Thread: First annual Squirrel Hunt

Default First annual Squirrel Hunt

Stopped in our local saloon this afternoon....running errands and needed a break

Note: have nothing to do with this place, but do spend some time there......LOL
    Saw the sign.....what a hoot...only in a small Wisconsin town......

First annual Squirrel Hunt....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

https://www.facebook.com/JJ-on-Main-...8440/timeline/
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

i'll drink to that!
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

1st Annual. Hey, you gotta start somewhere. We should bring that up at the next F.A.R.T. meeting. We'd probably have to hunt in the park, though. Wouldn't want anyone getting lost in the woods or God forbid someone get injured out there. Your buddy might have left his specs in the truck and have trouble reading the first aid manual. And none of us would be caught dead doing mouth to mouth only to find out your partner was taking a nap. Almost forgot, since this is Wisconsin I assume there will be cheese.

Caught the "first annual", huh....LOL...yeah, that's what I thought.........
    They have like 5 guns for prizes and to raffle....and none are .22s .....guess they figure a 7mm-08 is a good substitute.

Owner actually works in Alaska and his wife runs the saloon.....flies back and forth.
    Ask him if he had a TV crew follow him around.......He just laughed.

....and if one of y'all are just not moving....I'll poke ya with a stick......then just get the backhoe....Oh ya, go thru your pockets first.

Oh, crap. I gotta write that down for next time.....go through pockets first. Got it.

Haha, we have one around me and it's been funnier then hell the last few years. Bunch of pansy asses from NYC have been trying to get it shutdown. They bus in protestors, so the residents for counter protests, it's hilarious to watch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

In my state protesters interfering with a hunt are subject to felony charges from the WMA. Go Kentucky! (most states have a similar law)

Seems most of those protesters do not know that their tax money does NOT FUND conservation of the wildlife. That money comes only from sale of hunting licenses.

The WMA does not want a bunch of yuppies interfering with their cash flow.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

We don't have much of that around here. They did a state park hunt to thin the deer herd and the only folks that showed up were hunters and news people. There was a lawsuit but it got crushed. They took 140 deer. Wounded Warrior vets got first choice on the hunt and 4800 lbs of meat was donated to the local food bank. How do you protest that?

There was a big protest over by Madison, Wi a few years ago.....public hunting ground....protesters were interfering with bow hunters.
    Sherriff arrested a bunch of people , including the wife of a prominent politician.

Speculation about arrest procedures, and possible strip searches, and such got to be quite a joke at the time......

Interesting side light....there had been enough of a problem, apparently....that the DNR Warden were called in for each Hunters Safety course, discussing laws and rights.....we took the course with a friend and his boy in prep for a "out west hunt".

Banned

Do most people use shot guns for squirrels there? Wooded area? Back foot on to verify it is fox squirrel and not some other species or a cat or something else like rat or small skinny nutria from Louisiana?

Many parts of TX, OK, LA have feral hog contests. I guess squirrel would be more accessible to a wider range of people. Wider range of weapons and even small traps, not sure how they would verify that people did not use traps except that they were honest folks. With invasive feral hogs most sponsors don't care, any which way the hog died is good enough.

Rules don't really say what can be used....except small game seasons, limits and rules apply.
    (pssssst) It is an excuse for a party.......Miller Lite $2.50 a can.

Mostly ridges, valleys......level ground- farm fields....steep ground- grazing.

Sunrise from my deer stand........

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The only time I see enough squirrels in one place to justify a real squirrel hunt is when I am sitting on a deer stand!

I swear they know I am after deer and can't shoot them with what I am legally allowed to bring for deer.

They come out and chatter my presence to everything in the woods and start throwing acorns at me!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

The loss of hardwood forests in much of the south (perhaps north as well?) due to pine plantings for paper mills has had a much bigger impact on squirrel populations than deer. This and the fact that squirrels in the true wild behave much differently than by a bird feeder or in most of suburbia make them far more difficult to hunt than most people would believe. Getting a bag of 10 in a day is not that easy. This is one of the best articles I have read. Depending on the terrain I would recommend a shotgun over a .22lr or .22wmr or .17hmr most kids would just destroy the meat with those, but anything to get a kid outdoors when it is not deer season or they filled their deer tags.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the...angerous-game/

There are some reasonably good WMA in East Texas that I will not mention on a public forum but the Sam Houston National Forest north of Houston, TX is terrible for squirrel hunting due to all the paper mill logging that ruined the hardwood, I have seen almost more feral hogs there than squirrels.

popped a nice fatty in the back yard yesterday. It's in the freezer now.

Not too many feral hogs in Wisconsin.....
    But some idiot from Texas imported and released 30 back in 2002 or there about....
    Happened about 10 miles for here.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/...sconsin--.html

They have been fighting in court for a while now.

Wow, they should call it a squirrel tournament, kind of like the bass thing you know

Found this today....for those with out a family recipe....

From what I can learn. this small WI town is near the Kickapoo River - do they have "Kickapoo Joy Juice" as in the old L'il Abner comic strips?

LOL...They have plenty of Kickapoo Joy Juice and is on the Kickapoo River......... as is "The Place" our cabin.

We like it there......

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    The loss of hardwood forests in much of the south (perhaps north as well?) due to pine plantings for paper mills has had a much bigger impact on squirrel populations than deer. This and the fact that squirrels in the true wild behave much differently than by a bird feeder or in most of suburbia make them far more difficult to hunt than most people would believe. Getting a bag of 10 in a day is not that easy. This is one of the best articles I have read. Depending on the terrain I would recommend a shotgun over a .22lr or .22wmr or .17hmr most kids would just destroy the meat with those, but anything to get a kid outdoors when it is not deer season or they filled their deer tags.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the...angerous-game/

There are some reasonably good WMA in East Texas that I will not mention on a public forum but the Sam Houston National Forest north of Houston, TX is terrible for squirrel hunting due to all the paper mill logging that ruined the hardwood, I have seen almost more feral hogs there than squirrels.
    I don't follow - lack of acorns? I am loaded with pine and grey squirrel, please enlighten.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907