Thread: Bow trap

Default Bow trap

Built this from scraps around the garage would work for game / security in a SHTF. I drilled mounting holes so it can be mounted on a tree or ground. attach a trip line to the rear trigger release

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Last edited by Graf; 10-04-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    Semper Paratus

Rick or Crash needs to fix pic'........click ing on message takes you to your photobucket.

Cool idea....but I'll pass, probably shoot my dog.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Sorry, but I can't imagine setting something like that for any reason. The thought of a 6 year old getting impaled by it gives me the shivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sorry, but I can't imagine setting something like that for any reason. The thought of a 6 year old getting impaled by it gives me the shivers.
    Rick hopefuuly I'll never need it, but in a SHTF senario I'd rather have it than not, better to be prepared than not. Its pretty powerful, 10 yards away imbeded into plywood. As for children being hurt, when children are around these are put away, no children live with me.
    Semper Paratus

I wasn't thinking of your kids. I was thinking of a family walking along a trail or through a wooded area during a SHTF situation. That's a pretty indiscriminate weapon. Hopefully, you'll never need it.

Too dangerous looking and the arrow might fly off quite a distance, missing the prey and hitting something/someone else. During my war with the Commies, we call anything similar to this "booby traps".
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

That would be a great device for an EOW perimeter security.
    You got the response you did because despite the name of the tribe its not really a survivalist or prepper forum. If you talk about apocalyptic eow stuff then the mod will grief you.

So from an outdoorsman perspective, that device would be illegal in most states. Have you considered going the rest of the way and turn it into a mounted crossbow...or even a magazine fed xbow. Something you could fire fast on targets out to 80yds. Just that trigger u got on there now.

Well, we are in a Wilderness Survival Forum. I would still be against that even if we are at war, or post war as it might kill friendlies. Why do I say that? Unless it is fitted with a able to control firing mechanism (example is a Claymore), then it might kill friendlies or people who are passing the area to survive. Then, the frinedlies will turn on us as we have sort of attacked them and had taken a member.
    I would rather have a trap or a weapon that I can control when i wanna fire it.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I understand the responses and appreciate them, your opinions are yours and mine are mine,agree to disagree, however, in a SHTF scenario to protect my family you need to think out of the box and realize not everyone is innocent and me you no harm. I would only deploy this on my land along the home perimeter what I would consider a red zone and no one but family should be within those boundries.

DaddyOH my winter project,atleast one of them might be a homemade crossbow, recently figured out a trigger mechanism that had me stumped.
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyO
    If you talk about apocalyptic eow stuff then the mod will grief you.
    That's not true at all. There are a lot of folks on here that prep for EOW situations. Of course that definition will vary among members. We do not support anything illegal, which a booby trap is in every state. What members decide to prep for and how they go about it is their business. It's not our position to tell members what they should spend their resources on. I simply offered my opinion on the subject and it wasn't designed to chastise or denigrate what Graf had done.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyO
    its not really a survivalist or prepper forum.

Of course it is. It's about getting out of the wilderness and home in one piece. The main emphasis is how to respond should something go wrong while in the woods but we certainly cover SHT situations as well. That definition will also vary among members. There are not many threads that don't deal with that in some fashion whether it be gear, BOB, BOV, Get Home Bag, food storage, fist aid kits, off grid living, the best whatever or how to's.

I've heard of guys putting these on deer runs leading down to a creek. When the deer is walking down the run they are hit in the chest and when the hunter returns they just follow the blood trail. I've set one up just to see if it'll work. Mine wouldn't have power to take a deer. I'd have to use a stronger bow. Neat idea but like Rick said. I wouldn't leave it up cause someone following a deer trail may get the business end.

......There are just so many resons NOT to thry this.....that reasons TO do this.....

I don't know about y'all, but trailing a wounded deer or person or neighbors dog, does not appeal to me....at all.

Wounding or killing an "intruder" generally just pizzes off the rest of the raiders(if that was your goal....raiders are generally cowards, travel in groups) enough to go looking for you and getting even.

Lets just put this one out of your minds......Home Alone was just a movie.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You are right. If this was used in a SHTF situation I believe a firearm will be much more useful for protection. The chances of this killing a deer are slim and hitting a small target like a rabbit or squirrel will have to take more tweeking and putting up snares would be more practical. But nevertheless this is a pretty cool project

Outside of an EOW situation i could only ever see it being used if you were being pursued and needed to slow down the cartel that was chasing you...but even then youd need to go back and disarm it later or who knows what kid might stumble upon it.

I made one of these for S&Gs several years ago out of mostly natural materials(Disassembled as soon as I was done, didn't leave unattended). These things are wicked. Mine was only a somewhat limb tree branch and sharp stick and it still was scary. Can't imagine this more modern one.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

Use a gun, a claymore, maybe a GPMG like the m60 or those 50 calibres....

Banned

Default Common sense, mark it well on private property

Here in Texas (and other places) ranchers will sometimes use a small device on the ground that fires a single .22 round straight up with meat or hide as the bait on a wire for coyotes. However, these are usually done with permits, far from humans, and well marked with flash tape etc. So a bow and arrow device pointing straight down from a tree for varmints and well marked to avoid human injuries makes sense to me. Stray dogs chasing livestock on the ranch are always shot on sight anyway, heck we shoot dogs that don't belong regardless of what they are doing.

Practising trapping mechanics is a great thing. Putting the things out for real will always separate the intelligent from the retards, in times of peace.

tpc-m-camp-life-in-the-woods-and-the-tricks-of-img14.jpg

Hopefully the picture works. This is known as a Board bow trap, One of many poachers traps that I know that has a greater chance of hitting an animal opposed to a human if you're stuck on a bow.

The arrow is notched near the front and fed through the hole in the board then "pinched" into place with the bait stick, When the animal comes to feed off of it the bait stick is knocked loose and the arrow set free. With a set up like this you create or use an existing backrest to minimize the travel of the arrow.

As a very last resort I would think of kill trap for game as I'm fairly decent with my conibear bear traps, leg traps, and snares, Worse comes to worse I'd use a locking snare for a deer if need be but learn to use the natural resources available to you if you can and keep people and pets in mind because the recipient might not be so understanding.

I could go one step further and tell you how to build a various host of landmines and kill traps but I really don't think this is the place to do as such seeing as it's both illegal and immoral and it's not something I'd teach most people close to me let alone a fella I don't know on the net.

Honest opinion pick up the trappers bible (A decent book) and go from there.