Thread: can you own a gun if your spouse was convicted of a crime

Default can you own a gun if your spouse was convicted of a crime

I was thinking of purchasing a gun, but my wife was convicted of a crime and sentenced to six months in jail. Does this now mean a gun cannot even be int the house? I was going to ask for more information but since I was here I thought I would ask here as well

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Check with the local officials, your mileage may vary.

First, was the conviction for a felony or a misdemeanor? One can have a misdemeanor conviction that is less than one year that has no affect on firearms ownership.

I have seen this discussed on several forums and the answer has been pretty consistent.

If you have the firearm in a safe/approved cabinet, and the spouse does not have the key/combination, the gun is secured from her access.

It is the same conditions used to prevent access by children.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-23-2015 at 10:19 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Pretty accurate for Florida law as well. But, don't play games as the law has had a lot more experience with folks trying to game the system.

I know several convicted felons that game the system. I once watched a convicted felon admit a gun was his. The crime he committed was armed robbery with a sawed off shotgun. I watched two cops find two guns in his room. One didn't have serial numbers because they were filed off. They let him go.

He was arrested a couple of months later for robbing same Dominoes and gas station repeatedly at knife point.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    If you have the firearm in a safe/approved cabinet, and the spouse does not have the key/combination, the gun is secured from her access.
    My former brother in law was a felon, so when he lived with us, I put a keypad lock on the closet; any firearm not actually under my direct control at the moment was locked in that closet. Per my attorney, as long as he had to break something to get to one, it would be on him if he did, and not my fault. Laws vary by jurisdiction, though, so check with an attorney in your area if you're concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
    I was thinking of purchasing a gun, but my wife was convicted of a crime and sentenced to six months in jail. Does this now mean a gun cannot even be int the house? I was going to ask for more information but since I was here I thought I would ask here as well

I agree with the above posts and you are describing a "white collar crime." However there are other circumstances that you may not have shared. Why not reach out to the attorney that represented your wife. And above all just like your "First" car - get a safety course and the instructor at the range. Practice Practice Practice.

It just makes sense to me.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Things can vary a little state by state so I will give you the answer on a federal level. Check your state and local laws to make sure there aren't any further restrictions.

You can own the firearm without issue. However, if she was convicted of any felony or convicted of any misdemeanor that is domestic violence or equivalent then she cannot have access to the firearm. Locking it up is sufficient if she doesn't have the key/combo.

I know you stated in the other thread that it was a crime related to finances. That being the case and it is a felony conviction, she can apply to your state governor and have her gun rights restored. The process and feasibility of that also varies by state.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    One can have a misdemeanor conviction that is less than one year that has no affect on firearms ownership.
    Unless it is a conviction of domestic violence or equivalent. Regardless of the sentence this charge bars one from possession of a firearm.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Since you posted this same question, word for word, on at least three other forums my guess is you are simply trolling. I've got my eye on you.

there are other forums?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Not forum forums but forums. Ya know? There's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
    That depends on State Law. Here in PA, non-violent Felons may possess a firearm but it also depends on the Felony charge itself. Obviously, violent offenders charged with misdemeanors or felonies may not have firearms at all.

You will need to check with your local Sheriff or State Police to get the correct answer for you.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Get rid of her and keep your guns

I'm thinking "drive by"...........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This is one of those threads that needs to be closed.

The OP was a two shot wonder, made two posts, both of them controversial, and never returned.

He made the same post with exactly the same words on every forum that was remotely firearms related all over the internet, and this was a repeat performance, since he had made the same exact post almost 2 years ago.

I do not know if he was just a troll, or some anti-gun group on a fishing expedition seeking information they can use against us.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-10-2015 at 03:58 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Good idea. Closed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh, come on. This is fun.

If you spouse is a convicted felon because she killed you then yes, you can keep firearms. However, your use of them will be limited.