Thread: Roasting with the fur still on

Default Roasting with the fur still on

Can small animals like rats or squirrels be roasted over a fire with the fur still on? (Burning it off) Seems like it would make the meat taste horrible, but I heard someone say you could cook it that way. (But maybe eating it that way is another story?)

Saw that once on TV. Tried it. Super gross.

Only if you are 5 day hungry......1,2,3,4 day... gut and skin'em first.........
    Watching TV survival shows?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Isn't it true if it is on TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Horsefeathers View Post
    Isn't it true if it is on TV?
    Yup.......You saw it, gotta be true.......
    Just have your production staff with medics and chopper near by....

I don't have a crew to follow me around, and no one is gonna pay to watch me do it anyway....so don't do stupid stuff like that.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The taste of burnt hair does get into the meat and the smell is atrocious. That is with some remnants of fur after skinning. I could not imagine a whole fur left on!

Like other said, 5-10 day hungry might change that but the rule of thumb....... Nope, not gonna do it!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I threw up a little.

De fur the animal there is loads of fat and that is energy....
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I threw up a little.
    I call that the 2 for 1 special..... Taste it twice but eat it only once!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What if the burnt hair is the "good part"?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    What if the burnt hair is the "good part"?
    Depending on how it is cooked, it might be the only part! Eat and floss at the same time.....

Banned

All burnt fur and hair that I have smelt was foul to me. If you have a knife or sharp edge to get it started and it has been recently killed most of the fur/skin should come off fairly easily, just around the feet, tail and neck may be need a blade a little bit. So I don't see the point of leaving it on. Smell would almost certainly be offensive to most people with a functional sense of smell. Also fur is dirty/gritty and full of bacteria. Deer and others pee on their back legs intentionally...

I was once told that some indigenous people in the Amazon tied sloths to a pole and cooked them live over a fire. But I spent time with them and never saw them do this or heard any credible stories or saw any photos of it. They did do some things that seem cruel to us but never that. I never ate sloth only monkey, it was tough, sloth is probably tender but the moss on the fur was a turn off to me, seemed the animal would be full of parasites. Found them, watched and released.

Edit: Tarsal Glands on a Deer, similar on other animals I don't want that cooking with my food!
    https://www.qdma.com/articles/tarsal...s-what-we-know

A dove I can rip open and remove the breast with my bare hands but a rabbit is more difficult and the risk of tearing open the urine/bladder and other organs like gallbladder is higher which can taint the meat so it is better to use a knife and not be such a Neanderthal. Yellowish Orange fluids are "BAD!" Taste yucky. Knife Good!

More stinky glands to avoid eating...
    http://www.deertrail.us/minnesotawil...entglands.html
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-21-2015 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Tarsal Glands and similar, remove before cooking

TXYAKR - " ... If you have a knife or sharp edge to get it started and it has been recently killed most of the fur/skin should come off fairly easily, just around the feet, tail and neck may be need a blade a little bit. So I don't see the point of leaving it on. ..."
    I agree 100%. Why would one not skin an animal when one has a knife??? Does anyone here go out into the boonies without a knife?

Even when I was in the Army many, many years ago (so long ago my issue weapon was the late, great M1 Garand), I always had my Camillus Stockman in the pocket of my fatigues. When I've traveled to England and the Continent (before "Nine Eleven,") that same knife or my old Camillus four blade knife were in my pocket.

Soooooooo, I'll skin my fur bearing food before I cook it.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Banned

If you don't cut it into smaller pieces to cook faster, field dressing a small animal like squirrel or rabbit can be just as fast or faster than a fish of the same size. Pulling skin can be faster than removing scales. Easier than most catfish to pull skin off.

Not overly yucky drawings from Indiana Hunter's Ed Course:
    https://www.hunter-ed.com/indiana/st...1016_700013310

My photos are much worse...

BTW most cottontail rabbits don't have a lot of fat but many people don't like the taste of their fat so typically it is cut off or just pulled off by hand. If you like it leave it on.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-21-2015 at 05:24 PM. Reason: some small game fat tastes bad

Don't do it. It's a waste of meat, and a damned dumb thing to do.

As they say, "Bile is vile and a little goes a long way."

Was thinking of how to avoid catching tuleremia by skipping the skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    If you don't cut it into smaller pieces to cook faster, field dressing a small animal like squirrel or rabbit can be just as fast or faster than a fish of the same size. Pulling skin can be faster than removing scales. Easier than most catfish to pull skin off.

Not overly yucky drawings from Indiana Hunter's Ed Course:
    https://www.hunter-ed.com/indiana/st...1016_700013310

My photos are much worse...

BTW most cottontail rabbits don't have a lot of fat but many people don't like the taste of their fat so typically it is cut off or just pulled off by hand. If you like it leave it on.
    Wild rabbits are pretty lean. Domestic, home raised bunnies can have a lot of fat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk