Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nubian Dairy Goats

Default Nubian Dairy Goats

I raise and enjoy Nubian dairy goats. I have over 20 does (the term "Nanny" is derogatory) and 1 buck (never have had a "billy"!) at the present time. I just bought a new buckling with some NICE blood lines. Need to decide if I am keeping any of this years bucklings and which ones we are putting into the freezer or canning jar.

This year, due to our extremely wet spring, we had a real rough time with parasites. I trim hooves for two Boer goat herds and they not only had a bad worm season but lost several goats to other causes (like over feeding). Did any other goat folks here have abnormal problems this year?

During the 13 years that I have been raising goat I have drank a lot of goat milk. We had a separator (until a fire) and made a LOT of butter (for those that do not know...... goat milk has smaller fat molecules which do not rise as readily as cow milk). Have also made cheese and soap.

I have entertained thoughts of adding a 2nd breed. Have been thinking of Oberhalsi.

Mom brought a goat home to the farm once. Dad walked out to leave for work and the goat was standing on his Caddy.

No more goats.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

We had Nubians growing up. My mom sold the milk and we made a lot of cheese. Yummy!
    Last edited by 1stimestar; 09-24-2015 at 11:52 PM.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

We had Nubians growing up also, goat milk is much more like human milk and easier to digest than cows milk, so when my mom had serious heartburn while pregnant her doc recommended goats milk, the price in the store of a tiny container of goats milk sent us on the look out for a milking goat, which started a favorite past time for me as a teen, and that was touring the tri-state area showing goats.

There was no such thing as "meat" goat breeds in the US at the time, just dairy. Meat breeds (well Boers anyway)have only been over here since the 90's.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Mom brought a goat home to the farm once. Dad walked out to leave for work and the goat was standing on his Caddy.

No more goats.
    Goats like to get up on things. Big rule for them....... The more expensive the better! Most vehicles here are to tall (pickup or better). Most expensive? The 18-wheeler.

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    There was no such thing as "meat" goat breeds in the US at the time, just dairy. Meat breeds (well Boers anyway)have only been over here since the 90's.
    And now there are Boers all over. Lot's of "scrub" ones that folks have to get property tax reductions, and then the expensive ones.

You asked about adding a second breed. Does that cause problems if you want to sell them down the road? Can you keep em separated?

I've never raised goats but used to care for a neighbors "pet" wether. Not sure what breed he was but was tall enough to look me in the eye (yeah I'm only 5'-4" but still...) and he was smart enough to get out of whatever pen they built for him if he cared to get out. Sure loved the wild multiflora roses that grew like weeds on their back fence. Was a sucker for molasses oats too (like my grandpa's horse) so could always get him back to the barn in the evening.

Sure do wish I could get a couple pygmy milking goats. Do you think I could convince the neighborhood association that they are just funny looking dogs? That milking part though might get me in trouble there.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

There is a clause in our association rules that says, "No farm animal may be kept on property, especially Rick." I mean, come on, that's not right.

Yeah, that Rick-type farm animal sure is nasty.
    They worry about run-off into the lake... My neighbor has a St. Bernard dog, along with several labs and german shepherds up and down the street. Most of the houses have lush chemical-green lawns on the lakefront. Not to mention the flocks of Canada geese... And they're worried about a couple tiny goats?
    (We won't tell them about the pickup truck load of cow manure I trench into my garden every spring...)
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

'Zactly...

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    You asked about adding a second breed. Does that cause problems if you want to sell them down the road? Can you keep em separated?
    Excellent question, LowKey! Depending upon management (and escapes) it could! Being I milk my goats and that they are registered, I don't let bucks run with does. Permitting bucks to run with does can cause off tasting milk. When bucks are in rut (breeding season) they can stink. And STINK bad! Even with one buck, I prefer not to let the genders run together so I can plan when to dry off lactating does. So........ with the separation of the genders (given no buck(s) escape there pen), this would not cause a problem.

Sounds as if we are about the same height. And yes, goats do listen to there stomachs.

If you were to get some of the small milk goats, you would be better off with Nigerian Dwarfs (recognized as a dairy goat by the breed associations) instead of a pygmy. Sadly, many neighborhood associations, home owner associates, towns and so forth frown upon small livestock. What they do not know is that does and wethers do not smell any more than a dog! Does can be taken for "dates". Hens are fairly quiet (can understand the no rooster part in many towns). Rabbits as well are relatively order free and are very quiet!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There is a clause in our association rules that says, "No farm animal may be kept on property, especially Rick." I mean, come on, that's not right.
    Darn. I'd be spitting mad if I were you! You are right. That just ain't right!!!!!!!! Why I am very thankful to be in an unincorporated area of the county. When I first moved here, only "permit" or inspection I needed was septic. Now, we are supposed to register our water wells. Yea................ so they know where it is when they want to cement them all in (like some towns in this area have done!).

