Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 lr

Default .22 lr

Cabelas has 100 packs of winchester 40 grain lrd for under 10 bucks best price ive found ordering 1 a day every day this past week only missed one day just thought some people would like to know.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

$8.99 per hundred plus $6 shipping is not a bargain for me.

Not all of us have a Cabelas around the corner for store pickup.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Try living in chicago i cant order and have it shipped to my house i drive 35 miles each way to pick it up and its still cheaper than buying it in illinois for me natchez arms has 500 rounds for under 30 bucks but i cant order it

Banned

Overall I have noticed that both .22lr and .22wmr are getting much easier to find locally and online. The political situation in places like Chicago probably will not change but only get worse over time however. Because. 22lr is highly available worldwide I read that more people are killed and injured by it than any other caliber, even with all the military conflicts using larger claibers.

Don't know if it is still true but read few years ago that convinced criminals in Chicago who get caught with a firearm receive no jail time. Seems to me that they are a bigger problem than varmint ammo.

Shipping is where most non-local bargains will get you.

Of course the last time I bought .22lr it was by the brick some $90 and the time before that it was, well, less than the current scrap value of it's component metals.
    Last edited by canid; 09-06-2015 at 01:24 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Cool Chicago...

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Overall I have noticed that both .22lr and .22wmr are getting much easier to find locally and online. The political situation in places like Chicago probably will not change but only get worse over time however. Because. 22lr is highly available worldwide I read that more people are killed and injured by it than any other caliber, even with all the military conflicts using larger claibers.

Don't know if it is still true but read few years ago that convinced criminals in Chicago who get caught with a firearm receive no jail time. Seems to me that they are a bigger problem than varmint ammo.
    I lived in Chicago at 13 years of age and can tell you that a gun, ANY type of gun, is/was considered the Holy Grail by the folks on the street. Especially the kids. Cap guns were shot off all of the time, rifles and pistols that could propel those old style bottle caps were made with wood and rubber bands. Potato guns were used also. As the kids got older they got more inventive, they would break off those car radio telescoping antennas and, using the bottom part as the barrel, make a gun out of wood, rubber bands, a nail, and a .22 round that would actually shoot...if it didn't blow up in their face first. The called them "zip" guns and they were very dangerous. I had one shoved in my face once! as far as no jail time for criminals with firearms, well, Chicago has the best police force that money can buy. Al Capone was a god to these people!....
    Last edited by Sarge47; 09-06-2015 at 03:34 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Actually that isn't a bad price........

We don't have a local Calebas Store...But we do have a Gander Mountain....actually the original store and mail order place was in Wilmont, WI......

But I have a slightly different problem....
    As both DW and I are retired.....a trip to Gander Mountain usually involves, Dear, I'm heading out to Gander to check on .22 ammo.....Then comes the "Oh cool, wait a minute, I'll come with you"......from DW.

We all know that this is not just a request, or you may pay dearly if you can't come up with a real valid sounding reason to say...."Not this time Dear.."

Then there is the... "minute".....actually more like at least 1/2 hour +/- of changing clothes, doing hair and make up...Minimum....Most guys know what I mean.

So, an hour later, Off we go.
    When arriving, she says "I'll be in the women's section........"

Off I go back to the Gun and ammo counter......

"Do you have any CCI mini mag 22's?".........Guy says "No, sold the last box of .22 anything, about 10 minutes ago....But the shipment is coming in tomorrow" (we all know what this means).

Head over to the women's section to collect DW....she is trying on stuff....for another 1/2 hour.

Finally head over to the check out with a pair of shoes $45 bucks, slacks $35 bucks, top, $20 bucks..........
    So that's $100 bucks.....and No .22lr....

We leave and she says, "As long as we are out here by the interstate, let's stop for lunch.....I don't feel like cooking"...another $20 bucks.
    Then she asks at lunch....Did you find any .22's?...
    "No, not till tomorrow".

"Oh so are you coming out again tomorrow?.....
    "No can't afford it"

So, $8.99 per hundred plus $6 shipping is kinda a bargain for me.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I stop by the local Gander Mountain once a week. They usually have some 22lr on the shelf (if you go on Tuesday morning). What they have is always a guess - sometimes CCI's, Federal or Remington - usually about .07 per round. There is just about always some "precision" 22lr available, but for more than I am willing to spend.

Some of the other gun stores have it - runs about .10 per round.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    ..............................Some of the other gun stores have it - runs about .10 per round.
    If you go by your self.........LOL

Banned

That was a funny story Hunter63. I like stories BTW even if Rick calls them Novellas.
    I generally call the guys I know at several local stores that sell ammo and ask if they have what I am looking for. Then ask wife if we need anything from a store she does not like (she hates Walmart). Tell her I'm going there, half truth...
    Friday I was finally about ready to waste $50 on BSA Sweet 22 scope for a Marlin 60 I rarely shoot (after months of reading reviews, I really want Nikon but silly for cheap gun). The salesman that works gun counter reconized me and said "yes that is a good choice bring it in I will sight it for you." Was crazy busy due to holiday weekend so I asked him what day next week he was working.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Psst.... There is a new one just opened in Cincy.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yea, but that's north of the River and every time I cross that bridge I can feel IQ points slipping away!

I can almost get to the one in Louisville as quickly from where I live, considering traffic and everything.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I usually pay about .10 per round.

Thats about the cheapest ive found it to

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrat
    that's north of the River and every time I cross that bridge I can feel IQ points slipping away!

Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are.

Banned

Default Chicago Gun Laws and ammo availability

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I lived in Chicago at 13 years of age and can tell you that a gun, ANY type of gun, is/was considered the Holy Grail by the folks on the street. Especially the kids. Cap guns were shot off all of the time, rifles and pistols that could propel those old style bottle caps were made with wood and rubber bands. Potato guns were used also. As the kids got older they got more inventive, they would break off those car radio telescoping antennas and, using the bottom part as the barrel, make a gun out of wood, rubber bands, a nail, and a .22 round that would actually shoot...if it didn't blow up in their face first. The called them "zip" guns and they were very dangerous. I had one shoved in my face once! as far as no jail time for criminals with firearms, well, Chicago has the best police force that money can buy. Al Capone was a god to these people!....
    Just my personal opinion, but in the Chicago area, Cook County, it seems that .22lr availability is not a major problem resulting in crime, most young criminals today have never heard of a zip gun and would not want one.

Over 13,000 gun violation cases many of them illegal possession by a felon from January 2006 through August 2013 were thrown out in Cook County’s criminal courts. Attempts to charge and convict criminals of this illegal possession of a firearm have been rejected partly because the county does not want to pay for it. That may be the real problem of violence in Chicago. This is just my opinion.

http://chicagoreporter.com/thousands...iminal-courts/

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ond-conviction

BTW CCI ammo is about 10% cheaper and much more available at Walmarts in most parts of Texas than in Idaho where it is manufactured and in all the other states where I have priced it. I’m not sure why. Perhaps because there is a lot of privately owned ranch land in Texas where people can shoot a lot of ammo of all calibers and they do, but it is more expensive to shoot it at public ranges elsewhere so less is sold elsewhere. Or it may also be the more restrictive laws in other states. I just don’t know.

Often I walk into a local Walmart here in North Texas (shopping for something else) and there are over a dozen 100 count boxes of CCI mini-mag .22lr for $6.77 and no one in line and I must go over to automotive or electronics just to find a salesperson to sell me some.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 09-07-2015 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Removed trolling portion of post

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Just my personal opinion, but in the Chicago area, Cook County, it seems that .22lr availability is not a major problem resulting in crime, most young criminals today have never heard of a zip gun and would not want one.

