Thread: read/unread flags, new posts

Default read/unread flags, new posts

I am a reasonably experienced php and mysql dev. Is there not something I could do to help the forum reliably show when posts are new and forums have new posts? I've had a couple views of vBulletin's codebase through the years.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

hello
    I'm looking for an alternative/replacement to MS Exchange for me and my customers. In this context I'm evaluating a testinstallation of Icewarp Server at the moment.

Regarding public folders I miss the possibility to have a per user read/unread status. That means, a message in a public folder shows only read to the users that have actually opened it. For the others it shows unread.

In the first moment I thought the "keep seen flag" does this job. But I had to learn that it has another purpose.

I'm not certain what kind of problem you are experiencing. I haven't seen a problem with not seeing new posts but my profile is different so you may be experiencing something I'm not seeing. At the risk of being too elementary, there are two ways to see new posts. If you click on the FORUM tab in the green box at the top of the page you will receive a listing of all the sub forums. If there is a camp fire to the left of the sub forum there are new posts in it. The second way is to click on the New Posts tab in the brown box at the top of the page. This will list out only the posts that are new since you last logged in. This is generally the method I use to view posts. I find it quick and easy.

If you are logged on without activity and have checked the Remember Box when you logged in then all the posts will be marked as read although I don't know how long the inactivity is before they are marked read. It's not all that long, however, maybe five minutes(?). If that happens, and it's happened to me a lot, then click on the Quick Links tab in the brown bar at the top of the page. You will receive a drop down box where you can select Today's Posts. That will, at least, provide you the most current posts. It becomes a bit awkward to read more than one. Your best bet is to back tab after reading and return to the day's posts. Otherwise, you have to go back to Quick Tabs then select Today's Posts again. The inactivity thing will get you and it will mark the posts read especially if you are typing out a longer post. Inactivity is not changing screens. Typing on the same page does not constitute activity. The software doesn't see you typing.

If you are experiencing some other problem then let me know what it is and we'll go from there.

@ Aniket - Why would you copy and paste that question here when it was posed and answered on another forum in May of this year? And it was copied and pasted since you brought over the same misspellings that were in that post.

http://forum.icewarp.com/forum/showt...ublic-Folders&

WOW....Some one has NO life at all....even plagiarizes tech questions........
    Are you a Droid?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Spammer from India. Was probably going to edit posts at a later date.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel