Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Report on the Bear Grylls knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If a knife meets your needs how can another knife meet your needs better? Any given knife either meets your needs or it doesn't. And I'm not certain that paying more money qualifies a knife as being better.

I'm with you Sarge. I like Gerber. The only reason I don't care for the BG knives is I don't have a need for the orange color. If I spent a lot of time in the snow my opinion would be different I'm sure. [/COLOR]
    1. great thread thanks for pointing out the changes.
    2. In my company vehicle, with a deep black floor, if I hit the brakes the phone or charger or something hits the floor. They are all black and become quickly invisible to some, and even with great eyesight - you cant see it. I have swapped out all the charge wires to white because of this. SO you drop a black knife in tall grass or ground cover, a little orange may help you recover an important tool in the woods. I might add a little orange to my Iphone. Look I am not a fan of bright colors in the woods. I hate bright tents... Bears love them, & so do Condors...They love trashing them.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I like Gerber, but my distaste for BG overshadows my desire to purchase one.
    +1 I like watching the entertainment by the way he is the producer of Naked and Afraid. Part of why we don't like BG is his style... its very bold. Ray Mears - British and respectful - to me has a better style.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I wouldn't buy one because all y'all would laugh at me........Being sensitive and all......
    laughing_owls_04.jpg
    Yeah, but....orange handle?????

BTW...looking at Gerber knives....love my little Touche' Belt buckle knife....seems they mad one the fits the Altoids tin....Now THAT is smart marketing.......LOL

I agree.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 09-16-2015 at 11:35 PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post

+1 I like watching the entertainment by the way he is the producer of Naked and Afraid. Part of why we don't like BG is his style... its very bold. Ray Mears - British and respectful - to me has a better style.

I agree.
    I don't think BG is connected with N&A........at least publicly......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I don't think BG is connected with N&A........at least publicly......
    I didn't think he was either.

+1 on Ray Mears
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I didn't say my knives don't have color. Only that I didn't care for orange. But if I lose my RAT 7 in the grass I have some bigger issues to deal with.

Banned

Default Price and feature comparison

This is another fairly good review of this full tang stainless steel "bushcraft" orange knife by Gerber. Note that in conclusion the reviewer does agree that while the high chromium steel is better than most cheaper SS it could be better. I have also read some people complain that there is no need to coat it black but other knife manuf do that. Even a high chromium steel can corrode if it is not properly maintained especially in a saltwater environment and some people just like black blades.

http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogsp...imate-pro.html

Prices vary a lot depending on where you live, even Amazon is now pricing by region but for me the price would be the same for both Walmart ship to store and Amazon Prime (i.e. shipping include) was $54.80 for this Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Pro Fixed Blade

A few other "bushcraft" or "survival" knifes to consider in this general price range are:

Condor Tool & Knife Bushlore ( Micarta Handle with Leather Sheath $51 Amazon Prime)
    Morakniv Bushcraft (soft handle, 2/3 tang) ($54 Amazon Prime)
    RAT-3 OKC ($65 Kydex Sheath Amazon Prime)
    Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion $72
    Esee3 $100 approx many variations
    Fallkniven F1 many variations
    Helle Temagami
    Spyderco Bushcraft
    Fiddleback Forge KE Bushie
    Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter

Here is a review on a little Gerber "Made in the USA" for those of you who like those rubber overmold handles.
    I just want to know if it is more like Thermorun or Kraton or softer than both?

Gerber Gator Fixed Blade
    http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogsp...urce=BP_recent

Edit: My guess, not a prediction, is that by the trajectory that BG and Gerber are following, if they do not go their separate ways, they may eventually produce a survival/bushcraft blade that is made with a high quality, high carbon steel and comes with the option of a leather sheath or at least Kydex and a better sharpening tool. But the odds of any military/police force or special forces purchasing blades mass produced by BG/Gerber are virtually zero. Therefore I consider them entry level blades. Tie a reflective cord lanyard onto your blade if you need to find it in low light or the snow etc. Or if some crazy chick throws it into the bottom of a creek/river...
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-17-2015 at 08:16 AM. Reason: guess/predition

Blog Entries

Cool Here's the point...

I'm not trying to sell anyone on buying the knife, but to make the following points:

On the negative side:

1.) A hollow handled knife has a manufacturing problem causing it to break at the point of least resistance.

2.) the knife is heavier than the sheath, there fore if lost you've also lost anything concealed on the inside.

On the positive side:

1.) Tactical sheaths are also being made in addition to tactical knives.

2.) Many times these sheaths are equipped with a firesteel loop and a small pouch or two.

3.) The idea here is to follow Gerber's (and others) ideas and find ways to make your own knife sheaths tactical, and to hold your small items....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

"Celebrity survivalist Bear Grylls tweeted yesterday: "Our man vs wild producer suffering from a brutal snake bite -- fighting the injury with courage,” with the gut-wrenching photo shown below.

Since then, the photo (which shows the skin rotting away from producer Steve Rankin's foot) has gone viral and is creating quite a stir in the social media world.

A Discovery Channel source told the Huffington Post that: "The photo was taken three weeks ago, when Grylls and Rankin were shooting a new series for the network called 'Naked & Afraid' Since then, Rankin has undergone surgery for the wound, and his prognosis is very good."
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 09-17-2015 at 09:47 PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I just could not make myself ever buy anything that had that fellows's name on it. 9CR19MoV is hardly a premium steel. The knife might work well for some, but it won't hold up under hard usage, and you could never, ever, have any pride of ownership with it.

Having the sheath function as a carrier for 'survival' gear just does not appeal to me, and serves no real purpose. Just my humble opinion of course, other's will vary.