Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the geezer club

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I was having a discussion with a young woman while I was Hospitalized a few weeks ago and being a "Geezer" really hit home, when she not only did not know what a Curmudgeon was, she had never heard the term and doubted it was a real word!! And I can remember all the things Wildthang listed.

When I was a child my GF sang this ditty to me, which my sister and I called the 'Geezer Song"

Oh' there was an old geezer and he had a wooden leg
    He never had tobacco but tobacco he would beg.
    Said the first Old Geezer "Will you give me a chew?
    Said the second Old Geezer:" I'll be hanged if I do!"
    "Save up your money and hoard it like a fox
    And you'll always have tobaccy in your own tobacco box!"
    Last edited by Old Professor; 10-03-2015 at 08:41 PM. Reason: grammer

Mannlicher and I are going on a Greezer roadtrip soon in the SE. The nice things about a geezer roadtrip are...

a. Nobody gets mad when you have to stop and pee AGAIN...ALREADY!
    b. Nobody teases you for eating oatmeal instead of bacon or Spam for breakfast.
    c. You KNOW there will be cracking, farts, and groans as you both bend over helping each other to set up your tents.
    d. You stop splitting firewood after the fire's going. You just chunk another log on. Too long? Throw it on and burn it in half. There... sized just right.
    e. As great as 2 weeks of camping is, when you get home you relish the comfort of you're own throne, shower, and bed... and are not afraid to admit it.

I took one of my grandsons to the range this week. He's 8. We were nearly there when he said, "Are we there yet?" I actually thought of this thread because I was thinking along the same lines. 61....8. About the same.

If you can get 12-13 people sitting around a campfire for 2-3 hours, laughing talking, and comparing note....with not cell phone in sight!........You might have a group or Geezers....

...and if at 8:30, all but 4 decide it's past bed time...and those 4 start cleaning up........For sure you are in a group of Geezers.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Another criterion is that you have to have socks older than me. I know most of you do.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

As far as an official "Geezer Club" goes...Y'all are on your own.

My signature has been for a while now......
    "Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    First 50 years...cared about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much"

Pretty much means you can be #1 as well......or #437,.... only matters to you.
    You worked hard to get here....don't really care what other might think at this point....

So enjoy it.

Actually I get a small amount of satisfaction at places that say theu have a "Senior Discount"....only to find that you have to be a member ot their "CLUB"...AARP or some insurance company...to get the discount.
    I thought getting older was club enough.....so will loudly point out the difference...(What the heck, they already think you are just a crabby old guy)........THEN........

Take out your change purse and make exact change....and ask them to count it to be sure.......(if they can)
    You know how forgetful us older folk are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    As far as an official "Geezer Club" goes...Y'all are on your own.

My signature has been for a while now......
    "Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    First 50 years...cared about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much"

Pretty much means you can be #1 as well......or #437,.... only matters to you.
    You worked hard to get here....don't really care what other might think at this point....

So enjoy it.

Actually I get a small amount of satisfaction at places that say theu have a "Senior Discount"....only to find that you have to be a member ot their "CLUB"...AARP or some insurance company...to get the discount.
    I thought getting older was club enough.....so will loudly point out the difference...(What the heck, they already think you are just a crabby old guy)........THEN........

Take out your change purse and make exact change....and ask them to count it to be sure.......(if they can)
    You know how forgetful us older folk are.
    Oooo now that's got real mileage. Me likey!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The first time a really good looking girl calls you "sir" you qualify. When you look around to see who she's talking to and realize it really is you, you're in.
    ahh IMO the young girl who give's you a senior citizen discount when you clearly don't qualify... Priceless.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    If you can get 12-13 people sitting around a campfire for 2-3 hours, laughing talking, and comparing note....with not cell phone in sight!........You might have a group or Geezers....

...and if at 8:30, all but 4 decide it's past bed time...and those 4 start cleaning up........For sure you are in a group of Geezers.
    I see that every time I fire up Two and a Half Men... on Fox. Oh did you mean reality? My Bad,Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Subject: : Seenagers !

I am a Seenager. (Senior teenager)

I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later.

I don’t have to go to school or work.

I get an allowance (social security).

I have my own pad.

I don’t have a curfew.

I have a driver’s license and my own car.

I have ID that gets me into bars and the Beer Store.

The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant.

And I don’t have acne.

Life is great
    !!

Too funny.

True though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You are a geezer if.......
    you listened to Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Otis Redding when they were still alive
    you drank Pepsi, 7-Up and Coke from cans that did not have pull tabs
    your house had a land line and a rotary phone
    you wrote term papers on a typewriter that used a ribbon and carbon paper
    you delivered newspapers on your bicycle and rode the same bicycle to school
    you used a slide rule for college physics and chemistry classes
    you learned to SCUBA dive when there were no dive computers

any others from other old geezers?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I'm older than Jimi, Janice or Otis!
    I drank Pepsi before they even put it in cans!
    I can remember the debate over whether we needed one of the new fangled private telephone lines instead of our "party line".
    I was a grown man the first time I laid eyes on a computer, and thought it was not worth having.
    bicycle, yep
    slide rule, yep
    scuba gear, yep
    Stay at home Mom, Yep

And I also remember the family getting our FIRST TV ! My dad thought it was just a passing fad and waited until there were three channels available before making the purchase. My mom was all for it since she had been running next door to watch The guiding Light for a year already.

I can even remember my Dad coming home after buying a brand new 1954 Studebaker!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-11-2015 at 04:34 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    I don’t have a curfew.

I don't have one either. Sadly, it makes no difference. I can't stay awake past anything that ends with P.M.

Except that sometimes the license comes with it's own curfew.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

A true geezer is a person who watched Crusader Rabbit (supposed to be the first cartoon made specifically for television) on a TV that had a rabbit ears antenna

A true geezer will have registered for classes, participated in the national census or done something else using perforated IBM cards that you were not allowed to bend, fold, spindle or mutilate - extra points if you can explain how to "spindle" a piece of thin cardboard stock.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 10-12-2015 at 12:35 AM.

I was called a "shotgun programmer" in a card based Fortran and Cobol programming class, in 1969.....but they excepted my credits in 2000 in a Windows based class.....(suggested I take it)...LOL

Shotgun programmers punched the cards up, put them in a deck, dumped into the machine ...."and let the machine sort out your mistakes....."
    syntax error...syntax error.....LOL.
    Thanks for the memories.......NOT

Only a real geezer will remember postage stamps that had to be moistened before they would adhere to the envelope

Only a real geezer will remember first class postage at five cents for the first ounce

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

How about postcards that cost a penny?

or being sent to the corner store with $1 to get bread and a half gallon of milk...

And bringing home 75 cents change?

Box of 50 22lr shells for 20 cents?

pack of 100 BBs for 5 cents?

Well, it is nearly 2pm and I have to get down to Golden Corral for the Early Bird special.

You might be a geezer if you finish supper before 4PM!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-13-2015 at 01:54 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

A geezer wears extra floatation while on the water fearing if he goes overboard his adult diaper will drag him straight to the bottom.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.