I actually like goats. Something about their eyes...

My buddy just got chickens... in town. His Dad has Alzheimers and goes out to watch the chickens for hours.

tami for worms try diotomaceous earth just make sure to mix it with something wet so they dont breathe it
    bad for lungs but great for for a intestinal clenser be it human or animal.

Pygmy goats, my bad. I guess not all small goats aren't "pygmies."
    Yeah, I've been eyeing the Nigerian Dwarfs.
    They may be a little too big though. The African Pygmy is smaller and I'm kinda fond of the agouti brown coloring and brown eyes. Blue-eyed goats are kinda freaky-looking. That big old wether I cared for was agouti brown with a black stripe down his back and almost black eyes. Looked like a great big deer. Sure glad he didn't have his horns. Knocked me on my aff a few times with a head butt.

Hens not allowed. No idea why with all the geese in the lake.
    Rabbits "as pets" are allowed but no more than 2... I guess one could plead ignorance. I only bought two, now have 10... no idea how that happened....
    Last edited by LowKey; 09-21-2015 at 09:06 PM.

Nothing wrong with Nubians. I'm told they are the best milk givers. Ours always put out more milk than we could drink.

Banned

Unfortunately I don't have the time or space for goats now but when I lived in East Texas I purchased raw goat's milk from a colleague at work. We just rotated bottles in the refrigerator at the office. A guy I met at a Texas group campout told me that the legal way to sell raw goat milk and cheese in Texas was for someone like me to buy a part of or a whole goat from someone local and have them "raise" it for me then I drive out there and collect the milk from them several times a week. I have not looked into this yet. My wife and kids drink organic cow's milk which I don't digest well, partly due to the ultra pasteurization but also the fats in it. So I have just been using Almond milk in breakfast cereals, but don't enjoy drinking it alone like I do goat's milk.

As a kid for several years we had about 30 head of dairy cattle that I helped with, but we only did the minimal amount of pasteurization and drank most of it within about 24 hours. This cow's milk sold in super markets today is just not the same, even the premium stuff. The "organic" milk at Walmart is almost about to expire, I avoid that like the plague!

Edit: Latte Da Dairy sells their goat's cheese through some local markets in the DFW area and another place sales raw cow's milk but I have not yet been able to find raw goat's milk in the North TX/DFW area on a regular basis. Texasrealmilk dot org and the goat associations may have more info I should probably try to contact them more directly.

This link explains how the goat/cow shares typically works:
    http://www.zenubi.com/Shares.html
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-22-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Goat cheese/milk raw and local

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I actually like goats. Something about their eyes...

My buddy just got chickens... in town. His Dad has Alzheimers and goes out to watch the chickens for hours.
    I have seen this with chickens! Folks surprised at there characters!

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    tami for worms try diotomaceous earth just make sure to mix it with something wet so they dont breathe it
    bad for lungs but great for for a intestinal clenser be it human or animal.
    We have been using D/E for years. Full of trace minerals. We call it "goat coke"...... Mix it with there feed. Have had no troubles with lungs. We have taken it as well. However, have to feed HEAVY to take care of worms, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    when I lived in East Texas I purchased raw goat's milk from a colleague at work.

A guy I met at a Texas group campout told me that the legal way to sell raw goat milk and cheese in Texas was for someone like me to buy a part of or a whole goat.......

My wife and kids drink organic cow's milk which I don't digest well, partly due to the ultra pasteurization but also the fats in it.

As a kid for several years we had about 30 head of dairy cattle that I helped with, but we only did the minimal amount of pasteurization and drank most of it within about 24 hours.

Edit: Latte Da Dairy sells their goat's cheese through some local markets in the DFW

Texasrealmilk dot org and the goat associations may have more info I should probably try to contact them more directly.

This link explains how the goat/cow shares typically works:
    http://www.zenubi.com/Shares.html
    I did some cutting! Yes, we drink the milk raw. Even minimal pasteurization can turn real milk into junk! Kills heat sensitive vitamins. You are right about pasteurization being not so great. Turns LactASE into Lactose......... Also other factors linked negatively with pasteurization (autism, cancer) and homogenization (diabetis, cholesterol, obesity.....). Also, broke up fat cells harder to digest. You are also right that cows milk has larger fat molecules. A lot of folks who cannot drink most store milk can drink raw. Some who cannot drink cow milk can drink goat!

As to raw milk sales in TX...... They are legal if one is Grade A ($$$$$$$$$). Most folks go herd share or other routes. I have dealt with RealMilk. com before. Sadly, a lot of potential producers do not list there because the state sometimes trolls there.

Funny you should mention Latte Da...... (they are close to me and they also show a lot......) My current buck has some of that herd's breeding. And, some of my herd traces back to the Zenubi herd as well!