Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exploring my New Property

Default Exploring my New Property

I took the family up and we spent several hours exploring our new property on Saturday, the kids got tired of course but I would have stayed longer, we didn't even see half of it.

So I bought 20 acres of mountaintop in Chattanooga. It covers two geologic formations, on one side it is a pretty thick soil layer and some sandstone on top of the limestone, with some rock outcroppings and other formations, on the other side its very thing soil and mostly limestone. The first side is all hardwood, oak and hickory and maple and beautiful. The second side changes to more soft woods, including some big old cedars.

It is really cool, in addition to the views I've got some very big trees. The biggest oaks are over 40" in diameter, I have probably 5 or 6 over 36". The biggest maple is approaching 40" and looks to have survived a fire at some point, some day I hope to tap it for syrup. There is also a big american persimmon, which was hard to find. I have a tree survey of the hardwood section but even still traipsing over 10 acres trying to find a specific tree among hundreds, but I think I did finally find it. All the trees are super tall though, being a forest stand, with the canopies 50+ feet in the air, I don't see how I'm harvesting any of this fruit, I did find some unripe drops on the ground so I'm pretty sure I found the right tree.

I plan to raise pigs in this forest, I'll need to build a paddock but then let them roam and eat all the acorns and hickory nuts. Just one or two a season.

There is a natural spring though the aquifer isn't strong right now. There is also a nice dry riverbed that only gets action in the rain, but its cool because it has all these rocks on it that have naturally collected, if I follow it all the way down it drains into the Tennessee River (not my property all the way to there though).

I did see one oak with a resurrection fern on it, something I've never seen before in the wild, which excited the gardening nerd in me.

I swear there must be ginseng around too, it is the perfect habitat for it, but I keep getting faked out by virginia creeper.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    dropped persimmons I collected
    one of the biggest trees, a huge oak, and check out that vine hanging off it
    Closeup of the resurrection fern
    resurrection fern on oak
    I'm not sure what this is. It isn't virginia creeper because it has petioles, but I don't think its ginseng because the serrations on the leave seem pretty large.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is virginia creeper, no petioles.
    View off the back half if you hike up to where they cut the power line access, a half mile trail to get up there, not bad.

That is awesome! Nice property. I am jealous.

Thanks for sharing...
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

The vine is almost certainly grape. They are a great source of clean water. But, my experience with really big vines and water is not good.

Still really good for smoking food.

Congratulations! Owning a piece of the woods is the best thing that ever happened to my family. I hope it is great for you and yours!

Really nice piece of land! Congrats on the acquisition. Looks like you got some work ahead of you, but should make for some good family time.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Congrats.....Great when a plan comes together.
    All the dreaming, looking, working, learning....now has a place to used.

You are going on another adventure......enjoy.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh gorgeous! Can't wait to hear and see more of it.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Congratulations, Chris. I know you've been working on this a while. I know you're glad to finally make it a reality and to make the move.

nice country
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I see the power line....I'm thinking "deer stands"....and a long shooter.....But that is just me.

We're a little further east in the summer. Great place to be. Congrats.

Wonderful pictures and congrats! We have that same 5 leaf plant/vine here in Central WI and it wraps around small trees and strangles them.

You are blessed to have found your place - we treasure our acreage and thank God each day that we can actually live here.
    Have fun!!!!
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

I have the vines as well.....looks funny in the fall....the leaves turn a blood red when the rest of the tree is still green.

Was told they were wild grapes...but I cut the vines when ever I can...like SG said, they strangle the trees.

You will be surprised how much the landscape changes for season to season....It just amazes me.

The thing that isn't virginia creeper looks like a small tree. Chinkapin oak maybe? Any others around?
    Congrats on the new property!
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Congratulations.

I really don't know if this is a persimmon or not, we didn't have them in Michigan and I'm only familiar with the asian fruit in the supermarket, which I know is different from the common american persimmon.

So the fallen fruit we collected split on our counter and these massive nuts/seeds came out. I put a pecan in for scale. Do American Persimmons produce seed like this?

is that a buckeye?

That what I thought and still think.....
    I carry one in my pocket everyday for arteritis.....(old folk remedy )