Thread: Texas creek bank stuff

Default Texas creek bank stuff

I know there's some duckweed and a few palmettos in this particular ditch, but there's a lot of stuff along the edge of it that I've probably cut tens of thousands of without knowing any name other than "weed." If there's any survival use at all for these, it would be handy to know as they're certainly plentiful in flood plains and along old irrigation ditches.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Banned

Best to email photos to your local agricultural or horticulture extension agent for posititive ID. Texas Agrilife I think is "new" name or a hot line for your county. I thought the 3 lobed leaves were a sub-species of ragweed but am probably wrong about that. Also thought yellow blooming one was related to dandelion or possibly false thistle but am fairly sure I am wrong about that if it has a large carrot tap root it could be mildly or very toxic so be very careful and get a positive ID. I was not able to.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Best to email photos to your local agricultural or horticulture extension agent for posititive ID. Texas Agrilife I think is "new" name or a hot line for your county. I thought the 3 lobed leaves were a sub-species of ragweed but am probably wrong about that. Also thought yellow blooming one was related to dandelion or possibly false thistle but am fairly sure I am wrong about that if it has a large carrot tap root it could be mildly or very toxic so be very careful and get a positive ID. I was not able to.
    Well, that gave me a lead to look at; looks like the big leafy thing is giant ragweed. Quick bit of research says it's main allergens are released in fall, so might have to see about a controlled burn before that happens. Also appears to be good for composting or as mulch. Crushed leaves astringent and may be disinfectant, though it seems the frequency of allergy to the plant would make it a bad idea to test this in a survival situation.