Thread: Campfire Stories

Default Campfire Stories

Im new so I thought I could try getting to know a few of you a little better. I was thinking that you guys must have some great camp stories. So I thought maybe I could get you all to share one with me. I'll share one to start off with.

I know it wont be as funny to some of you as it was to us but here goes.
    Its April probably around 60 degrees. We have spent a hard day trout fishing and having a few beers. There is ten of us back at camp getting ready for dinner. One guy is cooking up some buffalo wings on the Coleman stove and throwing them in the Coleman box oven to keep them warm. One of us was frying potatoes on another Coleman stove. Still another guy is cooking up some steaks on a grill right over the fire. A couple guys are cleaning some of the freshly caught trout and putting butter and wild leaks inside of them with salt and pepper. Rolling them up in tinfoil and tossing them right into the fire.

Right around this time a guy and a girl from the next camp came over to say hello. However the first words out of the girls mouth was "What the hell? These guys are over here eating like kings and your feeding me dog food?"(She swore 2 times in that statement but I never read the forum rules so I left it out.) We laughed our butts of. Although none of us ever asked we all always assumed the were eating Dinte Moore stew.

As I had said not as funny to people that weren't there but trust me it was funny to us.

Banned

I was once car camping with an outdoor club of canoe/kayakers. The lawyer I carpooled with was a nice guy but about all he brought to eat where about 10 cans of the same type of soup. Cuts down on decision making but gets boring.
    I get stuck in a rut of making chicken and rice, but have dozens of ways to do it. Sometimes chicken is cottontail, squirrel, or something more exotic, and rice is sweet potatoes or something I found growing wild... many misc herbs, Rotel sauce, or dried something tasty...

When my kids were young it was a quick trip to the local Sonic because my form of cooking from "raw" ingredients especially fish freaked them out (they didn't like that I cut them open to show them the heart still beating). THAT was a mistake. Then I learn I could make bagel bite pizzas in a Dutch oven.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 10-08-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Scaring my kids

Oh yeah pizza rolls cook good in tinfoil

Some of the best meals were "swiped" from Mom's stash.....Campbell's soup, hot dogs, full jars of homemade pickles....

But take note....when you swipe that treasured can of cherry pie filling........Open it first before throwing in the fire to warm up.
    The explosion of slick, sticky, red stuff with clumps, look a lot like blood and brains in the dark....shimmering in the fire light.

Just saying......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27