Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shemagh and thoughts on them...

Blog Entries

Cool And...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hey Lowkey - I have a winter mask for snow blowing or just out in the snow. It's a military version and it's the bees knees. If you wear glasses it even has supports on the side to hold the rails. The only problem I've ever had is it directs your breath up through the eye holes just enough to fog goggles. I don't have tight fitting goggles so it might work better with them. But it does keep you toasty. So much so I don't even use the chest pad at 0F. If I add the chest portion I get too hot.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    All of this stuff goes perfect with a hong....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    But I'm thinking of finding one of those mask-like things this winter, just to freak out the neighbors.
    This kind should work:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Your girl has a beard?......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by richbat View Post
    I'm considering purchasing a few Shemaghs and I am completely aware of their meanings and uses but,what I'd like to know is your thoughts on wearing them out and about,say hiking,hunting and so on,do you feel other people who see you with them and using them and so on look down upon you,kinda like some people look down upon anyone who doesn't buy USA made items? Seems with everything that's going on nowadays this might not be such a good idea to be seen with these or am I just worrying about something stupid? To me all they are is a cloth with many uses,to others,well maybe not...
    So, been kinda following along....and I guess I have to ask...Why would you care what they look like or what do you think they mean?

Kind of a don't care what other people think, kinda guy, my self......don't really care for the wear one because cause people on survival shows do...or did.
    Have worn neckerchiefs (left over for scouting days) or even soaked shop rags in hot weather, and baraclava or watch caps with face masks in cold weather.

I just haven't tried adding much of anything except ball cap or crusher hat....

Just curious.....?

@ Lowkey - They come with two of the 3m masks. Or at least they are supposed to. The masks are held on with velcro and they have an aluminum nose bridge that you can mold to your schnazzola.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Batch, those face shields look pretty cool. I've never seen anyone around here with one. Only place I can think they'd wear them is the snowboard trails up at the ski areas.
    Actually, I wonder if people would call the cops if they saw you wearing one on the street. (Yeah, they're like that around here.)
    I bought the SA masks for when we ride. Nobody is going to be alarmed at people wearing masks out in the woods riding. And they are fun and help with the dust when it is the dry season.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So, been kinda following along....and I guess I have to ask...Why would you care what they look like or what do you think they mean?

Kind of a don't care what other people think, kinda guy, my self......don't really care for the wear one because cause people on survival shows do...or did.
    Have worn neckerchiefs (left over for scouting days) or even soaked shop rags in hot weather, and baraclava or watch caps with face masks in cold weather.

I just haven't tried adding much of anything except ball cap or crusher hat....

Just curious.....?
    I don't care what they look like and the meaning behind them is a symbol of Identification and Culture and represents The country of Palestine,now with that said I think one would have to be a little inquisitive if it might offend some people here in the USA with all the things going on.Oh and I'm not doing it because the TV programs portray people wearing them,I bought them for there many uses.Hope this clears some things up for you.
    "Failing to plan is Planning to fail"

Banned

Default Back to the Shemaghs

I'm considering purchasing a few Shemaghs
    Back to these...

There are many sizes available so be careful you don't buy one smaller than you need depending on what you want it for. Some of the very cheap ones are only 39x39" (1x1 meter), standard is about 42x42" and extra large is about 54x54". A local Army/Navy store near me sells them for about $7-10 and that is the typical range online from eBay, Amazon and Jet etc. If it is only $2.50 including shipping it may be very small or something. Obviously you can buy fabric of whatever color or pattern, hem the edges and make your own but this is generally more expensive. If you are paying more than $12 it had better by very special, i.e. stars and strips to appear more patriotic if that is a concern.

Basically just to protect from sun and sand (i.e. very fine particle dust that is common in Western USA, Middle East, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Western India and many other parts of the world like N-Africa etc. etc.) Can also be soaked in a 0.5% solution of Permethrin, then let is dry out completely so it bonds to the fabric. This provides some barrier to mosquitos, sand flies and other biting and blood sucking insects around your head and neck. Many other uses for this small piece of thin fabric. Might protect from a bit of cold down to about 50 or 40F.

Edit: If Turkey or Proghorn hunting get one that blends in well, appropriate camouflage. Turkey have very good eyesight. I like khaki generally because in dusty environments everything gets that color. Folks that served in I/A often have them because they know how useful they are.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-15-2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: color and pattern depends on application

I don't care what they look like and the meaning behind them is a symbol of Identification and Culture and represents The country of Palestine,now with that said I think one would have to be a little inquisitive if it might offend some people here in the USA with all the things going on.Oh and I'm not doing it because the TV programs portray people wearing them,I bought them for there many uses.Hope this clears some things up for you.
    I thought that might be where you were going with this.....and yeah, I don't think it makes any difference....at least to me.
    Just seems like maybe a good addition....as the old scout neckerchiefs were.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I thought that might be where you were going with this.....and yeah, I don't think it makes any difference....at least to me.
    Just seems like maybe a good addition....as the old scout neckerchiefs were.
    Thanks.
    Your quite welcome and I do apologize if I came off a little heated.
    "Failing to plan is Planning to fail"

No worries........Just curious.

I have several , maybe 10 they work well for the intended purpose i also like them when sleeping out doors they keep the flies off your face kind of a mini mosquito net, they are just a piece of cloth like others have said but work good