Thread: First Handline Fishing Attempt

Default First Handline Fishing Attempt

I had a couple of hours to kill today so I thought I'd take a wander and try out the handline setup I have been putting together. I'm still refining it but it worked ok. I'm using #6 codline with a mono leader. I had a few bites right away and snagged this little guy. I also rescued a large caterpillar who was doing the back stroke.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    We're here for a good time, not a long time.Semper Fidelis

Are you using one of those bottle pre-forms?
    Nice fish, BTW!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    Are you using one of those bottle pre-forms?
    Nice fish, BTW!
    Yeah, exactly. I think they called it a tube vault so they could charge me two bucks. I just grabbed that to use temporarily until I figure something better out... but its working so I may not bother changing it. I use a piece of inner tube to hold the line when not in use. I'll take a picture if I remember later. The only thing I want to add so far is a little wrist strap so I don't go chucking my whole fishing kit into the drink if I get a little excited when I am casting.
    We're here for a good time, not a long time.Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Whisper View Post
    Yeah, exactly. I think they called it a tube vault so they could charge me two bucks. I just grabbed that to use temporarily until I figure something better out... but its working so I may not bother changing it. I use a piece of inner tube to hold the line when not in use. I'll take a picture if I remember later. The only thing I want to add so far is a little wrist strap so I don't go chucking my whole fishing kit into the drink if I get a little excited when I am casting.
    I would be interested in seeing that!
    ETA: Not the rig flying off in the water, the wrist strap to prevent it from happening.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

in keywest i used to use a home made cuban yoyo
    basicly fishline wrapped around a beer can.
    used to catch mangrove snapper on my days off.
    fried mangrove snapper cuban blackbeans and rice and beer.

the traditional type of line to use was tapered like a whip. the two sizes were 15 feet and 30 feet. used very much like a fly fishing rod the tapered line un coils completely without tangling. I make my hand lines out of natural material but synthetic options can be far better. the thicknesses are 1/6" inch at the tip to 1/4"inch at the hand hold. the spring action of the tapered line is better than a line of the same thickness from end to end.
    EDIT: this is a video that shows the tapered hand line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BDaJLDTBDI
    Last edited by trapperjack; 10-03-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Awesome video!!! Thanks! Now I am chompin at the bits to make those hooks n lures. And of course, that beautiful tapered line...do you have any plans to make a video how to do that? If so, I would love to see it. My dogbane fiber rope is not half as pretty as what you have there.
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

I have been making them for years. I think dogbane is the nicest looking material, I use yucca because of its strength and the fibers are already tapered