Thread: Tips, Tricks, and Preferences for setting Conibear traps?

Default Tips, Tricks, and Preferences for setting Conibear traps?

I have seen the trap setters, and I have seen people use a rope to set the trap easily.

What are your preferences, tips or tricks for setting conibears??
    ----NSFH

Proverbs 28:4-5 KJV
    4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked: but such as keep the law contend with them.
    5 Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the Lord understand all things.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Conibears are scary to me. Just make sure you know and PRACTICE how to release them!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I set the 110s, 220s and 330s by hand. The larger 220s and 330s be sure to keep the spring locks engaged until after the trap is properly supported and set in place. It is more convenient to use setting tongs. I have a set I made from flatbar but many times I set them by hand.

generally I use 110s for muskrat and mink, 220s for raccoon, groundhog, and possum, 330s for beaver and otter.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I did a write up on my blog about the rope technique for setting a coni type trap. That is a far easier and safer method to set one, and if you are packing in you don't need a trap tong in your basket weighing a couple extra pounds.

Tongs will break your fingers, slip off the springs and generally ruin your day. The rope technique and proper trap prep before going off the pavement is the trick to being succesfull
    Owner and writer of quietsurvivalist.com