Thread: Anybody have experience with a Harley Rake/Bobcat setup?

Default Anybody have experience with a Harley Rake/Bobcat setup?

I cleared a large portion of land recently and it had some large spruce trees and some hardwood mixed in. It's a pretty large area in total, and there's roots everywhere. Some can be picked up by hand (would take days just for that) and some are still attached in the ground to the rest of the buried root. I was thinking about renting a bobcat with a harley rake attachment but I've done some reading and some people say that the roots will just get tangled and I'll spend a lot of time manually untangling them. Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated! Thanks
    My Website www.survivaltips.co
    FB: www.facebook.com/survivaltipsblog
    Twitter: @SurvivalTipBlog

Just looking at a youtube video of that I don't think it will remove your roots. It wasn't removing them in the video I saw anyway. Didn't seem to take much to set it chattering either.
    The only rake I've actually used on a bobcat though is a tined thing to gather up rocks from the top few inches of soil. Had to drive it backwards. Scared the living daylights outta me once when it caught the ring of a septic tank lid cover that wasn't buried very deep at all.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

From what you are describing, a plain root rake might work better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZc5Be2Z7mI
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Root rake seems like the best plan....found this one,......... homemade but may give you and idea.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cg...ment&th=152952
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks for all the input guys, I spent the night looking into the grapple rakes and every other thing I could find.. another problem I could foresee was having to dispose of all the roots. I already have a massive brush pile I have to burn soon and a great stump pile going ( I have plans for that ) so I decided I'm going to have it professionally done. This way my yards as close to perfectly level that I can get it and clean, and I'll get my driveway done with some hard pack at the same time. Pics to come soon
    My Website www.survivaltips.co
    FB: www.facebook.com/survivaltipsblog
    Twitter: @SurvivalTipBlog

Good luck with the project.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel