Thread: Bushcraft Knife?

Default Bushcraft Knife?

So if you could have a knife made from any steel what would you choose?
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

probably CPM S30V for general use.

Sandvik 14C28N for skinning and anything else that benefits from a razor edge.

1095. Yes I know it will rust very easily. But man I can get an edge on it better than almost anything else. And the two knives that I have that are 1095 hold their edge very well.

D2..............
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I spent a hour or so Googling Bushcraft knives the other night, read several articles, several top 10,20, etc rated Bushcraft knives, it seams like 5 or so kept showing up in about all the articles, funny enough the steel they were made of were all quite different.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

The naming of a knife (bushcraft, tactical, edc, etc.) is nothing more than marketing IMO.

In some cases very successful marketing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I agree we started discussing this in a different post, I understand certain design features lend to Bushcraft but those are not really much different than what makes a good hunting knife, In my opinion.

D2 is also my favorite steel I love the blend of toughness and wear resistance while still being a pleasure to re-sharpen. I love s35vn and some of the others but so far D2 is my favorite, I may find something I like better. I like s35vn and s90 etc but I hate to hand sharpen.

Some steel choices that have worked well for me, in doing 'bushcraft' tasks, are, in no necessary order of superiority:
    A2
    O1
    L6
    CM 154
    S30V
    S3
    RWL 34
    Elmax
    INFI
    15N20/1084/1095 Damascus
    440C
    ATS 34
    Hitachi Blue

Virtually any steel will do the job. Only a few folks out there can tell you what steel you are using at any given time.

I've been liking high carbon since it is easy to sharpen and will spark with a hard rock. Will 3v spark on rocks? Id li e to try that steel out.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

There are so many meanings about this, in the end it's simple, you need a sharp edge...thats all...

Really like the A-2 carbon my Skookum is made of, but 1095 in a flat grind will do the deed quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    1095. Yes I know it will rust very easily. But man I can get an edge on it better than almost anything else. And the two knives that I have that are 1095 hold their edge very well.
    I second the motion. Doesn't rust "easily" though unless you totally neglect it, a good rubbing of mineral oil goes a long way. But let it develop a good natural patina or put a patina on it yourself first.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Hmm... Maybe 1095, O-1 or S30V. The s30v has been performing amazingly on my benchmade and haven't had to sharpen it once in the seven months I've had it.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson