Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry bags in stores, offices and buildings?

Default Carry bags in stores, offices and buildings?

Been seeing more stores and building having posted "No weapons" policy.....

But I guess my question is on those that have big shoulder bags or belt PSK, or EDC bags and pouches....and wonder about rules in various places.
    Some EDC pictured and listed have 72 hours worth of supplies, bolt cutters, handcuff keys and a Glock/plus ammo.
    (makes me wonder if getting stopped by LEO's if I am picked up as a burglar....LOL)
    Lately stadiums have real strict rules even on purses.

Many women carry purses and some are big enough to carry a whole camp inside.....but mostly guys don't.

So how does every one handle this situation?

Doing Google search turned up a lot of "get you bags at Amazon or Walmart....but didn't see to many listed "store policy"
    Biggest discussion I have come across was a bicycle forum where people were discussing where to put their bags while in other stores or shopping.

I don't normally carry that big of a kit on me in town, or during a normal day.....and leave most all that stuff in my vehicles or camp/house etc.....

Any comments? ....ideas?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Clothing with lots of pockets...consolidate gear to a smaller "footprint" with multi-purpose stuff.
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

I agree,
    A I am a "pockets guy"....and have whatever "on me", would be a good chance it will be "with me" when I need it.

multi-pocket vest.
    Last edited by sjj; 12-17-2015 at 06:10 AM.

That's what I love about the 5.11 tactical clothing line. TONs of pockets and they don't "print" what you're carrying. Add one of their undercarry T shirts with built in holster pockets you can easily carry a medium frame or larger handgun ( I carry a Taurus PT/24-7) and it doesn't show and is pretty comfortable as well. Shirts have 4 pockets and the pants which look like standard cargo pants but much better made. They have 8-10 pockets depending on which style you choose. Plenty of room for a pocket emergency kit, knife, lighter and all the stuff I seem to end up carrying daily. My 72 hour kit is usually in my truck.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Fortunately, there is only one No Weapons building around here (aside from federal buildings). At least of those that I go to. Unfortunately, it's the building my doctor is in. If it's posted and I choose to go inside, I don't carry. If it's posted and I have a choice I don't go inside. I won't patronize a retail establishment that infringes on my rights. It's their building and their choice just like it's my choice not to buy from them.

Entering a posted building with a weapon is illegal here. You can lose your carry permit if you're caught. I won't put my permit at risk.

As for the everyday stuff. I carry a shave kit with my essentials in it (meds, external battery, hearing aid batteries, etc). Both vehicles have first aid kits and enough crap to last the next thousand years or so.

In Florida there are a list of places and events that are prohibited. If the establishment does not fall into that group of prohibited places and events, then you can carry regardless of the posting.

Anytime you are asked to leave a property for any reason by someone who has authority from the owner. You should leave immediately without discussion. Because, simple trespass can become armed trespass. Regardless of a license status.

I can say it is not always possible to comply. An example is that any place that treats mental health issues is off limits including the parking lot. Well, almost every hospital falls under this description. You certainly might need to visit a emergency room in a hurry. I will leave it secured in the car. But, technically still a violation. Though even if caught you will not loose your license and it is a misdemeanor.

I guss what I was getting at was more the pouches, bags and kits rather that CCW guns......

A lot of PSK's, and EDC seem to include larger fixed blade knives, fir kits, cordage, supplies and so forth......
    You walk itho Walmart (example) with a large belt pouch, or shoulder bag, or geezer fanny pack......?
    Have anyone been stopped or been asked to leave the bag outside or even checked in?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I guss what I was getting at was more the pouches, bags and kits rather that CCW guns......

A lot of PSK's, and EDC seem to include larger fixed blade knives, fir kits, cordage, supplies and so forth......
    You walk itho Walmart (example) with a large belt pouch, or shoulder bag, or geezer fanny pack......?
    Have anyone been stopped or been asked to leave the bag outside or even checked in?
    My primary (not only) mode of carry for the last several years has been a waist bag. To the experienced shooter - they know what it is and what is probably in it. To the inexperienced I probably look like some old guy that has no fashion sense. Either way - never been stopped or asked about it. I even joke around with a couple of the LEO's at my gym. They know I can get to a weapon faster than they can (locked in patrol car).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

They have a no bag policy at Gillette stadium. Anything larger than a clutch purse has to be in a clear plastic thing.
    Dicks Sporting Goods stores have a "check your weapon at customer service" sign at the door. Not bloody likely. I don't go there.
    I've had stores ask me to check bags that I've carried in from other stores but never for a fanny pack. I wouldn't carry a backpack into any store. Most of the time I wear cargo pants. Lots of pockets. Never been stopped.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

There are only two places that do not allow bags/packs that I encounter. One is Rural King and the other is the bookstore at my college. Both places have this policy do to theft prevention. The one I find to be a pain is the college bookstore. If one is going to college, one is going to have a book bag. Before you can enter the store, you have to walk through 5 buildings and a sky walk to reach the garage and then most likely walk a distance equal to two blocks to reach your car on the opposite side of the garage to secure your book bag and then trek all the way back to the book store to conduct business and then trek all the way back to your car to go home. Usually have to take a nap before heading home due to exhaustion from all the walking!

@LowKey, The Dick's in my area have that check weapons with gun counter sign too, but if you look into the store policy that only pertains to the ones that you bring in for store related things. They just want to make sure it is safe before you get sights changed, a sling added, and no bolt in place on crossbows. The policy has nothing to do with CCW.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Dick's Sporting Goods does not have a sign like that here, but Gander Mountain does. It reads something like....

All firearms that are being brought in for repair of sale must be checked at the counter. This policy DOES NOT apply to legally carried concealed weapons.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I can tell you why Dick's has the policy. A couple of years ago some guy offed himself with a handgun inside a store in PA. He asked for a shotgun and when the clerk handed it to him he pulled the handgun and told the clerk to unlock it. Things sort of unraveled from there. I can understand why they might be a little squeamish but it still grates me the wrong way.

This one specifically says check it at the service counter. If they don't mean it that way, they should re-word it.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

I just looked on the Dick's corporate website and they say that the stores permit whatever is legal for the location of each store individually. The only time this does not apply is to the weapons within the store for store related business in order to prevent mishaps with firearms handling. I'm thinking the sign that you are seeing is just over simplified to prevent confusion and to possibly stop the store manager from getting bombarded by the anti-gun/weapon/hunting groups. I really do feel sorry for store mngt when it comes to stuff like this. They have to deal with so much crap and all they want to do is sell stuff and make money.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

on one hand i can understand the stores issiue in reguards to backpacks. buy on the same note
    when a store has a policy of scanning every costomers purse or wallet as they enter the store
    by way of thier barcoded id's. in my book that is nothing short of electronic pickpocketing.
    screw them and thier store policy. who you are is none of thier damm bussiness as long as your
    a paying costomer and not a thief who the hell cares who you are. if they treat you like that never shop there again
    don't allow yourself to be treated that way. and if you do then your just saying it's ok i don't mind being treated like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    on one hand i can understand the stores issiue in reguards to backpacks. buy on the same note
    when a store has a policy of scanning every costomers purse or wallet as they enter the store
    by way of thier barcoded id's.
    in my book that is nothing short of electronic pickpocketing.
    screw them and thier store policy. who you are is none of thier damm bussiness as long as your
    a paying costomer and not a thief who the hell cares who you are. if they treat you like that never shop there again
    don't allow yourself to be treated that way. and if you do then your just saying it's ok i don't mind being treated like this.
    What store(s) does this take place in?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My bar code ID is on my forehead. I got rid of that whole scanning thingy. Makes life a lot easier.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    They have a no bag policy at Gillette stadium. Anything larger than a clutch purse has to be in a clear plastic thing.
    Dicks Sporting Goods stores have a "check your weapon at customer service" sign at the door. Not bloody likely. I don't go there.
    I've had stores ask me to check bags that I've carried in from other stores but never for a fanny pack. I wouldn't carry a backpack into any store. Most of the time I wear cargo pants. Lots of pockets. Never been stopped.
    Same thing at "Jerry World" Stadium in Arlington, Texas where the Dallas Cowboys play football. Women are allowed to take in a "clutch" sized handbag/purse and others a small bag for medical reasons such as diabetes obviously. Army/Navy Stores have many about that size to select from in many different colors (black is good with belt or MOLLIE straps).

Often people at entrance wave wands for metal detection but walk thru detectors are more comprehensive. I suggested to my father-in-law that he put his tiny SBA knife in his shoe or in a potted plant but he just walked back to the car and put it there about 400 yards later. There are signs everywhere before you even park and it is posted online I think.

Trust the unarmed security guards at colleges and universities they did a great job at Roseburg, OR, less than a dozen died last I heard... or just go to places where you can defend yourself with more than a wooden chopstick. I.e. avoid Europe and Australia.

BTW When I take a rife in to ANY sports store, Cabelas or other they ALWAYS check to see that it is unloaded then put their trigger lock on it BEFORE I can take it back to the gun counter to have a scope mounted or whatever. If customers were walking around a gun show or sports store without trigger locks on their firearms in plain sight I would be concerned. Some folks are unstable and should not have firearms especially those just released from prison for violent offenses and the severly mentally ill.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 10-06-2015 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Walking around store with open firearm?

Those just released from prison shouldn't be wandering around a gun show or sports store with a gun of any kind... And the severely mentally ill, if they've been pink-slipped, they wouldn't have a license either. If not, how can you tell? That is the question of the day.

I'd be less concerned about a gun with no trigger lock at a sports store or gun show than I would be at a movie theatre or other public venue.