Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: acquiring guns question

Default acquiring guns question

looking for opinions, if a strange firearms pops up at the house for how many years and how many firearms would a "it use to belong to my father" excuse last? lol
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I am truly surprised you need to ask.....
    I gave up trying that.... years ago.

When I happened to be cleaning the Ruger Blackhawk .44 AND the Ruger Single Six AT the same time....and got..."I didn't know you had 2 of those".....we kinda came to a agreement.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

lol, I've never used that excuse because most time it's the reality but I wondered if that excuse would work. In my home I'm the head of the house, my wife is the neck and she turns me every which way lol. In all seriousness I don't pick up a firearm with household funds, I use scrapmetal, furs etc. so really doesn't matter.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Yeah I hear ya.....
    Was at Apple Fest in Gays Mills, WI today....bigazz flea market, actually had quite a few old guns for sale.

But they were way over priced for what they were....and mostly junk.......Just because it's old, and no one has heard of it, does not give it extra value.

Ammo was stupid prices as well.

Guy had a couple of boxes of .22 WRF box of 50....$35 bucks.....so I asked him if that the ammo that can be fired in a .22 WMR (it can)....and got an earful about only firing ammo in guns with that caliber stamped on then barrel...Which is good advice, I guess.

So I'm thinking that a flea market had a slightly different customer base...one that can be BS'ed a bit.

DW was along....and would ask when the guy was doing a hard sell....
    "Don't you have a couple of those already?"

So it does come in handy....LOL

I was at a LGS the other day, they had .22 WRF for 15 and some odd change a box of fifty. Didn't seem too bad.

We have a household budget. Out of that, I have my money and she has hers. What we do with it is what we do with it, no questions asked. Although if she ever gets brave enough to climb the ladder to the attic.......

I hear you Hunter. There is a flea market near me that also has a gun show within it. Same thing. Everything 20 percent or more over the cost at any old store. Everytime I am there, I browse through it just in case. Last trip through, I did find some 9mm for 12 bucks a box and a tasco red dot scope NIB for 5 dollars. I went home with a couple things that day...... I did come across a springfield .22 that I liked, but overpriced like crazy so I left it. Man, I did like it though!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

My rule with anything I collect is never let them see 2 of the same thing at any one time.
    What I do with my allowance is up to me.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

We have a don't ask policy. She knows she might as well not ask. Cause, I ain't gonna tell.

I get my overtime money and I have to use that for 100% of my outings and gear.

I consider guns as money so it's not your collection that's growing, it's your savings account.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    My rule with anything I collect is never let them see 2 of the same thing at any one time.
    What I do with my allowance is up to me.
    .....and never keep all of your "whatevers" in one place...that way no one knows how many you really have.

When I was with a friend that was buying an airplane from an old guy......
    Said, "Son invest in guns and airplanes...you will never loose money....Never cars or women...because if it has teats or wheels, it is gonna cost ya"

sometimes those costs are worth it

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

How many times can your wife use "Oh this? I've had this forever, it was just in the back of the closet and I kind of forgot about it." when referencing a new outfit?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I don't worry about clothes at all......if it make you happy.....go for it.

My wife can and has used the "oh this" many many times. I'm like well yea but where did ya get the Hope diamond? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I consider guns as money so it's not your collection that's growing, it's your savings account.
    +1...
    Mr. B & I think alike there

Damn funny thread... Police and being married - so confusing... all good...
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Yep, especially since your guns will probably appreciate in value faster than inflation.....as opposed to putting the money in a savings account, where the interest earned on the account doesn't make up for the money lost from inflation.

At least that is what I tell my wife.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I tell her they breed in the safe and I can't watch them all the time. It's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I just tell her that all the guns at the gun store are really mine....I just keep them there...until one needs some TLC and I bring them home....

Banned

Many years ago my wife's friend was concerned about her husband who was depressed about some career issues etc. and had me hold onto his "firearms". She handed me an air rifle and pistol, I was like "These are the weapons he told you about?" "Really?"

She is not an outdoors person... and had no idea. The couple is doing fine today.

He took her fishing ONCE! She spent the time on his expensive bass boat reading Glamor magazines and swatting spiders with her bedazzled flip-flops. No trophy fish that day just the wife...