Over 13,000 gun violation cases many of them illegal possession by a felon from January 2006 through August 2013 were thrown out in Cook County’s criminal courts. Attempts to charge and convict criminals of this illegal possession of a firearm have been rejected partly because the county does not want to pay for it. That may be the real problem of violence in Chicago. This is just my opinion.

http://chicagoreporter.com/thousands...iminal-courts/

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ond-conviction

BTW CCI ammo is about 10% cheaper and much more available at Walmarts in most parts of Texas than in Idaho where it is manufactured and in all the other states where I have priced it. I’m not sure why. Perhaps because there is a lot of privately owned ranch land in Texas where people can shoot a lot of ammo of all calibers and they do, but it is more expensive to shoot it at public ranges elsewhere so less is sold elsewhere. Or it may also be the more restrictive laws in other states. I just don’t know.

Often I walk into a local Walmart here in North Texas (shopping for something else) and there are over a dozen 100 count boxes of CCI mini-mag .22lr for $6.77 and no one in line and I must go over to automotive or electronics just to find a salesperson to sell me some.
    There are more illegal guns per square foot in Chicago than anywhere else in the country. Not just .22s. I HAVE lived there and do know the mentality. Quite different than the sticks. I couldn't wait to move out of there....
    Last edited by crashdive123; 09-07-2015 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Removed personal attack from TxYaker
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool And...

As far as zip guns go>>>
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improvised_firearm

Ya gotta remember that this is about the only way a teenager bent on crime could get a firearm. And the only idea of shooting at a varmint in Chicago would be the polish kids shooting at the Puerto Ricans. I was glad to get out of there.....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Default High crime not a GOOD reason to restrict .22lr IMO

I am well aware of "zip guns" and similar and read about them when I was a kid back in the 1970's. I will not admit to making any and certainly did not fire any by hand if I did. Only a desperate fool would do THAT!!! The operative word in my comment above was "TODAY!!!".

TODAY young criminally minded people can acquire firearms of much greater firepower than a .22lr so why would anyone but a down and out almost dead heroin addict want one. If they cannot drive a relatively short distance out of Chicago and/or to a nearby state to buy a much better firearm then one can be purchased with the appropriate ammo from the back of a vehicle near them. This was my point of saying that regulations to prohibit the sale of .22lr ammo there just seems illogical to me. But I do not CURRENTLY live there so I lack perspective.

According to the numbers crime has recently gone up well over 20% in the city of Dallas. Not sure if it just because of the way they are recording crime or because what goes way down will sooner or later come back up. Anyway .22lr is not as easy to buy there as in small towns and suburbs outside of Dallas but I don't think that is related. The ability of citizens of Dallas to defend themselves with 9mm up to .45 or better like 12 gauge or even 20 gauge may be a better indicator. But more importantly a deterioration of relations between the residents and the local police, and many other factors probably play a more significant roll in the rise in crime and homicide NOT .22lr ammo availability! Varmints are NOT killing that many people.

Disturbingly many of the barely 21 year olds that have sold me .22lr at discount stores asked me if it was a handgun or rifle round... OMG and they are qualified to sell this?... Then I tried to explain it to them in a way that would not confuse them...

Bottom line, not legal for me to ship it to OP but I would at my cost if I could. (I am not FFL dealer)

BTW Rem Golden bullets typically cost me about $22 - 25 per 525, CCI mini-mag under $7/100 occasionally I can get a 1400 ct bucket for $65 but must add 8.25% sales tax. Not sure about shipping but guess is that it is at least $9/pound (Under $13 for 2 lbs Dallas area to suburb of Chicago, Fedex ground 2-3 days). Biggest problem is it not legal, so an FFL dealer/friend would need to do it, so that is a minimum of $10 extra. Also I just wait until I find a good deal, often even Rem GB are as high as 10 cent per round and I DO NOT buy at that! CCI Stingers etc are obviously higher. I have well over 20 different types of just .22lr lost count of types and total rounds, if wife saw my stash of all the ammo I have she would divorce me.... must keep it sealed away! And shoot often, say I am working late! ha ha ha
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-07-2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Removed troll comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mattkg View Post
    Cabelas has 100 packs of winchester 40 grain lrd for under 10 bucks best price ive found ordering 1 a day every day this past week only missed one day just thought some people would like to know.

Bet you are kinda sorry you brought it up, LOL........Yeah I know, just trying to be helpful.
    Thanks for the heads up anyway.......