Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sarge

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

My thoughts and prayers go out for Sarge and his family.
    Geezer Squad #2

Blog Entries

Today's update from Sarge's son. 😢

"Dad might not make it through the next two days or he might make it to next month. At this point, he doesn't have long, barring a miracle. I did talk to him some today on the phone, and I told him about the love and support from all of his friends. He's having a hard time focusing, but he did like hearing that.

Some phone calls you're not prepared to have. You're not trained in what to say because there's no training fo this kind of thing. How do you tell someone in his condition to stay strong? To hang in there? What words can possibly comfort? I mean, there's the kind words that mean the most, like, I love you and I am proud of you. But when it comes to encouragement, there comes a time where it seems hollow.

Life changes on a dime. Never forget that. He has a rare form of cancer that hit him quick. And since the powers that be won't let us have the cure for cancer, you never know when something like this is going to hit you. I hope folks take the best care of themselves as possible, I don't care if you hate me, I don't wish this on anyone. But my words to you which are similar to the words I have shared with my dad so many times, you never know when your time is going to come. You never know what will be left unfinished. It's important to make the peace you need to make while you can make it, it's important to do the work you need to do now, while you can. It's important to understand those you love so you can bond.

Because for many, they don't learn very important lessons until their death-bed. Some never do, like with my late grandfather. Don't put off working things out with family. Don't allow pride or stubbornness to cripple your relationships. Yes, it takes two, but if you want reconciliation, you have to fight for it.

Make a plan to finish what is most dear in your life to be finished. Reach out to those you can, if you can. Make peace if it is at all possible. Love when it seems the hardest. Show mercy even when you don't think you can. Because you will be thankful in the end. Tomorrow is coming, and it's not promised to you.

On a good note, I gave him some comfort. On a good note, some unfinished business was handled in a very few words. My dad won't die filled with regrets because it took two. And together we made that happen.

True comfort isn't a Hal-mark card in the most dire of times, it's the love we give. Even if it comes a little late, it still matters, it is still a blessing beyond measure. Never sell it short.

Another good note, the stinking internet is back on. It was out for a little while. Again. But it's back for now.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Thanks to you both for the update.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Thanks, Ken. I appreciate the update.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Thank you for the update.

Thank you for the update.
    When it came time for my mom, also cancer and also quick, the only thing I could think to say to her was,
    "It's ok to go. You did good. We'll be ok."
    Sarge is in my thoughts and prayers.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My friend, your presence on the forum will last forever, firm in your beliefs and strong in conviction. If your time on this earth is coming to its end, take heart your sole and spirit will continue on to a whole new frontier, one with new and exciting challenges. And when it's my time to join you be sure to have a pot of coffee on the campfire and a good story to tell. My prayers go out to you and the family, you'll not be forgotten. God bless you.

Phil V
    Semper Fi
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

I have been out of town and away from the forum for 2 weeks. I am so very very sorry and while you are each in our family prayers every night and morning (as "the people we promised to pray for" as I added you all to that list when I joined here), Sarge will be getting some very special prayers.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

It's so true- any day could be our last. I sure hope Sarge recovers but I hope that in any event he has peace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pgvoutdoors View Post
    My friend, your presence on the forum will last forever, firm in your beliefs and strong in conviction. If your time on this earth is coming to its end, take heart your sole and spirit will continue on to a whole new frontier, one with new and exciting challenges. And when it's my time to join you be sure to have a pot of coffee on the campfire and a good story to tell. My prayers go out to you and the family, you'll not be forgotten. God bless you.

Phil V
    Semper Fi
    Phil, that was a great post, my friend.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I can't say what hasn't been said here before me. I offer my prayers to you and yours.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Can't pretend to add much to what has been said......except..... "Good journey, my friend" you can rest.... when it's time."
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Am not very good at expressing myself in these situations so....you are In our thoughts and prayers sarge and your family is as well
    D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Update from Sarge's son....

"Dad probably won't make it through the next 24 hours. The cancer is too progressive, and it's a rare form of cancer at that."

😔
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

So sad to hear this. Thanks for the update Ken.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My heart aches for Sarge and his family. Someone mentioned a clinic in Mexico, this was mentioned to my mom when she learned about her cancer , by the lady who was her caseworker for medicaid, her own nothing went there when she was diagnosed. But we did not have the funds. To go to Mexico and medicaid didn't cover the expenses of trying it. My prayers for Sarge and his relatives. We are all his family.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I'm very sorry to hear his condition is deteriorating. My thoughts go out to Sarge and the whole family.

Thanks Ken. This truly saddens me.

I have no words, but God hears my heart.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Sarge we will meet you on the trail someday, then we will set up camp and catch up my friend!

My prayers for Sarge and may his journey to a new frontier be peaceful. Sarge's son is so right tomorrow is not promised to any of us so live each day to the fullest with love in your heart.

Peace and love to Sarge's family.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk