Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retreaters, Preppers, Survivalists, Escapists ....

Arkansas. Why yes, the land where money lines the bottom of rivers. We were canoeing the Buffalo River in Arkansas, almost due south of Mountain Home. We stopped on a small gravel bar. My wife reached into the water and pulled out a $1 dollar bill. You can't beat a state like that in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    17 acres and you need 4 wheel drive to get there.
    http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/a...psc7d8a991.jpg
    Aahhh...Ooohh...now that's more my cup of tea right thar...my heart skipped a beat...and I salivate...
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

You...uh....you might want to see a doctor about that. We're tolerant of a lot of things but drool on the forum machinery is NOT appreciated.

I've only got one problem ....... a couple of million.

http://www.oceanhomesnovascotia.com/...dy-nova-scotia

Yeah, It's 1604.1 miles for me....

So, I plugged in my address, for driving directions......
    Didn't say how you drive to the island?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I got good news and bad news. The good news is you don't need a fence. The bad news is night time walks are greatly discouraged.

You can buy whole villages in Spain for less than $250,000
    Here's one with 100 acres and 6 houses.
    http://www.npr.org/sections/parallel...re-going-cheap
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

That's actually pretty cool.....and I heard of towns in the U.S. for sale as well.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2015/03...d-hunger-games
    But,
    I'm good.....Enough work keeping up with "The Place"
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-31-2015 at 09:55 PM.

I'll take the PBY's and love every minute. Being a pilot and a fisherman helps. Imagine dropping in at Lakes like Alaska, and dropping a line and fishing while staying in the Catalina. That'd be heaven, you guys keep your land, and I'll keep the old catalina. ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    ...I'd get a 70 foot flying boat and convert it into an R.V. and it'd be my permanent home, and I'd hop around to all the wild places in the world and camp/hike/etc a couple weeks or a month in each place.

I'd love to be able to get my hands on two of these old birds:

http://www.planespotters.net/Aviatio...show?id=149799

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/pho...y-5a-catalina/
    Quote Originally Posted by scumbucket View Post
    I'll take the PBY's and love every minute. Being a pilot and a fisherman helps. Imagine dropping in at Lakes like Alaska, and dropping a line and fishing while staying in the Catalina. That'd be heaven, you guys keep your land, and I'll keep the old catalina. ha ha ha
    Oh, I got it all figured out already (including of course learning all of the stuff that I'm ignorant or inexperienced about if it ever really happened). I won't be caught unprepared when I win that big powerball.

Example - I'll custom design and build a floating deck which disassembles into sections for packing into the planes. Will have capability for a kind of fire-pit in the middle, and lawn chairs around. Also a couple custom mini-boat/canoes which load for travel.

The whole idea is to go to those wild places. Airports are in cities. Bodies of water can be found in wild places. And you can take a smallish flying boat to anywhere there is a body of water (after surmising the possibility of things under the surface which might damage the hull/fuselage, and researching the weather beforehand).

I said planes, plural, because I'll have 2 or 3 (remember, I'm magically a millionaire. Actually, operating costs are more important than initial investments.) Because I'd practice the not-all-eggs-in-one-basket approach in many respects. I'd hate for something unexpected to happen...which will definitely happen...and we're done-for because we have only the one plane with everything in that plane. Also don't want anything big and awkward to find places to land and maneuver. Not some bitty 4-seat thing, but not a 100-foot-plus beast either. More like in my links above. Each converted R.V. style, and for accommodating 2 people each plus pilot. This allows elbow room and enjoyment for everyone during travel, space for equipment, yet I get a good collection of skill-sets accumulated...3 boats would make 9 people who know this-and-that. And these kinds of flying boats...not float plane, but flying boat...have a range of over 2,000 miles, so I could constantly hop from one awesome wild place to another.

All kinds of technical and strategic details which I'll not blabber on about here...but anyway, this gives me the whole planet as my backyard and my home. All of those wonderful wildernesses to live in perpetually, a few weeks at a time.

- William Arthur Ward

I don't recall them being yellow.......well unless I consumed too much torpedo juice.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

No. Not gonna paint them yellow. Nope. Huh-uh.

- William Arthur Ward

can't get the link to open, But there are tons of acres of secluded land in NW Arkansas...For 500 k, I would get myself something way of the beaten path and build to suit myself.
    infoarmory.com Discover-Study-Master