Thread: Kid's school in lockdown with nothing on the local news...

Banned

Default Kid's school in lockdown with nothing on the local news...

Just heard than my kid's school is in lockdown with nothing on the local news...
    Not a good feeling...

Apparently an active shooter, my kid should be in the gym at this time of the day...

Keep us posted........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Was NOT an active shooter. A kid I know said police came into his class and handcuffed another kid who had a weapon (not sure yet what exactly it was). Apparently police and other kids did everything right. I will reserve judgement on the legal guardians of the kid with the weapon... Last I heard school is still in lockdown. If it is just a Swiss Blade Army knife I will be ticked off... but it would be better I guess.

Every other kid on Twitter causes info to flow fast! Network and Cable TV is/was obsolete, about 10... 20 years ago.

Edit: It was a GUN... does not tell me much. Info from boy (on Football team not competitive shooting team) to his Mom to my Wife, they are not firearms people. So it could be a BB pistol or a 44 magnum. That is almost meaningless info...
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-11-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: weapon was a "gun"

Glad your kid is OK.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Glad your kid is OK.
    Plus one......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Glad it worked out.

Where abouts is this happening?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Banned

Police did two searches found no weapons or bombs. It appears one kid on perhaps the 9th grade Football team "lost" his phone a few days ago. Then on Sept 11 a call was made to 911/police and the school was put into lockdown. Finally the parents were called for early child pickup. For a long time kids in rooms were peeing in trashcans in closets, not pretty. Possible they will find the kid that made the prank call, but not certain.

Also possible kid really did just loose his phone at some other place like fast food restaurant and some person who does not even go to that school called in the "false police report".

I thanked the officer that works at this school who I have known for almost 3 years, told him I thought they did everything right to be very cautious. My older kid went there, I talked to the officer when basketball games were slow or at breaks etc. he is a nice guy who goes out of his way to get to know the kids.

I have been telling my wife and kids for a long time to install an app that allows each of us to track the GPS and/or tower triangulated location of their phone for a long time. Previous app stopped working a while back. They did not think it was urgent and ignored me. You should ALWAYS report your phone missing when you are fairly certain it is. Especially for a kid/teen. These pranks are NOT funny. The police MUST take them seriously even if odds are that they are most likely a prank.

Personally I would suspend the Football Season until the boys start talking, but doubt they will. This IS Texas. Life its self would stop. ;-)

Banned

Most parents are angry at their stress and wasted time and loss of school time for kids...

I am super ticked off at lack of respect for those who died on Sept 11, 2001 and all the military that died and were wounded defending us after that taking the battle to the terrorists. Iraq and Afghanistan.

I talked to a TV news reporter crew but I would NOT go on video or give them my name. They appeared to have all the same info I did. Same info was on TV this evening. They were very careful not to "slander" the kid who owned the phone, one camera man thought I was, he had been standing in 100+F for hours and not listening as I talked to the reporter. I did not either. But you should be responsible for your phone. If it is missing for several days and you make no attempt to recover it and do not report it you ARE A SUSPECT!!! KNOW HOW TO USE THE TECHNOLOGY! Ask the customer service people at your local mobile phone store for assistance, google information online, ask a friend etc. etc. Similar don't drive your car if you don't know how to use the brakes or don't know the tag # to call in if it is stolen etc. Could be used to rob a bank or far worse. Common sense.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I Remember
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-11-2015 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added photo of Tower by 9/11 Memorial

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

There is apparently an app by McAfee that you put on your phone and when activated turns off the phone then it takes a picture of the person turning on the phone and sends the gps location and picture to you.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Some kids might be afraid to tell their parents their expensive cell phone is missing.
    I could lose my phone for days and not know it's missing. Blaming someone for having their phone stolen and used in a felony is like blaming someone who had their car stolen while they're on vacation and it's used to commit a felony.
    Too many people jump to conclusions without all the evidence these days.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Banned

Our daughter in that school did not seem all that upset but many kids and parent were. Sunday morning local police had gathered enough evidence to arrest the person they believe made the false alarm or "report" at about 11:30 am Friday of a firearm and bomb at a specific location at the school. Police worked very hard all weekend on the case, this nonsense cannot be tolerated! There are apps for every phone even non-SmartPhones that can be used to track them "Find my iPhone" or "Mobile" are free and very useful. For years I used Gotcha! now I use a different one. They send fairly accurate location/address even if GPS is off or blocked plus a photo of person trying to turn on and access the phone to an email I designate. If battery is going low or person attempts to put it in airplane mode or disable also send location and photo, can send trail of locations every few minutes, etc. I'm not sure why more parents don't want to be able to track their kids just in case something bad happens to them. If your elderly parents run off the road into a creek/ditch etc etc. These things can happen. There are also "personal locator beacons" for hikers that are much cheaper than most search and rescue operations without one, trackers for vehicles etc. etc. Mostly people just need to use common sense.

Every kid, even a boy knows very quickly when his phone is missing, this kid knew! They did find the phone but only with police help. With the help of police dogs (canine units) they also found some drugs and made two other arrests on those charges, I was surprised there were only 2.

This article gives a brief summary of some of the apps but you really need to try some of them and see if they work for you. None that I have used are perfect 360 was faulty but worked across iPhone and Android. My daughter did not realize that "Find my iPhone" had the audio alarm that would sound even if her ringer was turned off. The critical parts of Lookout that most people need are free, not necessary to pay extra $3/month for premium unless you really want those features. But best to review all your options and decide for yourself.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/android...-a-cell-phone/

Options on Personal Locator Beacons and GPS trackers for vehicle can get very complicated or can be simple as well...

Before I am going to be gone on vacation I talk to my neighbors. I have known most of them for years. We look out for each other. If my car was missing before I was scheduled to return they would call my mobile number and then I would call the police. I talk to a lot of people, rangers on trails I hike, people at camps along rivers, campground owners, landowners every where. Most people will help you. My father taught me that decades ago.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-14-2015 at 08:46 AM. Reason: link to some apps