Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another question for our esteemed membership (2)

Default Another question for our esteemed membership (2)

When you "go out in the woods" how many layers of PKS do you have/take? I mean, after reading some posts on a couple of different threads about "primary PSKs" and "back up PSKs" I am just curious. I realize that the phase PSK needs to be quantified. I mean you could say, quite righteously, that your whole back pack/canoe load/car load is, in fact your basic PSK. I am very interested in going past that. As in, you dump your canoe in deep water and because you did not tie floats to everything or lash everything in the canoe you are now without the gear that either sank or disappeared, or or you leave your "base camp/tent/fire/shelter area" and when you come back it is looted, either by animals or mankind either way your gear is either gone or damaged pretty much beyond use. What do you carry or have to "fall back on"? Please don't get tied up in my what ifs, just think about how many different levels/layers of PSK do you carry? Do you always, no matter what, have a ferro rod and a knife on you? Do you always have a "personal EDC PSK" on you?

Thanks

In the woods, I keep a few PSKs on my body...one for tinder/fire, one first aid. In town I have an urban altoids tin.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

While I don't really call anything I carry a PSK, I do layer what I carry.

Day hikes -

Pockets
    Waist back
    Backpack

Canoeing/kayaking -

Attached to life jacket
    Pockets
    Shoulder/chest/waist rig
    Dry bags/boxes (other than leisurely float trips everything is secured)

Vehicle trips -

Pockets
    Waist bag
    Truck = Enough crap to live comfortably for a very long time
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I only have two designated PSKs. One is in my pack and one is my neck knife. That's beyond what's on my person such as clipped to my belt and in my pockets. Where I live if you let someone know where you are going it would be hard to be in a survival situation. Cold weather would be the greatest threat I think.

what the hell is a PKS? PSK? whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher View Post
    what the hell is a PKS? PSK? whatever?
    A "PKS" is your Pointed Killing Stick.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I don't call anything I have a PSK either. I carry some stuff on my belt, some in my pockets everyday. I wear cargo shorts and fishing shirts probably 360 days a year.

I have kits in my packs that probably would be what others call PSK. Though, I think of the signal stuff as rescue gear. The first aid kit as a first aid kit. And the rest of the items that could be used as shelter or water gathering and what not. I don't have them in a kit. Just items in my bag(s).

Lately I have been just wearing my Life Alert Pendent......
    http://www.lifealerthelp.com/?gclid=...AdIaAqGR8P8HAQ
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm with the other folks. I have small kits that I keep in my bags. A small fire kit, first aid kit, fishing kit, etc. As far as additional items, I just keep some necessities in the pockets. Extra lighter or two, extra knife, a small little first aid kit, some cordage, and maybe some other things depending on what I am doing. There really isn't anything I'd call a psk.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Lately I have been just wearing my Life Alert Pendent......
    http://www.lifealerthelp.com/?gclid=...AdIaAqGR8P8HAQ
    Since 77% of all injuries happen in the home that and a band-aid is all you really need, right?

It is also a fact that %100 of all drunk driving accidents happen after drinking, %100 of sports injuries happen while playing sports and %100 of hunting injuries happen while hunting. Probably the same for fishing accidents but I did not find statistics proving that.

I do not do the PSK beyond having gear in my vehicles. Most of that is due to my lifestyle and lifelong habits. I drop my pocket knife in my pocket when I put on my pants in the morning. I have always kept a method of making fire available, even though is has never been called to emergency use.

If you want to call the knife, water bottle and FAK I drop in my day bag for a hike a PSK I suppose you can, although I just consider that the stuff you carry for a hike.

Same with camping gear. Why would I need "layers of PSK" when I have a truck load of life sustaining camping gear?

I am really in favor of the "Pointed Killing Stick" and feel that was actually the very first "PSK" (personal survival kit) in the truest sense of the term, and I reference its use by chimps all over the world as proof, as well as the continued issuing of a bayonet to fit on the end of the worlds best assault rifles.

If you do not know how to make any other single tool in the world you can still make a Pointed Killing Stick.

And how many of us have taken our own kids to the woods for a day or a camping trip, before they were old enough to carry a knife, and seen them instantly hunt for a good stick to carry. I have seen some really emotional incidents over the theft of or damage too a good stick.

My vote is for the Pointed Killing Stick, first and greatest of all survival tools!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Make sure it longer that you are tall....so you don't fall and stick yourself in the eye.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    And how many of us have taken our own kids to the woods for a day or a camping trip, before they were old enough to carry a knife, and seen them instantly hunt for a good stick to carry. I have seen some really emotional incidents over the theft of or damage too a good stick.

My vote is for the Pointed Killing Stick, first and greatest of all survival tools!
    Yeah, the one you witnessed with us last June still is a source of contention with the little tots. Grudges over damaged sticks go for months!!!!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

hmmm. I'll answer one "layer". Knife, lighter, water container. I have and practice being out there with just those for 72 hrs... but this is FL.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Yeah, the one you witnessed with us last June still is a source of contention with the little tots. Grudges over damaged sticks go for months!!!!
    That situation was so typical I am sure it has played out millions of times in human history.

You find a stick that is just right, you work it over and make it better and it is just exactly the way you want it and what happens?

Your little brother comes along and throws it in a ditch!

In pre-Columbian Native American culture, and in some of the African nomadic cultures, digging was done using a specialized "digging stick", and some of them were highly specialized and decorated.

And the spear, hardened in the fire, was among the first weapons humans used and carried from place to place. Probably was only preceded by the club, which was a dull killing stick!

So here you have an early human community, the men carrying long wooden spears, the women carrying shorter digging sticks and the kids imitating the parents.

So finding your "pointed killing stick" for both male and female, from childhood through adulthood, is imprinted in the genetic code.

I still use one today, often carrying my stout walking stick as well as rifle or shotgun on my walkabouts.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

My "essentials for the day" largely depends on the time of year and location, but no matter what I do keep a knife and fire-makings (for water purification and/or warmth, and for signalling if needed) on my body. Another set is my carry pack. The stuff in my pack(s) are for comfort and would certainly be sorely missed if something happened to them but my knife and fire-makings represent survival and are literally tied to me.

Because there is always the possibility of losing even the basic tools for survival, I am constantly striving to adhere to the maxim, "The more you carry in your head, the less you carry on your back."

I didn't always believe in this, and relied too much on "things." The school of hard knocks taught this dummy some tough lessons!
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

Banned

I agree with Grizzlyette. Every trip is different I pack accordingly and the most important thing is my experience and ability to improvise and find solutions.

I also assess what others in the group have and where they are at all times. Make sure they don't wander off too far or at least tell me which direction they are going and mark their trail. I have been shocked at how few "experienced hikers" don't know how to mark a trail in a non destructive way or "look back" for mental markers. No wonder so many people get lost. I could go on and on guess not everyone was raised living a primitve lifestyle in the wilderness...

Edit: "Ideally" you would be properly prepared and with someone or a group of people you trust who are also "responsible". In the case of a personal watercraft most of your gear should be in dry bags/boxes that FLOAT and are properly tied to the watercraft that has proper floatation bags and/or is buoyant. If however your "girlfriend" apparently sabotaged your watercraft and you don't have a PFD, apparel etc. and are in frigid waters no PSK is likely to save you...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/drowned-dra...ry?id=33684847

I do not go on long treks into the very remote wilderness by myself without at least a Personal Locator Beacon which is not that expensive compared to the cost of a search and rescue. 99% of the time I am in a group of 4 or more people because I have a fully functional brain and many outdoor friends (one to stay with injured, 2 to go for help). Nearby parks and places with lots of other humans I do go by myself often, that is totally different. Not much even the best ER Doctor can do with the best belt carry PSK, ask one. (Assuming it is not just need for pure water, common minor scrape, cut or very minor dysentery etc. which it is about 99% of the time.) I have camped with several Doctors one is an ER Doctor. One Dr. did some on the trail work on a lady who injured herself. He had a large kit in his canoe but was still very limited in what he said he could do.

If your canoe, jon boat, kayak, paddle board or other personal watercraft does not have enough places to tie down your gear to you can add D-rings with PVC patches and many other methods. There is never a "good" excuse for someone with a fully functional brain to "loose their gear" or not have a PFD properly ON! or not have a spare paddle tied in etc etc.

http://www.nrs.com/product/2098/nrs-...FQGqaQodEi0DEA

Well perhaps their excuse is they ran off into the wilderness all half cocked and foolish...
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-13-2015 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Be prepared, but call for help as well

Quote Originally Posted by TX
    I have a fully functional brain and many outdoor friends

Looks like you are two steps ahead of most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by TX
    Not much even the best ER Doctor can do with the best belt carry PSK

That's determined entirely by the type of injury or illness and what the kit contains.

Banned

Default This may not be appropriate for you

I am not giving legal advice but I was told by my legal counsel that if the physical or medical needs of someone in a group I am guiding as a paid outfitter is significant and possibly life threatening I can be sued if I do not make an attempt to get them to an proper urgent care facility as quickly as possible and/or make all attempts to contact the best qualified medical personnel.

However you should check with your legal counsel and the laws and regulations in your state and area. Generally I tell people who have minor scrapes and cuts or dysentery that they may use my FAK at their own risk. Also that they can drink any water I attempted to purify at their own risk but there are no guarantees in life. Also that I have become sick many times from water and food that I believed was fine. Also all shelters fail, duct tape does not fix all of them.

The next 3 weekends the care of several 7th grade girls will be partly my responsibility as I take them down a river in tiny WW kayaks over several rapids. I take this very seriously.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-13-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo

Are outdoor friends like outdoor dogs? That's kinda cruel in the Texas heat ain't it?

I say if their really your friends, let them come in and give them a nice tall glass of ice cold Flavor Aid.