Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report on the Bear Grylls knives.

Blog Entries

Cool Report on the Bear Grylls knives.

I get ribbed from time to time because of my interest in the Bear Grylls knife. However there is a method to my madness, I study them.

First, for the record, the knives are manufactured by Gerber;a sound knife making company.

Second, we all have harsh feelings for hollow handled knives...most of us anyway.

Third, the knives have extra survival attachments and have been improved over time. This is what we'll look at.

When the 1st Gerber BG knife came out, Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife, and it cost $60. There were some problems. At first the knife only came with a serrated edge. it alsosported a knife sharpener, and an emergency whistle.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-0007...r+grylls+knife

The fire rod was upside down in it's holder and, sure enough, complaints of them falling out of their holders came pouring in. So the model was then offered in a straight blade version. Several smaller models were also offered.

Still the problem with the upside fire striker remained so another model was produced:

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-0019...r+grylls+knife

This model put the fire steel where it's suppose to be and also has a knife sharpener, straight blade, and whistle. The steel is better quality,and there's apocket on the back of the sheath with a one page survival guide that will tell you all you know about how to survive. Iown one of these and am satisfied with the way it's made...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

what kind of testing have you put it through?

I ran across one of his canteens at Walmart the one with the removable metal cup on the bottom. I then watched one of his shows where he cooked some rat pee soup and decided I wanted it...when I got back they were all gone and I have not found another yet.....
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Banned

Good review. Most important thing about gear like BG brand items is that it is highly available to the public, just about anyone can pick it up in a local Walmart, find a youtube video or online review. Or get it from Amazon, eBay or jet etc.

However, if a person with a deeper knowledge of blades spent more time looking for blades and spent the same or a little more money they should be able to find one that met their needs better. How many blades can you use at once?

That is my personal opinion about many other types of outdoor gear by B. Grylls and others. I prefer to have a small amount of top quality gear than a garage full of great bargains.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by randallss7 View Post
    I ran across one of his canteens at Walmart the one with the removable metal cup on the bottom. I then watched one of his shows where he cooked some rat pee soup and decided I wanted it...when I got back they were all gone and I have not found another yet.....
    Prices in your area may differ but you should be able to have it shipped to your local Walmart for about $23 for no shipping cost.
    Once Walmart shipped the wrong item to me, but I had the people at WM customer service return it and reordered. Then I got the correct item it was a Lodge Dutch oven, someone at warehouse put shipping sticker on a box of furniture. OH well!

I have always thought that Gerber knives were a great product for the price! I have a liner lock paraframe handle Gerber pocket knife that is scary sharp, and it holds its edge well! I only gave $16 dollars for it on amazon and do not regret buying it at all!

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    what kind of testing have you put it through?
    Everything you'd use a knife for, cutting and slicing. I don't baton with any of my knives although I've seen a you tube vid where somebody did....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr
    if a person with a deeper knowledge of blades spent more time looking for blades and spent the same or a little more money they should be able to find one that met their needs better.

If a knife meets your needs how can another knife meet your needs better? Any given knife either meets your needs or it doesn't. And I'm not certain that paying more money qualifies a knife as being better.

I'm with you Sarge. I like Gerber. The only reason I don't care for the BG knives is I don't have a need for the orange color. If I spent a lot of time in the snow my opinion would be different I'm sure.

I like Gerber, but my distaste for BG overshadows my desire to purchase one.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I like Gerber, but my distaste for BG overshadows my desire to purchase one.
    Gerber makes several non Bear Grylls knives!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If a knife meets your needs how can another knife meet your needs better? ....The only reason I don't care for the BG knives is I don't have a need for the orange color.
    You just proved my point.

Instead of buying the BG signature Gerber knife you choose to buy one that was not orange because orange did not meet your needs.

If anyone ever made the perfect knife for everyone of us...and we agreed on it......we can just all buy a "Mississippi GoFaster", and ditch all others.
    How boring.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr
    You just proved my point.

I have no idea how you concluded that but if it works for you then great.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Gerber makes several non Bear Grylls knives!
    I agree and do own a few of those and other products like a machete and multi tool. The op was discussing BG Gerber and simply expressed I would not own one and why. Has nothing to do with the quality, just can't stand the name sake.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I wouldn't buy one because all y'all would laugh at me........Being sensitive and all......

Banned

Gerber makes good entry level knifes, I don't have anything really bad to say about them. I once had some that I liked and used a lot. However, for very demanding use in very remote areas where you really need to depend on your blade I would not recommend one over something that I personally think is better. (Just personal preference based on decades of experience.)

The soft rubber over-mold can be fairly easily damaged in extreme heat and cold over many years of use and come off when you really need that extra grip like when your hands are slippery with blood processing game or fish. All metal handles are even more slippery. So talk to someone at a good blade counter about all the alternatives. Sometimes the BG signature line is not that much more than the other Gerber blades, smaller knives, machetes, hatches etc but there is probably some sort of a markup for his input and royalty. So you are paying for that "orange" and BG on those blades, hope you like it.

Personally I don't mind paying a little extra to know that a tool or piece of gear will not fail me when I really need it and a retail store is hours or days away and of absolutely no use to me.

Some one ought to do a review on a very important tool:
    The....."On end table, next to recliner", used to open potato chip bags, Mini candy bars....both now wrapped in Mylar, same formula as the lunar lander skin....cutting apples, cleaning fingernails, and opening Amazon boxes and bag with ordered gear that I was reminded, I needed."

Currently a Mora #1, but SAK does add a bottle opener, and mini scissors for possible use on those occasional, fancier beer bottles with a real cap, instead or a twist off......

Decisions, decisions.....

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Some one ought to do a review on a very important tool:
    The....."On end table, next to recliner", used to open potato chip bags, Mini candy bars....both now wrapped in Mylar, same formula as the lunar lander skin....cutting apples, cleaning fingernails, and opening Amazon boxes and bag with ordered gear that I was reminded, I needed."

Currently a Mora #1, but SAK does add a bottle opener, and mini scissors for possible use on those occasional, fancier beer bottles with a real cap, instead or a twist off......

Decisions, decisions.....
    Hummm...

I just glanced over at the table by the recliner and noticed the knock off SAK sent to me by the NRA. It is a duel purpose blade opening both chips and junk mail and has never failed me yet!

On at least one occasion I have used it to trim down a Styrofoam cup, allowing me to access my peanuts better and the knife came through with flying colors.

Go NRA !!!

I have actually watched some of you guys work with knives and I must say it was not a pretty sight!

So the brand, color, blade material or endorsement is of no real concern. The primary consideration is getting you through the job at hand without hurting yourselves!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-16-2015 at 10:45 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    So the brand, color, blade material or endorsement is of no real concern. The primary consideration is getting you through the job at hand without hurting yourselves!
    Yeah, but....orange handle?????

BTW...looking at Gerber knives....love my little Touche' Belt buckle knife....seems they mad one the fits the Altoids tin....Now THAT is smart marketing.......LOL

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.