Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .22 lr

Banned

Default A good deal is relative 10 cents per round compare to 20-50 cents?

In my experience Winchester .22lr and CCI Blazer are a little smokey (high carbon residue) but just fine if that is all you can find at any cost $10/100 is not bad. Consider that it is still half price or less than of .223 or 9mm, so a bargain for target practice. I practice for a long time at the range, with various including hundreds of rounds of .22lr, others come for short time period and refuse to shoot .22lr. Evidently they think it is just for kids. Whatever, practice is practice.

I prefer others in .22lr, 9mm and much larger like .45 etc.

ventura munitions almost always has a good selection of .22lr and others and will put you on email notification if you want something specific like CCI mini-mags

Armscor .22lr high velocity is fairly good IMO at $9/100 not terrible and shipping cost is reasonable.

http://www.venturamunitions.com/arms...mmo-50-rounds/

36 grain bullet weight goes further and drops less than 40 gr, but not much difference, slightly higher velocity for same amount of propellent typically.

Ideally you would buy at least 6 different types shoot groups of 5 of each at each distance at paper and see if you can tell any difference.

Thank you for the advice because of my location im pretty much stuck taking what i can find i cant have anything shipped to chicago local range only sells it if you use it there

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

I am trying to figure out if i can ship it to a po box or fed x facility

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Ideally you would buy at least 6 different types shoot groups of 5 of each at each distance at paper and see if you can tell any difference.
    The key word is Ideally.....
    Reminds me of the old Hagar the Horrible cartoon.
    Walks into a saloon...says to the bartender.....
    "Give me Beefeaters Martini, extra dry ...just pass the cork over the mixer,.... then stirred, not shaken, and a pearl onion."
    Bartender says, "All we have is Hooch"

Hagar, "That will work......."

Transfer to today....
    "Give me a box or CCI Ming mags"
    Guy says, "All we have is some cheap stuff, that goes bang...sometimes..."

"Yeah,.... what ever,..... how much can I buy?...."Wished I lived in Texas and was on first name basis with all the ammo guys....."
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Lol me to hunter cant wait to be able to move out of chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Mattkg View Post
    Lol me to hunter cant wait to be able to move out of chicago

Well, If you are in Chicago...you are about 1 hour south....
    But .22's are still in short supply...of any kind.....
    Last big batch I saw, was at Dicks off Hwy 50 west of Kenosha....several different brands......Bricks of Win. white box $35 bucks for 333 rounds, Remington Thunderbolts 550 rds....... so about the $10 cents a round, or a tad more....
    Walmart 0, Gander 0, local gun store 0 unless you buy a .22.....

Were down to only a couple of boxes in a day or so......went out for Plano ammo (like) boxes @ $5 bucks

So far cabelas has had 100 round packs every day i just keep ordering it and ill make one big pick up not ideal but the best i can do

Only bad thing is i dont have an option on the brand just take what they have

Actually there is a difference in what .22's are sold for....and I too questioned the...." Are these .22 round for a hand gun or rifle?"
    Doesn't have any thing to do with stupid clerks (mostly).....
    If you say "pistol" age is 21.
    If you say "rifle" age is 18.
    If you are 67 ...doesn't matter they still have to ask.....and the answer is ALWAYS "Rifle"
    >quote:
    Federal law in this area distinguishes between long guns (rifles and shotguns) and handguns, and between gun possession and gun sales. Federal law also distinguishes between licensed and unlicensed gun sellers.

Minimum Age for Gun Sales and Transfers:

Under federal law – Handguns Long Guns (Rifles and Shotguns)
    Licensed firearms dealers Dealers may not sell or deliver a handgun or ammunition for a handgun to any person the dealer has reasonable cause to believe is under age 21.
    Dealers may not sell or deliver a long gun, or ammunition for a long gun, to any person the dealer has reasonable cause to believe is under age 18.

Unlicensed persons:
    Unlicensed persons may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor has reasonable cause to believe is under age 18, with certain exceptions*.

Unlicensed persons may sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer a long gun or long gun ammunition to a person of any age.
    <quote

http://smartgunlaws.org/minimum-age-...tifier_71_5663

Blog Entries

Cool Also...

Ammo and firearms are not impossible to get in Chicago, just get real expensive. there are also other items like video game decks. Stores there were selling Nintendo 64 game decks and others like them for twice what they sold for here, so enterprising individuals bought them outside of chicago, brought them in and made a killing. A lot of it has to do with money....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Default Buy what you need online, shoot it up have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Mattkg View Post
    I am trying to figure out if i can ship it to a po box or fed x facility
    Most important thing is not to stock up a lot more than you plan to actually shoot in the next few months because the overall trend in price of .22lr appears to be going down some in recent months.

I don't know about the City of Chicago ordinance specifically but most Fedex and other P.O. boxes allow an FFL dealer to send ammo or firearms to an individual but I am fairly sure not individual to individual. (Only at gun shows, law enforcement there have no problem with me selling it in FW and other DFW locations, but Chicago may be very different.). I could be wrong about that but I have asked, that is what I was told. So call your local USPS and Fedex and they will tell you.

CCI mini-mags (several variations) are just a medium grade .22lr not the best, not the lowest or cheapest therefore it is popular. Propellent/gun powder burns fairly clean does not leave an excessive amount of carbon behind. However these are tiny rounds so even with the worst round it is not obvious that there is much smoke, unlike larger rounds such as white box Winchester 9mm or something much more substantial. If you buy competition grade .22lr ammo from Eley and others the cost can be 2-3 times as much and it is actually much easier to find online because the demand is much lower. Ammo that is cheaper than CCI mini-mags that also has lead not brass coated projectiles (bullets) such as Remington Thunderbolt which is more difficult to find in some places where people just don't shoot as many round at the range (street not included). So it appears to be market dynamics of supply and demand if the supply is low the price will go up due to high demand created by a perceived shortage.

I asked some local retail managers and distributers why this tiny ammo, that has been in limited supply for so many years, is more available in some areas than in others. Their answer was that the corporate office prefers to ship larger amounts to more rural areas where the customers are actually shooting it not hoarding it. I don't know if this is true or just an emotional response, but it does make sense to me. Totally anecdotal but I have sort of noticed that stores in semi rural areas tend to have more in stock more often. But this is not always true. Even if I am just going to buy a very common .270, 9mm, .45 etc. rounds I try to call head, even then most discount stores mostly carry the lower quality rounds of these, if I want better quality I must go to Cabela's or Gander Mtn (longer drive) so I call for sure! But I prefer to just mail order those to get the best price and exactly what I want for target/range practice or for hunting or personal defense. Biggest difference between Texas, Nevada and other parts of the country is that y'all must mail order more and spend less time getting to know the folks behind the gun counter, not really that big of a deal just keep on shooting and it will slowly change for the better in my personal opinion. I choose to see the glass half full and be positive. I read recently that there are gun ranges starting up all over Dallas and one having issues being too close to a school or something. People learning to shoot better is a good thing IMO, we should just try not to upset folks when we do it. One outdoor range (north of Dallas) years ago had stray rounds hitting resident's cars less than a mile away that is NOT GOOD!

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/08/31/i...d-near-school/
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-08-2015 at 07:45 AM. Reason: typos

Went to cabelas today the price did go down a bit and inventory was the best ive seen 1 box of federal 40 grain lrd 325 rounds was 22 bucks

In today's market, that is a decent price.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Agree....Dicks was like $35 bucks for the same.

Lgs wanted 40.00 bucks for it cant do it even though i would love to support a local business but thats just crazy maybe a few dollars more id be ok with

I had some time to kill so stopped by Gander Mtn. Lot's of ammo on the shelf except .22. About 10 boxes of target only.

Cabelas was pretty much out of everything as far as .22 lr ammo

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I thought everyone had declared the .22lr shortage over!!!

Come to the dark side. We have .357/38spl H&R barrels, cast lead .223 squib load barrels,

And cookies!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I thought everyone had declared the .22lr shortage over!!!

Come to the dark side. We have .357/38spl H&R barrels, cast lead .223 squib load barrels,

And cookies!
    LOL...That's only in Texas...IF you have a "guy".

Have the .38/.357 barrel and the .223 barrel...on a couple of H&R Handi's.......gonna bring the .223 porch gun home and have my "Guy" fit up the .308 barrel....so will give me a NATO platform....H&R didn't make a .338 Lapua I don't think......LOL

Didn't have any .22's at Walmart,.... Saturday.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Everyone needs a NATO platform, both .223 and 308! Surprised you do not already have one.

I have my SS barrel in .223 set up for just shooting cast bullets, but the one that has really replaced the .22lr is the .38/357 barrel.

I love that rifle set up with the .357 barrel. 150gn bullets at near 1000fps out of that long barrel for $0.04 cents per shot all day long, with cloverleaf accuracy and real knock down power out to 100 yards.

I do not even look for .22lr any more. Do not notice if they are there and do not ask for them. It was a lot easier to get off the .22s than kicking cigarettes and chasing women!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?