Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for our Membership (1)

I wear a neck knife often. It has a 4 inch blade, the sheath is strung on a piece of paracord or a strip of buckskin with no break away. I'm not concerned about combat or hanging myself. The knife is typically under my shirt and is only hanging out when I'm using it.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I have occasionally worn a neck knife but I'm not really fond of it. When I do it's with a breakaway cord but I have never liked anything around my neck.
    I agree with that. Just a heavy duty rubber band can work as a breakaway device as well, be sure to replace it before every trip or at least once a month. I also use these for emergency whistles if the cord length is long. I make sure every kid I take on a water trip has a whistle (signaling device as required by coast guard) but don't want them to become entangled in it and not be able to break away.

I very rarely put a small "neck knife" around my neck such as MoraKniv or CRKT river knife but mostly if on river it is attached to the PFD (most come with a place to attach these). Larger knife attached to dry-bag in easy reach. Can also be attached to front straps of backpack, or belt if hiking. Places where it is in easy reach but not a choking hazard. I am not a big fan of ankle/shin knives but if you have a good sheath this can work. Large blades (machete or kukri) attached to the side of your backpack may allow you to access the blade without removing the pack.

On the river in a kayak or canoe the most frequent use for a knife is to cut loose old abandoned fishing gear and tangled fishing line, if you are being washed down a rapid after being knocked out of your watercraft or have fallen into a creek while hiking or bank fishing and get entangled in fishing line and hooks it is a good idea to have a small knife handy that you can use to cut yourself free with. I have seen many birds and a few beavers etc dead or dying all tangled up in fishing line and hooks.

Many years ago I got washed about 30 yards down a steep creek because I stepped into it trying to retrieve my fly from a branch on the other side. I had to push the hook all the way through and cut off the barb to remove it, so it was a double FAIL!! ha ha ha.
    Unfortunately I cannot find any photos of my finger with the fly/hook in it I know how Rick loves those graphic photos...
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-14-2015 at 06:27 PM. Reason: typos

I carry a shave kit stuffed with my essentials. Goes with me everywhere.

Blog Entries

I have worn neck knives and make a good number of them for guys throughout the year but I don't generally wear them as much anymore for the above mentioned reasons. I prefer scout carry or cross draw. On my possibles bag there is a spot for a necker, I had it made larger for a necker over the patch knife which brings me to a more modern version of a possibles bag I do carry that has a necker in it.
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

Sir,
    It's my pleasure.

I tried the whole neck knife deal a few times. I've taken a few good tumbles over the years so my neck and shoulders start complaining very quickly if I even wear my dog tags. Having a few ounces or more of knife and kit around my neck just doesn't work. I try to figure out a way to get my knife on my belt or in my pocket. In the summer I use a belt clip or loop. In the winter I use a dangler to keep the knife accessible below my coat. That said, I never go anywhere without a knife. So even if its a cheap little cold steel safe maker around my neck I make sure there's a blade nearby.
    We're here for a good time, not a long time.Semper Fidelis