Thread: Another Hugh Glass movie coming soon.

Default Another Hugh Glass movie coming soon.

I know many members like the 1971 film "Man in the Wilderness" about Hugh Glass and his incredible story. Leanardo DiCaprio is starring as Glass in an upcoming film called "The Revenant."

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/re...tu-1201604808/
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I always liked that story, shame they couldnt find someone not so "left wing anti everything" to play the lead role. I wont waste a penny on it because of Leo

Glass 'counted coup' on Bridger. Don't know of another (recorded) instance where Bridger crawled. Wonder if his time with Lafitte will be in this movie?

Yeah ! I saw the trailer day after it was published , I'm waiting for it very very much , Hope this will bring an oscar to Leo after so much work))
    Check out my survival youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCup...cRQ3O29ZB7Ybiw

Quote Originally Posted by minitruck83 View Post
    Glass 'counted coup' on Bridger. Don't know of another (recorded) instance where Bridger crawled. Wonder if his time with Lafitte will be in this movie?
    I've read quite a bit from several accounts of the Glass-Bridger encounter and I never got the idea Glass was "counting coup" on Bridger. Glass did not consider Bridger an enemy upon whom one would "count coup:" he considered Bridger a traitor who deserved killin'. Same with John Fitzgerald. Glass tracked down nineteen year old Jim Bridger at Fort Henry, intending to kill him. Seeing the youth, pathetically young, fearful and ashamed, Glass took pity on him, letting him live.

Glass then went looking for John Fitzgerald, who had urged Bridger to abandon Glass. Glass found Fitzgerald finally at Fort Kiowa, but Fitzgerald by that time had become a scout for the U.S. Army. If Glass had killed him, Glass would have been hanged. So Fitzgerald was never punished for abandoning the horribly injured Glass.

That is according to the various accounts I've read.

Haven't the faintest idea how all that will be portrayed in the flick, if any of it. After all, it is Hollywood, you know.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    I've read quite a bit from several accounts of the Glass-Bridger encounter and I never got the idea Glass was "counting coup" on Bridger. Glass did not consider Bridger an enemy upon whom one would "count coup:" he considered Bridger a traitor who deserved killin'. Same with John Fitzgerald. Glass tracked down nineteen year old Jim Bridger at Fort Henry, intending to kill him. Seeing the youth, pathetically young, fearful and ashamed, Glass took pity on him, letting him live.

Glass then went looking for John Fitzgerald, who had urged Bridger to abandon Glass. Glass found Fitzgerald finally at Fort Kiowa, but Fitzgerald by that time had become a scout for the U.S. Army. If Glass had killed him, Glass would have been hanged. So Fitzgerald was never punished for abandoning the horribly injured Glass.

That is according to the various accounts I've read.

Haven't the faintest idea how all that will be portrayed in the flick, if any of it. After all, it is Hollywood, you know.

S.M.
    That's pretty much the way I heard it as well.

History according to Hollywood has a bad habit of trying to add drama and produce to black and white conclusions about facts we will never know.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Leo as Hugh Glass?

I can't hardly wrap my mind around that image. Might as well cast Rob Lowe as Wild Bill Hickok. Guess Hollywood has completely run out of real men to play these parts.

Where's Rooster Cogburn, Big Jake, Trinity, Quigley, the High Plains Drifter?

Reminds me of sitting there in the theatre at the end of Good, Bad&Ugly wondering if Rowdy Yates could really take The Lawman.

There's no one left alive that sat in the Hollywood Studio canteens drinking coffee and taking with a technical advisor named Wyatt Earp as they waited for stage calls, and it sure shows.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Mea culpa guys, I used a little poetic license. I agree that Glass, a man who by all accounts was 'so rough he wore his clothes out from the inside' (stolen from Lamour) probably didn't consider Bridger worthy of being considered an enemy, much less important enough to whack him with a stick. I'm thinking his fame was more as a scout and guide, than for his deeds.
    (I grew up on tales of Eastern woodsmen like Wetzel rather than Rocky Mountain trappers, so I might be wrong here too)

I just watched Revenant. If you want to be bored out of your gourd, go see it. Other than in the mountain man/fur trader days there was a trapper named Hugh Glass, who was nearly mauled to death by a griz, and two men of the trapping company who were supposed to stay with him until he died, and didn't -- Fitzgerald and Bridger -- and Glass, although horribly injured, managed to survive and went looking for Fitzgerald and Bridger in order to kill them for leaving him, Relevant is about as discombobulated as an "historical" flick can be. Nothing else in the movie that's shown from the very first scene, actually happened in the real life travails of the mountain man, Hugh Glass.

If you go see it, make sure you have relieved yourself before going into the theater as it is 2½ hours long. In my opinion it is slow, draggy, and the director easily could have cut out an hour and it wouldn't have made much difference.

As an aside, regarding DeCapprio as Glass, he's a good actor, but there is a scene in which his entire torso is seen and he has absolutely no muscle definition. I think the real Hugh Glass would have had to be made out of rawhide and piano wire to have done what he did. Of course, it is just a movie and actors are actors.

I'd save my money if I were you boys and girls.

Just a suggestion.

Merry Christmas to all.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

It will be on TV before long....something to do on a cold rainy Saturday afternoon.
    Pay for it at the movies....Naw.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27