Thread: Looking for Like-Minded People in NW Arkansas Who Would Like Some Help

Default Looking for Like-Minded People in NW Arkansas Who Would Like Some Help

Hello all
    My name is Lisa. I am a 51 year old retired registered nurse who is all about self-sufficiency. I have learned the hard way that doing it yourself is just really difficult.

I had written out all the details about myself here, but the post was denied so I'm going to try again with the bare basics. I am looking for a family or group who might could use my help in return for a place to live for awhile in the Ozarks. I have a plethora of unique skills I could bring to the table if anyone is interested. Currently reside in NW Louisiana. Let me just summarize: I am well schooled in the health field and I currently practice holistic healing techniques. I am a Christian. No kids. No spouse. Small herd of dairy goats, chickens and 2 dogs. I make my own cheeses and soaps from the goat milk. I have lots of seeds and knowledge of gardening I can bring. I am a filmmaker and amateur photographer. If anyone makes YouTube videos or anything along those lines, I can help them out. Looking to team up with someone who could use my help for a place to live in the Ozarks.

Anyone interested or know anyone interested? Please contact me If anyone would like to meet me, I'll be happy to give them a link to my social media page.

Banned

Welcome and good luck with your venture. No spam etc. rules are necessary, many people want free advertising space.

I have some friends and relatives who live in N-AR (Fayetteville area to Baxter county near small towns few have heard of) but they are not who you are looking for. They are already as self sufficient as they want to be. Lots of goats and guinea fowl etc.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.....
    Good luck on your search.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hello and welcome. Good luck with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If anyone here knows of a better place to post something like this... where I'm more likely to find a group or family, please let me know.. Thanks!

Most everyone here pretty much has their own thing going on......so, yeah maybe not a good place for a match.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaDianeRN View Post
    Hello all
    My name is Lisa. I am a 51 year old retired registered nurse who is all about self-sufficiency. I have learned the hard way that doing it yourself is just really difficult.
    Yes, it can be difficult IF you bite off more than you can chew at one time, financially and physically. To be truly self-sufficient, maybe the ticket would be to start off small, on your own place?

If the labors of rural living is more than you can handle alone, you may be able to barter and trade your services for what you need. (I do! I trade my artwork and culinary skills for many things that I couldn't otherwise do/have.)

If finances are tight, maybe you could look for a lease-purchase or owner financing agreement. Many rural sellers are quite motivated, especially these days because of the tanking real estate market. You may be surprised at how affordable some deals can be. Tip: Land/housing in the Ouachita Mountains (just south of the Ozarks) is often more of a bargain (more sparsely populated/fewer jobs).

I hope this doesn't happen, but I strongly suspect that you may find out the hard way that teaming up with a family of strangers could be more of a challenge than it is worth. The biggest drawback for them would be your animals, especially the dogs, Most rural folks have their own dogs that may not take kindly to a stranger's pets on the property. Your goats may prove to be a pain to keep confined if they do not already own goats.

After a while, you may not feel very self-sufficient; the average rural family's garden is BIG and requires much back-breaking work during the growing season. Then there's the endless canning during the harvest season. I'm afraid the garden/kitchen is where most of your offerings will end up, rather than healing, taking pictures or shooting videos. It's something to consider...

I wish you success in whatever you find to do!
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

I do know this guy in Alaska......

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Here's some thoughts, do not let your burning desire to get out into the wilderness override logic and common sense. Living with family is hard enough, but complete strangers? It might start off good at first, but as you get to know one anther it can turn into a disaster. Personalities will likely lash, then there's the problem of your living in somebody else's house, where, if they get tired of you, or upset, can ask you to leave. What do you do then? Things to think about...Both positive AND negative side of things...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I do know this guy in Alaska......
    If you're serious, shoot me a PM please

Quote Originally Posted by LisaDianeRN View Post
    Hello all

I had written out all the details about myself here, but the post was denied so I'm going to try again with the bare basics. I am looking for a family or group who might could use my help in return for a place to live for awhile in the Ozarks. I have a plethora of unique skills I could bring to the table if anyone is interested. Currently reside in NW Louisiana. Let me just summarize: I am well schooled in the health field and I currently practice holistic healing techniques. I am a Christian. No kids. No spouse. Small herd of dairy goats, chickens and 2 dogs. I make my own cheeses and soaps from the goat milk. I have lots of seeds and knowledge of gardening I can bring. I am a filmmaker and amateur photographer. If anyone makes YouTube videos or anything along those lines, I can help them out. Looking to team up with someone who could use my help for a place to live in the Ozarks.

Anyone interested or know anyone interested? Please contact me If anyone would like to meet me, I'll be happy to give them a link to my social media page.
    I cant help you but your story is interesting and I hope you keep us updated.

FWIW, I would guess anyone with the land and space to take you and your "herd" in, most likely has the skills you are offering, except the medical training, maybe you should try pushing that angle.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yes why not barter your medical skills instead of amateur photography and youtubing? Really, anyone with a camera is an amateur photographer! What else can you bring to the table? Tend the garden? Preserve the harvest? Are you expecting them to provide feed and veterinarian care for your goats when needed? Do you have any of your own income?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123
    If you're serious, shoot me a PM please

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't appreciate it. He lives a quiet, single life. The other folks know who I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlyette Adams View Post
    Yes, it can be difficult IF you bite off more than you can chew at one time, financially and physically. To be truly self-sufficient, maybe the ticket would be to start off small, on your own place?

If the labors of rural living is more than you can handle alone, you may be able to barter and trade your services for what you need. (I do! I trade my artwork and culinary skills for many things that I couldn't otherwise do/have.)

If finances are tight, maybe you could look for a lease-purchase or owner financing agreement. Many rural sellers are quite motivated, especially these days because of the tanking real estate market. You may be surprised at how affordable some deals can be. Tip: Land/housing in the Ouachita Mountains (just south of the Ozarks) is often more of a bargain (more sparsely populated/fewer jobs).

I hope this doesn't happen, but I strongly suspect that you may find out the hard way that teaming up with a family of strangers could be more of a challenge than it is worth. The biggest drawback for them would be your animals, especially the dogs, Most rural folks have their own dogs that may not take kindly to a stranger's pets on the property. Your goats may prove to be a pain to keep confined if they do not already own goats.

After a while, you may not feel very self-sufficient; the average rural family's garden is BIG and requires much back-breaking work during the growing season. Then there's the endless canning during the harvest season. I'm afraid the garden/kitchen is where most of your offerings will end up, rather than healing, taking pictures or shooting videos. It's something to consider...

I wish you success in whatever you find to do!
    Great post.....wise words....Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Yes why not barter your medical skills instead of amateur photography and youtubing? Really, anyone with a camera is an amateur photographer! What else can you bring to the table? Tend the garden? Preserve the harvest? Are you expecting them to provide feed and veterinarian care for your goats when needed? Do you have any of your own income?
    I agree! A medical professional would be in great demand & asset living in a remote area.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That is only true to a point.

I camp with several medical professionals and find that the most common advice they give is "load him up and get him to the ER!".

I remember one very nervous dental surgeon we had a one camp due to the presence of one very pregnant and past her due date camper. He spent the whole week praying that she would not sneeze or otherwise bring her condition to completion.

An "end of the world" scenario might be different, but we aren't there yet.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?