Thread: Please Share Your Favorite Squirrel Recipes

Default Please Share Your Favorite Squirrel Recipes

I have a couple of squirrels I have caught with my hand made snap traps. Does anyone have some killer squirrel recipes that you have tried and love?

Banned

Some friends of mine who watch that Duck Dynasty show tell me that Miss Kay's recipe from her cook book is a good one but I just use my quick chicken and rice recipe but substitute squirrel or rabbit when I am lucky enough to get one or more and throw that in the Dutch oven or Titanium pot if I am traveling light.

1. Braze meat in pan or pot to brown it after seasoning it with salt, black pepper and whatever spicy (I like garlic and hot peppers etc.)

2. Add Uncle Ben's quick rice (90 second in microwave but longer in pot over coals) or minute dry rice if packing very light. I also substitute quinoa and several other starches occasionally but most of them take longer.

3. Can of Rotel Sauce (or sun dried tomatoes and peppers if backpacking light).

4. Small can or vacuum sealed package of chicken broth (dried soup mix if backpacking).

5. Enough water to not let it dry out as it boils for about 10-20 minutes.

6. Can add wild onions, garlic and many other things you foraged and know for certain are safe to eat as well.

I am not exact on amounts and never make anything exactly the same way twice. Cooking is not a science experiment for me it is fun, not a day at work, the lab.

If you are using a dry soup mix, it can be used to season the squirrel or whatever raw meat before you braise/brown it in the bottom of your pot or partially roast it over the fire on a stick. I always stew this type of small game for a minimum of 5 minutes rolling boil to kill any parasites and pathogens. Over 40 years of eating wild game and I have never been sick from it. I have eaten many different species of rodents in all seasons of the year from tropical South America to Canada. I have been sick from eating raw vegetation and water that was not properly purified however, the pathogens are very different!

I also have a large pressure cooker for really tough meats but squirrels are not and can easily be cut into small pieces that cook fast and can easily be chewed.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 10-13-2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo

Default Pink Squirrel

1 oz creme de noyaux
    1 tbsp white creme de cacao
    1 tbsp light cream

Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into a chilled cocktail glass, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    1 oz creme de noyaux
    1 tbsp white creme de cacao
    1 tbsp light cream

Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into a chilled cocktail glass, and serve.

Bravo......I like that.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

fresh skinned squirrel, fresh like still in the woods. Cooked on a squirrel cooker over some hardwood coals. Maybe rub a bit of seasoning into the squirrel before cooking.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I like "buffalo" squirrel. Par boil hind legs on the bone for 10 minutes, remove from water and place in Dutch oven covered in buffalo wing sauce and simmer on coals for 15 minutes or bake in conventional oven.

Clean your squirrel, cut into chicken wing size pieces, dip in egg then dredge in masa harina seasoned with garlic, onion powder, black pepper, and a little cayenne, dip in egg again then dredge in cracker crumbs. Fry in butter, oil, or deer fat on cast iron skillet or dutch oven over your cook fire. Have also used crushed up nacho cheese Doritos in place of masa and crackers on a fishing trip in Arkansas, and fried up in bourbon. You'd be surprised how good it was. Or maybe it was just the hunger. Fish were scarce on that trip.
    Last edited by TheWaywardOne; 11-14-2015 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Spelling issues.
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold