened, ....just out side the city....so every one used it as a dog park, 4-wheeler/dirt bike, trap shooting area
    Had been out running them and hiking, time to go home.
    Called the dogs, and they (3) came running, Hooker (her name) the little tallow dog was last and hit the open back door of the van....and the smell hit me....as she ran around trying to wipe off the smell on the seats and upholstery.
    The van was never the same.....It was my old beater van anyway....but still isn't pleasant.

As far as messing with them....not a good thing to do.
    Friend had a travel trailer parked, at his land in the woods.

Something got in, he didn't know what it was...but didn't have that tell tale faint smell the seems to follow the skunk's around (doh).

Any way... decided to shoot what ever it was....and borrowed a Walther PPK .380.....His choice.
    Opened the door, caught a glimpse of a furry butt headed for a open sink cabinet in the flashlight beam...and fired.
    Was a raccoon, shot a hole through the water heater, and hit the tire holding up that side....so trailer kind leaned over.
    He missed the coon.....

Was telling the story at work......everyone was laughing at him as in "What the heck were you thinking?"
    Said:....I'll never do that again"

Now if it was a skunk...and he HAD hit it...and skunked up that old trailer (the $300 buck trailer)...the best way would have been to just burn it down.
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-16-2015 at 11:04 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've heard tomato juice works for getting the skunk smell out of a dog that's been sprayed.
    But the best way is to have someone else do it.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Tomato juice doesn't work. Btdt. Peroxide, dish soap and baking soda. Took three washings but worked. When she got wet you could smell it a bit again but not bad. Hunter has it above.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk