Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retreaters, Preppers, Survivalists, Escapists ....

Default Retreaters, Preppers, Survivalists, Escapists ....

Here is the perfect place. Secluded in a very rural north Arkansas community called "Bruno." It is an an old WPA/CCC constructed school house, gym, out buildings, etc., that have been turned into modern living and storage quarters. Situated in the Arkansas Ozarks about 30 miles south of the Missouri border. Acreage to grow crops in comparatively mild weather, or have a cow, goats, horses, chickens, etc. It has a stream for irrigation, woods in which there are Whitetail deer, a few Black bears, upland game and quail, and remote enough to experience that "Ahh, we've escaped the rat race" feeling.

Enjoy the slide show.

http://www.remaxunlimited.remaxarkan...33/HNR/133541/

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Well, at least the location sounds good. Ouachita Mts, Ozarks, and river valley in between...I know I'd love any of that whole area. And Winsconsin. And Tongass NF. And Olympic. And darn many others. Have seen the Ozarks (still trying to figure out those seed tick bombs!), not the Ouachitas though. But I won't be getting anything like this property unless I win the powerball jackpot or something. And if that happens, I'll probably scout for something less developed, a huge area all my own. Even that probably wouldn't happen though...I'd get a 70 foot flying boat and convert it into an R.V. and it'd be my permanent home, and I'd hop around to all the wild places in the world and camp/hike/etc a couple weeks or a month in each place.

I'd love to be able to get my hands on two of these old birds:

http://www.planespotters.net/Aviatio...show?id=149799

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/pho...y-5a-catalina/
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Seems a bit pricey for me.......$500 K.
    Got my own piece of heaven, so, no....not for me.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

It is out of my price range also but the price is cheap compared to my area.

500k will get you 3000 sq/ft on a half acre lot around here.

They are offering 20k sq/ft on 8 acres, septic system, well and already have 3 phase current for the workshop. That would go for over a million in my neighborhood.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

I spear fish and dive in Lake Ouachita, go up to Altus in the fall for Octoberfest, buffalo and mulberry in the spring and summer. I don't have many years left with the fire service and we are considering a move to the Ozarks in the next 8 years.
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

Nice looking place, but I wouldn't want it. I like my fixer upper.

Banned

You're moving from S.W. Idaho to Arkansas?

Well, It does look like a good spot and size.... for a group of "Like Minded People" to pool "Their Recourses" and buy it for me.....?

You guys don't want to even know prices in NYC.

My big thing with property is what are your intentions for it after yourself? If you pass this along to children will it be suitable for them to raise a family etc? Are you comfortable spending 500K that might not be a value to your heirs? The lawyer in me always cringes when I let the naturalist in me out to play.

I plan to pick up some land abutting one of the many state parks around my way. cheap enough and financial potential should I or my heirs care.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlastink View Post
    My big thing with property is what are your intentions for it after yourself? If you pass this along to children will it be suitable for them to raise a family etc? Are you comfortable spending 500K that might not be a value to your heirs? The lawyer in me always cringes when I let the naturalist in me out to play.
    My primary job from now till bucket day is timing it perfectly so the last penny goes with my last breath.

The kids are better off then I am!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Amen. I made mine, they can make theirs.

Besides, you want your kids to be sad when you go.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlastink View Post
    I am sure your heirs will be able to sell off something you bought for 500K, for more than that.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    My primary job from now till bucket day is timing it perfectly so the last penny goes with my last breath.

My plan is to be one shovel full of dirt,.. short(money wise).......and make them scramble......Just a little bit.
    Lawyer says I can't put that in the will.......

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    You're moving from S.W. Idaho to Arkansas?
    Who, me???

Nope, I like the Shining Mountains, but that area of the Arkansas Ozarks is a mighty pretty one.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

My days of being an ATM machine are over and I also told my kids that if there is anything left when I check out you can be sure that it's an accounting error.

Banned

One of my cousins has a nice place near Mountain Home, AR (north), her sister lives near Pocahontas, AR (North East) not quite as special. I am trying to convince my daughter to consider going to U of AR, in Fayetteville (North West), but she does not want to be labeled a Razorback hog the rest of her life understandably... Funny thing is that my cousin grew up in California then lived most of her life in Nevada. Only person in my family who ever went to U of AR was my nephew. My daughter can just get a great deal going there, and I like to kayak and hike in that area. Kayaking near Austin, TX is OK but not as good... Whatever just get some good degrees and then a job kid. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    "One of my cousins has a nice place near Mountain Home, AR (north), her sister lives near Pocahontas, AR (North East) not quite as special. I am trying to convince my daughter to consider going to U of AR, in Fayetteville (North West), but she does not want to be labeled a Razorback hog the rest of her life understandably..."
    The reason I posted that the property for sale was in a beautiful area (Bruno) is because I grew up in Mountain Home, about 25 miles away, so know the area really well. I graduated from Mountain Home High School and later graduated from the University of Arkansas.

" ... she does not want to be labeled a Razorback hog the rest of her life understandably ..."
    Doesn't want to be a Razorback??!! Why what nonsense. No finer prestige can be attached to a person than "being a Razorback." Whoooooo pig, soooooooie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've met people who graduated from Harvard, Yale, Rutgers, USC, etc., who have told me how they wished they could have graduated from the Univ. of Ark. and been a Razorback, rather than graduating from those musty, moldy old schools with nothing but stodgy, stuck-in-the-mud professors and snobby, citified, wimpy students.

Besides, if one knows where to look, one can still find a Mason fruit jar with some mighty fine 'shine out in those mountains surrounding Fayetteville, and also Mountain Home. I'm talking about the really good stuff, the kind where you don't have to strain it through your teeth.

S.M.

Reminds me of an old Joke.....

Bill Clinton was walking up to Air Force One....leading a pig.

Air Force security guard says, "That's a nice pig, Sir".
    Bill stopped,.... turned to the young guard, and says, "Son, this is no ordinary pig ....This is a genuine Arkansas Razor-Back....and I got him for Hilary"

Guard says, "......and a right fine trade you made,.... Sir"

17 acres and you need 4 wheel drive to get there.
    http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/a...psc7d8a991.jpg