Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Child rifle

The sub 2000 is listed at 4.25 lbs empty. The Keltec SU-16D is listed at 3.7 lbs unloaded and 4.7 lbs loaded with 30 rounds of .223. Of course, it's barrel length is 9'' so I probably would have to get that taxed.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Doing a little more research, if I use a magnesium upper and lower, a carbon fiber hand guard, and a pistol length barrel, I can probably get an AR pistol under 5 lbs. Anyways, still thinking, but that Rossi .410 break open still looks like the best option. And, even if it isn't the best option....it will still fit in my collection perfectly. I always seem to take kids shooting, and they would probably like something more their size.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Finally Me My experience has been that children do not need to start shooting on a semi auto due to the complicated safety, loading and clearing procedures. They need to be working on keeping the muzzle pointed down range in a safe direction, not a 15 step loading and unloading process.

With the Rossi you have a break open with hammer.

Open and empty=safe/open and shell in chamber=loaded.

You can look at it from across the room and know it is safe.

If the hammer is back it is ready to shoot. Hammer forward it is safe.

It is a training and basic hunting weapon, and everyone needs at least one of those in their battery.

I keep the Rossi system as a backup for each of my big bore calibers. I have the standard bolt gun or semi auto and a Rossi barrel to match in case the main gun screws up. I put the collapsible stock on mine and it fits everyone.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/rossi-sh...lapsible-stock

As for use as a "home defense" gun ????

Lots of SS shotguns have been used to secure the homestead over the centuries. Besides, unless you are under direct attack by Taliban forces you do not want you 9-10 year olds involved. They need to be hiding under the bed or reloading magazines. And if they are involved, they need to have a simple efficient tool in their hands.

What you need right now, and will need for the next children coming up, and what you need for any new shooter you are teaching in the future, is a training rifle that can double as a meat getter, or an extra backup for the main firearms in the house.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-17-2015 at 11:04 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Don't worry KYRS, I am sold. For all the reasons you listed. I really like that adjustable stock option (I sound like a broker) as well.

I have a nylon 66. So far, when they pull the trigger and it doesn't go boom, they hand it to me to spend the next 10 minutes trying to get the blasted tiny shell out of the tiny little hole on the side, and do it safely. That is why I like a Cricket. Very simple. Although it still has a tiny little chamber that is hard to get stuff out, or put stuff in sometimes.

The original point of this thread was to just think about all the options for a scenario I wasn't planning on actually filling a need for. However, now I NEED a Rossi. I was planning on buying a Cricket because the one I use is my brother's. We only use it when he comes. A Rossi is about the same price.

So, how interchangeable are the barrels? On their website they have many change options. But, can I just buy one base and a whole lot of barrels? I would probably want a .20 guage, a .410, a .22lr and a .223 at least. That would give me a lot of options. Looking at their website, they have a .410/.22lr combo and a .20 guage/.223 combo, so buying 2 bases might even be better with the amount of kids I can get a rifle for.

I should have never started this thread. I better not tell my wife about you guys. You are all a bad influence on me.

It's too bad that H&R/NEF stopped production and ended the barrel accessory program.......Much easier to get additional barrel and have them fitted.
    Rossi does have barrels....called them some years back, and seemed like they were expensive, unless you bought a combo to start with.
    If I were you, and are considering adding barrels, I would call and see what's available and at what cost.

My direction was to the Handi Rifle w/all sorts of barrels....started back when they were $35 bucks for a shot gun barrel, and $55 bucks for a rifle barrel....and they had a lot of calibers available......only down side was having to have them factory fitted.

I have added some caliber barrels by purchasing on the open market....a few locked up just fine....a few I had my gun guy fit up to lock properly, and check head space.

Not sure what the Rossi requires.....

They are a useful addition.....I use the .223 Handi as my porch ground hog gun, and shoot .223 that may have a problem feeding in the AR's....if it goes in, it will go bag.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post

So, how interchangeable are the barrels? On their website they have many change options. But, can I just buy one base and a whole lot of barrels? I would probably want a .20 guage, a .410, a .22lr and a .223 at least. That would give me a lot of options. Looking at their website, they have a .410/.22lr combo and a .20 guage/.223 combo, so buying 2 bases might even be better with the amount of kids I can get a rifle for.

I should have never started this thread. I better not tell my wife about you guys. You are all a bad influence on me.
    There are two frame sizes. The 22lr/.410 uses a small frame and all the others use a large frame. The barrel studs on the youth models are also different from the adult size rifle.

I definitely would look into the three barrel set with rimfire/shotgun/centerfire barrels all come together. They will not sell individual barrels separate from the frame. You can not start with two now and buy two more barrels latter like the H&R system. The Rossi is all or nothing until you develop a base of trade. We have done some barrel swapping along the way, mostly as part of the learning process.

(They do have the Wizard system but it is more expensive than the sets.)

Nate now has a .22mag barrel that I learned about the small frame on and I have an extra shotgun barrel he could not use. I think he also got an extra shotgun barrel out of that swap. If you count using slugs he is now set up to hunt anything he finds in Ohio just using the Rossi, and it can grow with his kids as they age.

I do not have the small frame with .22lr or .410, but I have no need for either of them so I do not feel deprived.

The answer is, get the full set when you buy. And I would go with the .22lr/20ga/.223 as a starter kit. That means that stepping up to a hunting caliber from the .22lr training rifle is just a case of changing barrels. Safety, loading handling will all be the same, only the shell you drop in the chamber will change.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-17-2015 at 01:09 PM.

I have to of these Rossi SS. One is the youth model that I already described. The other is a black full size with a .22lr barrel, 20ga barrel, .308Win barrel, and a .50cal muzzle loader barrel. Yep, one can even do black powder on these things!

As Kyrat lightly mentioned, the barrels are not interchangeable from the youth and the adult models. The lug underneath the barrel is different position between the two and also the location of where the fire pin strikes is different.

As far as acquiring additional barrels, I have swapped with Kyrat, bought of ebay, and acquired off of armslist. Fitting the barrels only requires a file and sometimes isn't even needed. If it is needed, a light filing on the lug is all that is required. Last one I did took about an hour. File a few strokes, place on receiver, check fit, remove from receiver, file a few strokes and the circle continues until it fits.

I have all that I mentioned about for about $500 total investment and some barrels even have optics. That is an average price of $72 per caliber. Kinda hard to beat if you ask me.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Personally, I'd probably look at one of the Henry lever action carbines in .38/.357 and either a collapsible shooting stick or a pair with one sized for standing and the other for kneeling or sitting. .38Spl out of a longer barrel is relatively quiet and gentle, while .357 from a carbine has taken some pretty impressive game animals.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I fear you may be mistaking limitations on air guns, or local urban laws, with limitations on everything WOO.

My check of your state game laws states that .22 rimfire is legal on small game.

PA does have some strange firearms laws but illegal 22 rimfires are not one of them.
    I am all ears - I was talking to local hunters here in Chester County and I am repeating what I was told. 22 isn't legal on the east side of the county maybe local laws. cant buy a 22 air anywhere other than Cabellas. Thinking about getting the old one fixed.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Woo, .22 Air-rifles and .22 rimfire rifles are not the same thing.

The law of which you speak is a local ordinance an applicable only inside that specific borough. It does not apply to all of PA.

109-1

http://ecode360.com/6471974

I was at my local farm store yesterday and they had a Rossi .410 youth model. It was in their BB gun section. I had my son with me and he tried it out. He had no problem with shouldering, and holding it up to shoot. I think it is a winner.