Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical update.

Blog Entries

Cool Medical update.

Well fellow wolves, Looks like old Sarge is really getting old. Seems like I have several medical problems that I've been dealing with. I have a blood clot in my right leg which keeps me from walking, kidney stones, a bladder infection, and quite possibly lymph node cancer. I can't work and have no insurance except Medicare part A only. So I'm going to a hospital & clinic about 75 miles away that deals with charity cases. This coming Tuesday I'm going back for another Cat Scan as well as a pet scan in preparation for surgery on the 16th where one doctor will bust some stones and a 2nd one will do a biopsy on a large lump I recently developed to determine if I have cancer or not. Finances are drying up so I'm trying to find groups that will help. I'll keep you all in the loop as things progress. This a whole new type of survival. For those you who pray please keep me in your prayers, thanks.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Dang Sarg, sorry to hear about that. Start a gofundme account and let people help with what they can. Good luck. You'll be in my prayers.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Blog Entries

Cool Details?

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Dang Sarg, sorry to hear about that. Start a gofundme account and let people help with what they can. Good luck. You'll be in my prayers.
    What's a "gofundme" account?...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

That's terrible Sarge.

Prayers sent.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    What's a "gofundme" account?...
    It's an online fundraiser site. Sign up, put your situation out there, send the link out to who ever you want and they can send money to it which you can access. People use it for all sorts of things. I certainly wish it had been around when I needed it 4 years ago.

http://www.gofundme.com/
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Prayers for you Sarge.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Prayers sent Sarge.

Sarge, prayers sent...hang in there.
    Getting old IS a survival scenario.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have a friend who is my age (sorta old) who has an older veteran friend. His friend told him that his buddies would occasionally get together for an organ recital.

As for me, at 62 I have a life long hobby - I collect aches and pains. See, I've had a very active life composed of falling off mountains, falling off scaffolds, the congenitally fuse sacrolumbar joint which occasionally likes to kick me in the chest like a mule, autoimmune problems inherent in my Neanderthal heritage, dropping acetylene bottles on my foot, heart problems, etc, etc.

I certainly both empathize and sympathize with you, Sarge. It ain't easy being an old wolf......but then, there are a few benefits.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Sarge.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

God Bless you Sarge.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    I have a friend who is my age (sorta old) who has an older veteran friend. His friend told him that his buddies would occasionally get together for an organ recital.

As for me, at 62 I have a life long hobby - I collect aches and pains. See, I've had a very active life composed of falling off mountains, falling off scaffolds, the congenitally fuse sacrolumbar joint which occasionally likes to kick me in the chest like a mule, autoimmune problems inherent in my Neanderthal heritage, dropping acetylene bottles on my foot, heart problems, etc, etc.

I certainly both empathize and sympathize with you, Sarge. It ain't easy being an old wolf......but then, there are a few benefits.
    I seen a dude drop an oxygen bottle into the rack from the top. It was an angle iron rack on the bed of the truck and he put his toes on the bottom angle iron rack and dropped the bottle in. One of the big bottles like 5' tall.

I had to drive that guy to a hospital about 30 some miles away. He was less than comfortable.

I am not the praying kind. But, I'll keep you in my thoughts Sarge. Getting old may suck. But, it beats the alternatives.

Praying Sarge. Stay strong and please do keep us in the loop.

Sarge, I'm new here so you don't know me, but after spending so much time reading posts here, I feel like I know you.

Times like these, we find out what we are made of...and more keenly, the One who made us. I am praying for your strength, and peace too.
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

Hang in there, Sarge. I hope the cancer stuff is negative. Eff cancer! BTW, you should set up the Go fund me page, it's a good site! I've participated in some fund drives through the site.

I am truly sorry to hear that. You've got a lot on your shoulders. I second the gofundme suggestion. You CAN raise money that way. You also have some advocates in Illinois that might be able to help. Good luck and keep us informed.

http://health.illinois.gov/seniors.html

Not all of these will apply but some, like the prescription benefits, might help.

https://www.agingcare.com/Articles/f...ers-156443.htm

https://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=29722

Blog Entries

Crikey, Sarge! Keeping you in my thoughts.

It's at times like these, I thank my stars for the NHS. Doesn't Obamacare cover this sort of thing?
    Last edited by Winnie; 09-03-2015 at 10:50 AM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Obamacare is only the forced purchase of private insurance and applies only to those under 65 years of age. It is not free medical care, never was.

At 65 we go under a government program called Medicare which Is an 80/20 coverage and no meds covered.

One can purchase a "supplemental plan" that picks up most of the parts Medicare does not but the cost is about $100 per month and that can be a big chunk out of a small pension.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Cool Update.

I now have an account with gofundme. When I turned 65 I only took the Medicare part A...couldn't afford the "B", even at $100 per month. A short while back I applied for medicaid, however, here in Ill. you can't get on it without the "B." To get B open enrollment is in January and February, and does not become active until mid July. To rub more salt in the wounds I would also receive a penalty of 10% per year, for each year missed, which makes it an additional 40%, ergo $140 per month. thanks to Kyrat for his post on Obamacare...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I pray and so do my friends. You have people in FL sending them up. And about our new healthcare system... nevermind. I'm probably on the same page with you.