Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clothing Material Around Fire

Default Clothing Material Around Fire

I live in South Florida where it is hot and humid much of the time. I spend a lot of my weekends camping and that means camp fires.

I have always wore cotton. But, in the last 7 years or so switched to polyester shirts. I have wondered about the risk of fire. Now, I wear mostly polyester when golfing.

I did a search on how different materials burn. I was surprised by some and would like our members thoughts.

https://youtu.be/Vio4kleGxhM

Cotton goes up in flames and polyester melts to your skin. Pick your poison. I wear whatever and just exercise due caution. It is fire.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I live in South Florida where it is hot and humid much of the time. I spend a lot of my weekends camping and that means camp fires.

I have always wore cotton. But, in the last 7 years or so switched to polyester shirts. I have wondered about the risk of fire. Now, I wear mostly polyester when golfing.

I did a search on how different materials burn. I was surprised by some and would like our members thoughts.

https://youtu.be/Vio4kleGxhM
    That first statement sounds funny.....Hot and humid.....campfires....LOL
    Why is that?
    90's and everyone sitting around a fire?...

Anyway, I wear whatever, as well, and am careful.....can't say I ever started my self on fire,,,,,except fooling with stoves/fuel.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Smoke helps with the bugs down here.

I used to not tolerate polyester well but I tend that way now. Cotton just sucks up the sweat and you might as well be Naked and Afraid. LOL. I haven't sworn off cotton though. It's much more comfy in the winter (such as it is in FL).

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

My Mom had the solution to this problem, no matter what the type of fabric in use, and stated it firmly over 60 years ago.

Not heeding her advice would result in a burning sensation in the posterior area after the first warning.

"Quit playing in the fire!"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Have you checked the label on polar fleece lately?
    Ya probably wouldn't be wearing it in Florida much, but up north here, where fires are built to keep warm, you don't want to hug one in your fleecy sweatshirt.
    I'm usually wearing T-shirts, or sweatshirts, or a barn coat when playing with an open fire.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I purchased an expensive REI Shirt for a trip to Canada, years back when the Polyester shirt returned. Only to discover after one night around the campfire I had a small 1/4" hole on the front where a cinder had landed. I lucked out found a similar color and stuck a pocket for the phone there.

My Lesson was learned.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

We always have a fire in camp and it never really has much to do with anything other than we like a fire in camp. We cook on our fire sometimes and sometimes we have two fires. One just for cooking.

We are completely unrestricted where we camp as far as fire go. We use our boots as much as not to "tend" the fire. Never worried about my boots or my cotton cargo shorts or jeans. But, I have always avoided polyester. Just doesn't seem like it has AS BIG a concern as I was led to believe.

We have camp fires all the time...cooking and for no reason as something to focus the groups attention.
    I suspect this has been this way since the discovery of fire.

As far as what to wear....that is up to the person, whatever you feel comfortable wearing.

Side thought...our guys in the factory, dealing with metal plating wore polyester so the acids and other chemicals didn't eat the clothes up.

Just a few thoughts here.
    1. Frayed, unhemmed or fringed edges are great places to catch a spark or catch on fire easily. I bet Hunter and Ky know several folks who have "singed" the fringe off of their cotton and linen hunting frocks.
    2. The "softer" the finish, usually, the more surface area the fiber or thread has. The more surface area, usually, the faster the flame front can spread.
    3. Almost all plastics will "vapor" or rather give off flammable vapors when heated. The vapors are, usually, extremely flammable and will burn at a, comparatively, high temperature in comparison to "natural/organic" fibers such as linen, cotton or wool.
    4. Being on fire sucks. It is really, really hard, based on my observations and experiences in the field to remember to "Stop, Drop, and Roll" when you are on fire.

I love camp fires and have spent many many hours watching fire. Either in a fireplace, wood stove, an open faced gas stove (Dearborn) and of course cooking and camp fires.

