Thread: Bungees, ratchet straps, and tie downs that UV rot.

Default Bungees, ratchet straps, and tie downs that UV rot.

Bungees, cloth covered runner bands....as much as I hate them for the speed they UV and rot....the breaking and snapping back an hitting you, or the "little too long, or a little too short "....are still the fastest and easiest to hold down things quickly.

The rubber truckers bungees are the best......the expensive version sold to trucker...but spendy...cheap versions will "weather check" in a year and almost take your head off when the break...all at once.

So, my question is....has anyone figured out a way for cover them like a wrap?....or another way to keep from UV'ing?

Used a couple of bicycle inner tubes cut to fit to cover the ratchet straps on the boat hold downs.....actually worked pretty well and have lasted for over 5 years.

Soooo, thinking out loud.....
    Got a few tubes from the bicycle shop....and I am going to try them on the bungees that I am using on a tarp on the fire wood trailer.

Would almost need to use them in the same position all the time....like needing to figure out how you are going to tie something down....stretch out the cords, then cut the tubes to fit.......????

Have used nylon rope on a boat cover, and rotted off in a year....and poly rope as well.....lasts a little longer.
    Gonna guess old fashioned white clothes line....that I have used forever....for many cordage uses.....was made to stay out in the sun...for years may still be the best bet...LOL

Have not used paracord for tie downs ...for long term....so don't know how it holds up?

Anyone else tried experiments on tie downs for long term????
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-14-2015 at 10:01 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I haven't tried this, but it might be worth looking into. http://www.amazon.com/Ray-Bloc-Fabri.../dp/B004RIQKWI
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hey thanks....might be worth a try.....for $15 bucks.....

Bungees are great for holding down tarps. Most people who use tarps learn quickly that using rope will end up tearing the grommet. On the other hand bungees get old. The solution I have found is to take a rope and weave it in and out of each grommet hole. Then take a pole and weave it in and out of the rope. In this way, the weight of the pole will place equal pressure on all of the grommets and the tarp will always remain taught. You must be careful that the poles, or weights, are low enough to not bang against the side of the trailer or boat or whatever. There are other ways of hanging a tarp in the woods using live trees for flexibility and an umbrella effect that works very well also, but it is a different subject.

Ah ha...that's a new one.......Thanks.....
    I can see where that would work on straight runs...like the wood pile.
    Hummmm

I my experience, rubber bungees give way due to rot but I don't think much of it has to do with UV because they have the cloth covering. I think it is the beast of rubber. Just like rubber bands get brittle and break just hanging around the home/office. UV has little to do with the natural tendency of rubber to simply dry out. I have wondered if there is an oil or lubricant that could be used to extend their life, but being how cheap harbor freight is I doubt that it would be worth it.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I believe it would work for most any shape since the ropes are free to move and the weight of the pole would eventually equal out to even pressure.
    However, if you are thinking about problems with the corners wearing out then that is true. Corners are the next problem areas with tarps wearing out too soon and you can pad them if you wish to. My tendency is to put a few young maple trees or other flexible trees under the tarp. In this way there are no corners or edges that wear out too quickly and they also form a peak or umbrella shape that lets the water run off so you don't have big chucks of ice or water to remove and possibly create futher damage. Since you've used tarps often enough I don't doubt you are thinking about the ice/water build up as well.
    It's true that lumber piles and sometimes firewood piles are what I usually use this for since lifting one or two poles to get at the wood is easier than fighting ice chunks and damaged tarps. But out camping it works equally as well. There is no reason to need to deal with the ice or water build up, the torn grommets or the holes in the tarp in the contact areas or corners.

The point of Harbor Freight bungees being cheap....picked up a 23 pk for $15.99 is valid.......
    The cheap traps last about a year.....and need to be "tented" up to keep pools of water and snow/ice from stretching the tarp and pulling out the grommet.

Have used the "tent" 2- 50 gal drums (empty) and a 2 X 6 as a tent for the boat cover.......and a cross bar on the wood pile tarp for the same reason.

My main concern was the bungees as mostly used as tie down on roof racks, keeping items from tipping over and sliding around in the truck.........and right now , hold downs on a trap on a trailer full of wood to keep dry.
    Every time I look for some, seems that several just kind "shread up and pop".....