Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the best alternative toothpaste you can get in the wild?

I'm still bringing tooth paste.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'm still bringing tooth paste.
    And we appreciate that.

You probably appreciate me bringing deodorant and TP even more.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

IF you have homemade soap without any artificial fragrances, that works great for toothpaste. Just wet your toothbrush and rub it on the bar for a bit.

It sounds yucky, because everyone thinks soap tastes terrible. Actually, it has very little taste at all. It's the artificial fragrances that taste nasty.

I brush my teeth every day with my own handmade soap, and it works great. I follow it up with a diluted hydrogen peroxide rinse.

BTW, regular toothpaste leaves a coating of glycerin on your teeth (it helps make your teeth look shiny). I don't know if it's harmful (search it and there are some that'll say it'll kill you, but you can find that out about just about anything), but it is a sticky substance, and I don't think that's helpful. It is noticeable, though. If I use toothpaste to brush, the peroxide rinse afterwards foams up A LOT, whereas it's almost unnoticeable when I just use my soap.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

speaking of soap, there was a article in TMEN years ago about using soap. It was deemed far superior to toothpaste.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Toothpaste can be dangerous to the environment because it contains a lot of different chemicals. That's why I try not to split it when I'm in the wild. There is a recipe of natural toothpaste also. You need to mix coconut oil with baking soda and add there some essential oils (peppermint or cinnamon). I also have a bamboo toothbrush. If I'll have to throw it away, I can be sure that there will be no plastic pollution because of it.

Mother Earth and the environment are not so delicate that a little processed toothpaste spit into it are going to cause it harm.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You put toothpaste in your mouth to clean your teeth, I doubt if it's dangerous to the environment. IN fact I'm surprised it even cleans teeth.

Alan

There is a plant that grows here in South Texas that is supposed to be good as a tooth cleaner. Both the frayed stem as a brush and the compounds in the plant are supposed to accomplish that end in the even of a temporary lack of "Crest".

I don't know the scientific or common name. I do know what it looks like. If I find a picture I'll get back with it. Hope this helps.

Alan

People get this crazy idea that we can damage the earth. The earth could care less what we do to it. The only thing we can impact is our ability to survive on it. the earth will keep on spinning whether we are on this tiny bubble or not and in...or...a billion or so years whatever we might have done will have been more than corrected I'm sure. That should put things into proper perspective. Toothpaste not withstanding.

I like google earth. It puts things in perspective. Zoom out, and the largest mountain is insignificant. It doesn't even make a bump on the surface. Everything composts, eventually. In ten thousand years? Not even a blip on the time frame of the universe. In ten billion years our solar system will be unrecognizable, much less a spat of toothpaste in the bushes.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 01-03-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    People get this crazy idea that we can damage the earth. The earth could care less what we do to it. The only thing we can impact is our ability to survive on it. the earth will keep on spinning whether we are on this tiny bubble or not and in...or...a billion or so years whatever we might have done will have been more than corrected I'm sure. That should put things into proper perspective. Toothpaste not withstanding.
    You sound like Ian Malcolm from "Jurassic Park" (the book).
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

I am Ian Malcolm. From the book. At least I have been called a character a time or two.

Me, too. One of those insults disguised as a compliment.

I've always just packed along those extra tiny tooth pastes that I get from airlines or hotels.

Let a comet or two give us a slam dunk if you want to see climate change...

Alan

Woodsman

I use pine needle tea as a mouthwash, pine twig instead of willow(not as effective but readily available) and if you can handle the taste charcoal make great toothpaste.

Wink

I just pop them out, rinse them off in the creek and pop them back in.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Stick with a slow runnin' creek. It's too easy to lose a set in a fast creek.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by chiggersngrits View Post
    I just pop them out, rinse them off in the creek and pop them back in.
    Now that right there is funny............in a denturegrip kind of way.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel