Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shemagh and thoughts on them...

Default Shemagh and thoughts on them...

I'm considering purchasing a few Shemaghs and I am completely aware of their meanings and uses but,what I'd like to know is your thoughts on wearing them out and about,say hiking,hunting and so on,do you feel other people who see you with them and using them and so on look down upon you,kinda like some people look down upon anyone who doesn't buy USA made items? Seems with everything that's going on nowadays this might not be such a good idea to be seen with these or am I just worrying about something stupid? To me all they are is a cloth with many uses,to others,well maybe not...
    "Failing to plan is Planning to fail"

I occasionally use one while camping. My main purpose for them is relief from the heat. I have found however that some synthetic material that does a much better job for what I use it for. I think I picked them up at Lowe's. I use them often while working outside all day and they don't cause a second glance. http://www.missionathletecare.com/pr...iant=768374277

Quite frankly I don't give two hoots if somebody "looks down on me" for my clothing or purchasing habits. That's their problem, not mine.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

To me they are just another piece of cloth.

Thanks for the replies as of this far.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

I bought two of them, the 2nd one after using the 1st. they keep your head warm while sleeping in a sleeping bag. While driving my bus last year during the frigid winter cold, I wore one as did another driver. Here's some good info on it from my good friend Creek Stewart:

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/?s=shemagh

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sarge very nice site link you posted.Thank you

I also have shamaghs and similar head wear. I'm way too old to worry about what other's think of my clothing habits. Heck, I'm lucky if my socks match.

Hadn't see that, Crash. That's great. I have a couple of their towels and they work very well.

Good site, Sarge.

So can anyone recommend a good maker of the shemagh,seems some are pretty cheaply made with very loose weave.

The site Crash posted has well made shemaghs.
    I don't wear them, but a lot of the guys at work do. They call em Dew Rags, not shemaghs.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I have 3 shemaghs.

I also have one of the Mission multi-cools.

A half dozen or so Salt Armour face shields. http://www.sateam.company/

I have worn buffs for a long time and have probably another half dozen of those. http://www.buffwear.com/buff-adult-h...rotection-buff

When I first started wearing these at work I was wondering what people would think. But, all of the guys at work that tried them started wearing them also. Never noticed anyone seem concerned.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Quote Originally Posted by richbat View Post
    So can anyone recommend a good maker of the shemagh,seems some are pretty cheaply made with very loose weave.
    I bought two of these the same pattern as shown. My wife has two and my son one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s01

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Well ordered 3 from Rothco,thanks again folks.

I use a USGI cotton scarf. It measures 72" by 24", brown cotton.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by richbat View Post
    Loose weave is a feature. Cheaply made is pretty much the idea; you're talking about something that has been worn by every social class in a part of the world where poor goes way beyond any definition we're familiar with.

I keep two in the car year 'round. Dry, they'll keep you warm. Damp, they make a huge difference on a hot day. Either way, when you've got 2-4 layers over your mouth and nose you're not going to be breathing so much dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I also have shamaghs and similar head wear. I'm way too old to worry about what other's think of my clothing habits. Heck, I'm lucky if my socks match.

Hadn't see that, Crash. That's great. I have a couple of their towels and they work very well.

Good site, Sarge.
    I am not too familiar with the shemagh, but I can see where they would be very useful as a utility item for many purposes - towel, neck wrapping, sun shade and so on.

A similarly useful item is the cotton wraparound cloth used by Polynesians as clothing, privacy shield when bathing, clothing when working outdoors - the pareu, sarong or "ie lavalava" (Samoan term) I am surprised that this item is not mentioned as a useful item when backpacking or hiking - it can be use as a sunshade, a towel, a seat when on sand or the ground. It is also cool when worn in tropical or desert areas. If anyone asks about your wearing this, just explain that Rick brought back this fashion trend from Swains Island.

A simple rectangular piece of cotton cloth (about 6 feet by 3 feet), the lavalava is very useful and can perform many functions.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 09-13-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: add information

Well I was forced to wear something. The leoleo was getting too many complaints about nightmares.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NightSG View Post
    Loose weave is a feature. Cheaply made is pretty much the idea; you're talking about something that has been worn by every social class in a part of the world where poor goes way beyond any definition we're familiar with.

I keep two in the car year 'round. Dry, they'll keep you warm. Damp, they make a huge difference on a hot day. Either way, when you've got 2-4 layers over your mouth and nose you're not going to be breathing so much dust.
    I agree with this you don't necessarily need to over pay for them unless you want a particular print pattern or something.

A balaclava for the purpose of staying warm over night may be very different. Some of these are very expensive but the synthetic material ones sold at Army/Navy stores work fairly well down a ways below freezing. Way below 0F if I am sitting still in a deer blind or on a lake I prefer real wool or animal fur.

So what you are looking for is very thin cotton for hot weather, that "should not be expensive". Made in India is OK with me, millions are.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-14-2015 at 07:57 AM. Reason: typo

Batch, those face shields look pretty cool. I've never seen anyone around here with one. Only place I can think they'd wear them is the snowboard trails up at the ski areas.
    Actually, I wonder if people would call the cops if they saw you wearing one on the street. (Yeah, they're like that around here.)

I'd never really heard the term shemagh either. I was confused with the typical dew rags the guys wear at work. Only women around here wear the head scarves wrapped like that in public. I've never seen any of the guys wear them, ice fishing nor hunting, certainly not on the T riding to work. They wear the camo face masks or fitted balaclavas mostly. I wear a balaclava when doing the snow-blowing and if the wind chill is below instant frostbite. But I'm thinking of finding one of those mask-like things this winter, just to freak out the neighbors.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

Hey Lowkey - I have a winter mask for snow blowing or just out in the snow. It's a military version and it's the bees knees. If you wear glasses it even has supports on the side to hold the rails. The only problem I've ever had is it directs your breath up through the eye holes just enough to fog goggles. I don't have tight fitting goggles so it might work better with them. But it does keep you toasty. So much so I don't even use the chest pad at 0F. If I add the chest portion I get too hot.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I've wondered about those masks. Is the 3M part replaceable?