A few times, in very unique circumstances, inside of a burning structure with bunker gear and an SCBA I have watched, for just a moment, a flame front move across a ceiling or down a wall. It is almost mesmerizing. Very hypnotic. I love it and miss that part of my work a lot.

I grew up around welding and torches. I bought a blended pair of jeans. A chunk of slag burned through my jeans into my boot and that was good enough for me to leave it alone for near on 25 years. Didn't catch on fire. Just burned like hell.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Cotton goes up in flames and polyester melts to your skin. Pick your poison. I wear whatever and just exercise due caution. It is fire.
    I've read too many stories about people who have had poly materials melt into their skin and doctors needing to peel it off or cut it out. BTW, once its melted into the skin, peeling involves taking a bunch of skin along with the poly material. I avoid it like the plague

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    I've read too many stories about people who have had poly materials melt into their skin and doctors needing to peel it off or cut it out. BTW, once its melted into the skin, peeling involves taking a bunch of skin along with the poly material. I avoid it like the plague

Poly definitely aides in the evaporation of sweat. That helps the body regulate temperature. I can easily attest to the difference in being completely soaked in sweat in all cotton or in the same temperature be mostly dry. I have seen and experienced many cases of hyperthermia. I have not yet even heard of anyone I know dealing with a burn because of polyester.

But, like I said I have avoided it around fires. Just found that it doesn't actually just melt instantly and slower than cotton interesting.

I think the more important issue here, and everyone has touched on it, is to wear appropriate clothing for your environment. Then practice common sense and safety rules just like you would your knife or firearm. Both of which can be dangerous if misused.

I agree with that Rick.

Is there a way to make normal clothing more flame retardant? (besides keeping it out of the fire)

There are ways to make clothing more flame retardant.....
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Cloth-Fireproof

Back when we were racing sports cars....we treated coveralls with a Borax solution ....as discusses in #3 and #4 as an outer layer.....but still need to purchase and wear Nomex long underwear.

Was stiff, scratchy and caused redness where you would sweat thru the underwear.

The worst burns I ever saw for a camp fire was from a flaming marshmallow that some one flipped the stick up....marshmallow flew off and landed on a girls neck......Bad burn.

That said, if you need fire retardant clothing.....best to not play with fire.....
    Remember,...If you play with fire, you will wet the bed.

I agree with Rick's last post. Wear what is correct for the environment and be safe.

I don't see any real benefit from flame retarded clothing in the woods. I think safety can be more than adequate for a desired outcome.

Worse I ever saw was at a church gathering. Kid fell off his bike into a fire and got burned bad. He spent a few months in a national children's hospital in a special burn unit. After that it was 2-3 years of surgery, skin grafts, and therapy. He made a full recover with some scarring. He is very lucky. Safety practices could have avoided this, but lots of kids and parents learned a lesson from this situation. Still gets brought up at church anytime a flame of any kind is needed including candles.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Banned

Most of the moister wicking poly weave fabics and similar will easily get holes from even tiny embers so best to change into cotton denim at night for around the fire. And warn others when you are going to add a log or stoke the fire. I stop by thrift stores and look for heavy canvas or leather coats and pants for nights around the fire. If you brush off the embers quickly there is little chance you will go up in flames but not something I want to risk. If apparel had cooking oil or lighter fluid and fuel spilled on it you could be a burn unit patient or worse.

I keep my fires small but may folks I group camp with do not. Small fire is just as fun and not as hot, sweaty collecting wood and throwing heat and embers.

I had some canvas custom made cushions in front of my home's fireplace treated with fire retartant but in recent years studies have shown that the vapors from it may be toxic. Common sense is better.

Edit: Embers will also burn holes thru your tents and tarps and large ones even thru a plastic canoe/kayak. Another reason why I don't like large fires of the wrong wood. I always ask the others in my camping group where they plan to put the fire then pitch up wind from that as far as possible.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-21-2015 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Tents and embers

when I'm in the woods wool is usually textile of choice. No problems there with a fire. Frogg toggs on the other hand are real fragile when it comes to a fire.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?