Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: We Got Bad News and Need Your Prayers.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Just saw this this thread, Rick. my prayers are with you and your wife. I just went through a similar health crisis and when I was Deeply Deprerssed, God answered my prayer with a good prognosis. Hold tight to your faith, Rick. Many here are praying for you both.

I'm an oncology nurse and let me just say my heart truly goes out to you and your wife. You have a long journey ahead and she will need your strength to carry her through. Prayers.

Sent from my LG-H443 using Tapatalk

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    My wife had surgery Wednesday and the news is not good. They were able to remove about 90% of the tumor. We have to wait on the pathology report on the tumor but the surgeon is sure it's a glioblastoma. That's a highly invasive form of cancer and there is no cure. We spoke with the radiation oncologist yesterday and she'll begin radiation five days a week for six weeks beginning in about two weeks. They have to wait until she's healed from the surgery. We are seeing the chemo oncologist this morning. Average life expectancy is 14.6 months. At some point they will have to stop treatment because you can only take so much chemo and radiation. At that point the tumors always return. Everyone is different. We know one person with the same diagnosis that has lived close to 5 years. So we're taking it one day at a time and hoping for the best.

Thank you all for your well wishes and your prayers. You don't know how much it is appreciated.
    Rick, did you get the pathology report yet? My continued thoughts and prayers.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I'm sorry the news isn't better Rick. Still, so long as we live there is always hope. Sometimes hope is the best medicine we have. I will keep you and your wife in my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by 1sttimestar
    did you get the pathology report yet?

We have not received the "official" report back yet. My guess is it will be later this week. The surgeon said they normally have it in one week to 10 days so that would be tomorrow (Wednesday) or later.

I am not one to sit on my laurels and just accept whatever life offers me. I've been busy researching this blasted disease and reading tons of clinical studies to see what might be best for her. Both the radio oncologist and chemo oncologist will get to answer tons of questions and the list keeps growing. We see both of them next week. While treatable, glios are not curable and they are terminal. The caveat is how much time you can buy. The average life span is 14.6 months but we know a lot of folks that are close to or beyond their five year date and a couple that have exceeded fifteen years. So our fingers are crossed. There are some brand new treatment options available that are recently FDA approved. In fact, I emailed one of the manufacturers just before logging on to the forum.

I know a lot of you have dealt with cancer in your immediate life. Either yourself, spouse or child. It's amazing how totally the disease can consume your life if you let it. You have to keep reminding yourself to maintain a reasonable balance and not make your life all about the disease. It's hard to do, though, especially at this stage.

You guy and gals don't know how much you wishes and prayers mean. It has really been a shot in the arm to receive all your good wishes either by post or pm. It's genuinely appreciated. Thank you!

So saddened to hear this. You, your wife and the entire family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You're right, Rick. And I've always impressed with how much attitude factors into survival. Of course, keeping up moral is often a huge order.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

If you need to let it consume you for a bit, go right ahead. Really, if I had the opportunity with my husband, I would have been spending all my time not with him, doing all the research I could. I have a friend whose mom was cured with THC oil. I don't know the details but you might look into it.

We're mainstream medicine kind of folk but I'm not leaving any tool in the toolbox with this. Just between you, me and the gatepost it's on the list of questions for both the radio oncologist and chemo oncologist. Cannabanoid studies have shown some interesting results.

We're mainstream medicine kind of folk but I'm not leaving any tool in the toolbox with this. Just between you, me and the gatepost it's on the list of questions for both the radio oncologist and chemo oncologist. Cannabanoid studies have shown some interesting results.
    Good. Explore every avenue.
    Last edited by 1stimestar; 10-02-2015 at 02:16 AM.

My prayers for your wife and you and your family. Every day new ideas come about for cancer so explore but take time to rejoice in each day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry to hear the bad news of what it turned out to be. Rick, you are just going have to keep a good outlook on things. There are so many new meds and things out that you two could try. I had personal experience with I think that same thing back in 1962. I have been trying to remember the exact name and can't. A sure thing that I'm getting old.

Prayers and best wishes to both of you.

Bill
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

Prayers sent
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

The caveat is how much time you can buy. The average life span is 14.6 months but we know a lot of folks that are close to or beyond their five year date and a couple that have exceeded fifteen years. So our fingers are crossed. There are some brand new treatment options available that are recently FDA approved. In fact, I emailed one of the manufacturers just before logging on to the forum.

I know a lot of you have dealt with cancer in your immediate life. Either yourself, spouse or child. It's amazing how totally the disease can consume your life if you let it. You have to keep reminding yourself to maintain a reasonable balance and not make your life all about the disease. It's hard to do, though, especially at this stage.
    That is a wise view! I hope it doesn't come across as empty platitudes but so often we obsess over the quantity of life at the expense of quality. When my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer he had half a lung removed. The surgery apparently got it all and it never returned, but he had decided even before the results were in that he wasn't going to do chemo. In his view he'd already had a good life, and more years than he'd expected. He decided to enjoy what he had instead of destroying his health with chemo for the hope of a bit more time. That's a hard calculus for anyone, especially someone staring down the barrel of a life threatening illness. But in a sense we all face it, every day. Every choice we make should be informed by a knowledge of how fragile and fleeting our lives our. The love of family and friends is far more durable than the shell we inhabit while we're on this Earth.

I choose to hope so long as there's any chance at all. But obviously, one has to acknowledge the odds and plan for any eventuality. I certainly hope that it turns out to not be as bad as is feared. Barring that, hopefully present treatments can buy enough time for a better option to come along.

sorry to hear my prayers to you and your wife
    we,ve been there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    I hope it doesn't come across as empty platitudes

Not at all. My father made the same choice with lung cancer. His outcome was not as good unfortunately but the decision was his to make.

My wife lost her battle this afternoon. She passed away around 3:00 p.m. I don't know the exact cause of death but it was probably heart related. She was my best friend for 45 years. We were married 41. I already miss her terribly. If you want to do something for me then make a contribution to Make a Wish, your local library or plant a tree in her memory.

I know I'll get through this. Everyone does. I have tried to prepare myself. It was a terminal illness but it happened much sooner than anyone expected. I'm just truly, truly thankful for the time we had together.

I miss you, kid. I'll see you on the other side.

Rick this is truly a sad surprise, and can't tell you how bad we feel for you and your family.
    And as you say....much sooner than expected.

Please except our thoughts and prayers.............
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I am sorry Rick..

Prayers. Very very sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk