Thread: Who is a Buck 110 fan?

Default Who is a Buck 110 fan?

The Buck 110 is my all time favorite folder. It has been copied more than any other knife, and in my opinion, is the best folder ever made! If you were to choose a folder for your only knife, this would be the one that does it all.
    My father and all of my uncles carried them when they hunted and it seemed to always do the job for them. I still have my dads 110 and it is my most valued knife.
    These knives never come apart, they hold a great edge, and are of simple design. You can carry them in your pocket but they are a big knife and most people choose to carry them in the sheath that always comes with the knife.
    I think it is one of the most beautiful knives ever made but maybe I am just prejudice.......LOL This is not my collection but some I found on the internet. I really wish I had all of the knives in the below pictures!!!! So are there any other 110 fans here at WSF?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

More about the 110!

The 110 was born in 1963, after two years of tinkering by C.J. Buck (who now runs the company), his father, Al, and an 85-year-old toolmaker named Guy Hoosier. It took two years because the 110 had to be perfect. The goal was to make a folding knife that performed as well as a fixed-blade knife, something that hadn’t yet been done. Oh, and on top of that, the knife had to be so popular it would save Buck from financial ruin and pull it out of the deeply red hole it was in.

Well, the 110 did its job and then some — to the tune of 18 million sold and counting.

Use one and you’ll understand the enduring popularity. The spring effort to open it is light and easy. A lot of folding knives don’t hold firmly open; put pressure on the back of the blade and the lock gives a hair. The 110 locks firmly enough to skin a deer, a task this knife was specifically created to do. Also, the nearly half-pound (7.2 ounce) 110 is weighty for a reason, since a lighter knife is actually more difficult to manipulate deftly. Even the crescent curve of the wood handle mates to the round hollow of your palm.

C.J. Buck said the knife has been altered slightly over the years. The brass handle had been sand cast, then machined from bar stock, but both processes were imperfect. Today the handles are made from brass powder and then formed, which prevents pitting. And the handle shape is slimmer and more hand friendly. But the original 110 was pretty bomber already. Buck passed along dozens of notes from happy customers who’ve had their knives refurbished by the company (there’s a “forever” guarantee that covers either restoration or replacement), including one from a Vietnam vet who’s had his 110 since 1968 and still swears by it.

I have a 110 from around 1982 to 1986 but I wish I had the original sheath but I did find an actual Buck black leather sheath but it's much newer than my 110.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm a fan I love the classics
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

A fan and user since 1973. My Buck 110 has never failed me and still seems just as "tough" and functional as when I bought it. Sharp as a razor.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Yeah you know we are always posting and getting posts on the best survival knife, all the different brands, and expensive custom knives, and nobody ever recommends the old classic that never lets you down! And a plain Jane 110 can be had for an average of $40! A hatchet and a 110 will do almost anything you could ever do with a fixed blade and it is far more compact! The 110 comes out of the box razor sharp, and keeps it's edge as good as any knife you will find!
    I watched dad and one of my uncles butcher a hog using their 110's, and when I told them they needed a bigger knife they laughed at me and said, "we don't need bigger knives, we need a smaller hog "

I have a few of the 110's and copies from Schrade, Coleman and others.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My go-to hunting knife is a ultra light version of the 110....not sure what the number is (Buck 112 EcoLite)....in the hunting coat in the garage.

The Fancy Ducks Unlimited raffle prize 110 is in the winter coat.

I like them.
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-13-2015 at 08:30 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Lately I've been carrying my Buck 112, which I bought when I was 17. I prefer something a bit thinner in the pocket, but it's the most reliable knife I've owned.

I'm on the 110 Hunter list, too. I've had two over the years; the only reason for two is, apparently, the moving crew liked them too.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

I like a Buck 110 as much as the next guy. Well maybe well enough to collect more than a couple of them. IMHO, while a very good knife, there are just better choices these days for a folder. A couple of months ago, I discovered that Buck had a custom shop, and picked up a Buck 110 with black G10, and a S30V blade. This is a very nice looking knive, and quite functional. I have been carrying it fairly often.

Had one when I was younger and carried it occasionally. Was and is a great locking large frame locking folder.
    I lost it a long time ago and never replaced it...
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I had one when I got married. My boss asked me if he could use the knife and like the big 19 to dummy I was I let him use it. He laid it down and it was stolen. (I think he secretly kept it).
    38 years later I finally saved enough to replace it and I'm in love with it!
    I learned a lesson that day....Never let ANYONE borrow your knife, blade, axe or woman! LOLOL!

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

In that order?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    In that order?
    In that order! LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

I actually have my wife picking me up a new one at wal-mart...then I'm going to take it apart as soon as she gets home, I have a project planned for it and do not want to destroy the one I've had for so long.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/