Thread: Single-Pull Paracord Wrap?

Default Single-Pull Paracord Wrap?

Hi

I'm making this hiking staff and want to incorporate a paracord wrap handle I saw on this website. It's wrapped around the staff but has a tab on the end and when you pull it, it all falls apart and is accessible. Only problem is I can't figure out what it's called or how to do it. If any of you guys can link a tutorial, that'd be much appreciated. Here's a picture Flare Staff handle.PNG

Thanks in advance,
    WolfSage

Look up chain knot

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If it went on something like a staff it was probably a whipping.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

A whipping wouldn't come off. Whippings are made to stay. I don't know what was used on the staff but a chain sinnet, as JB indicated, can be removed quickly just by tugging on it.

I have made made modified whippings (without it being around something) that come undone by a tugging.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Here is a very easy method that works well. It is MUCH easier if you use a constrictor knot (or rubber band) at the beginning instead of your thumb to hold the first bit in place. Tony
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aprLqv2GqQ
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

Banned

Experiment with several modifications but most people find that the simpler the better most 550 paracord is fairly slick and comes off easily so not a problem compared to natural fibers. Key is to leave a long enough tag end to pull on and only one layer of wraps or it will not stay on very well. You could also add a touch of a hot glue gun or something like that if you are having issues with slick wood or rope or sweat from hands etc or adding a tube with ferrocieum rod under cord or whatever. Animated Knots is easier to follow for me than most You Tube videos I think Animated Knots has a phone app but I don't see the advantage of that, just Google them.

http://www.animatedknots.com/commonwhipping/

Many variations of whipping knot at this website and other places. Sand wood of stick with very rough paper or cut cross hatches if rope is sliding.

BTW reminds me I bought some reflective 550 paracord to add to the shafts of my kayak paddles, I need to do that. Helps to find paddle in low light and obviously for emergency use.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 08-20-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Many other things to add cord to

That sure looks like a type of whip to me. Another learning day! You da man, RX. Thanks asemery!

I told him the same on another board after I figured which part we were talking about.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Banned

Default Whipping 550 Cord on paddle

I added 15 feet of 550 paracord (7 strand) with reflective ribbon, to the aluminum shaft of a cheap kayak paddle with a very simple common whipping then paddled for about 2 hours with it this morning. It held well but is reasonably easy to remove. Instead of cutting the ends off short like a person normally would to make it attractive and not get snagged I made 3 over hand knots. It is very ugly but I can undo them and then tug and remove the cordage fairly easily. I used asemery's idea of rubber bands to hold the cord in place this helps because aluminum is very slick, then I cut off the r-bands. Took some photos of the whipping knots in what little sun I had, it has been cloudy with trace of rain for first time in over 40 days. Sun reflects of ribbon strips in cord. This can help if paddle is lost in rapids and sinks down into roots of a tree or rocks. It has happened to other people and they used my spare paddle.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

BTW: collected some very young seed of reeds that are not very good tinder, even when a bird has landed on them broken one off half way and it has dried off for a week or more. (Common Reed,
    Phragmites australis?) All the mature cat-tails that work well for fire starting tinder are long gone this time of year.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 08-22-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: reeds?